2007 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what is wrong with you.

the wild card and division races started winding down this week.

if you dont like baseball and crap on people who are enjoying success then go away.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fellas, lets be cool. :cool:

There's too much fun baseball talk to be had this time of year. I don't think there was any negativity to be inferred with the Phillie fans/woodwork thing.

Take it from a Red Sox fan who continues to be amazed at how big "Red Sox Nation" grew after the 2004 World Series. I had never seen so much Sox merchandising until they won that World Series. Amazing.

And, anyway, I can completely vouch for Tony's Phanaticism. I've been staring at his signature with images of Shibe Park and Veterans Stadium for YEARS! :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For playoff predictions and discussion, please go to this thread, but feel free to keep discussing the 2007 season, plus awards (MVP, Cy Young, RoY, etc) in this thread.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What an exciting game being played tonight in Colorado!

Bottom of the 11th tied 6-6!

Can't beat a one-game playoff...except with one that goes extra innings! :D

I'm kinda hoping (even though this is NL stuff) that Matt Holliday can come up big after misplaying that flyball which allowed the tying run to score.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
And he did!

What an ending. I'm not sure he touched the plate but the game is over and Colorado is moving on. That was a playoff atmosphere!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just tremendous! Even though it was a bunch of players I have very little connection with--it was spellbinding!

That a reason why I love the post-season...especially the World Series...and hate inter-league play. The meeting between the two leagues should be confined to that special post-season moment.

=====================

And the more I saw the replay on the final play of the game, the more I thought he was safe. At first I thought he never touched the plate...but the more I squinted at the replay, it almost seemed like Holliday's hand somehow got underneath the catcher's foot. Certainly a close-enough play that I don't have a problem with the umpire's call.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The play at home is a classic example of how different people see the same thing differently. I have no doubt that he never touched home and the more I watch it the more I'm convinced.

That was a great game and fantastic finish to the regular season.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Andruw Jones is not going to be resigned in Atlanta. They want more pitching. I wonder what teams will go after Andruw. He seems to be diminishing and he wants a mint(like 17+M a season) to play.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's also going to be a few center fielders available this off-season - Aaron Rowland and Mike Cameron are free agents, Coco Crisp is all-but-guaranteed to be on the trading block (Damon probably is, too). Not quite a glut - you just don't get those unless a lot of young talent develops at the same time - but enough that I don't know if Jones will get a mint.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Don't forget the best CF available on the market this year, IMO, Torii Hunter. He'll get a few bucks from someone.

In other "free agent" news, Walt Jocketty will not return as Cardinals GM next year. Could LaRussa also be out?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
In other news, Glavine has declined his $13 million option with the Mets. I can't see him getting the same money from other clubs. Is this the end of his HOF career?

With his free agent status, Jones' sure choose a bad time to have his least productive year. He's an interesting case though; I don't think he was ever an elite player at the plate--even his 50 homer season yielded merely a .920 OPS--but he's already at 368 homers and over 1100 RBIs. That could eventually mean 550 home runs and 2000 RBIs, which would indicate a HOFer if we go by precedent, despite him never being a top offensive hitter.

The Hardball times, an essential daily baseball website, has a good article on Bonds' future.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the defensive achievements. Nine gold gloves so far is pretty impressive. Of course, Gary Maddox isn't in the HoF.....

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what a scummy move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3056443

You quit on an improving young team in early August saying that your old and your health isn't in it. You confess to your radio network that your heart hasn't been in it most of the season. You say you need to spend time with your family.

Then 10 days after the season you jump ship to handle the MINOR LEAGUE for another team?

I guess your family didn't need you around that much *rolls eyes*. Way to quit on a team mid season to do this at the end. Wow.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what is the story on that link.

doesnt work for me i guess hre at work something is blocking it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What Bell's taking still sounds like an upper management, front office job. He'd still be spending a lot of time in one place (Chicago rather than Kansas City) rather than being on the road half the time for eight months of the year.

Doesn't sound particularly duplicitous to me.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
With the likely end of an era in New York, the same appears to be happening in Atlanta.

ESPN is reporting that GM John Scherholz will resign at a Braves press conference this afternoon. (Don't see it on the site yet, so no link)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks