What's new

2007 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Awesome Monday for Ratatouille. I know it won't outgross Shrek, but I want it to play all summer.

As for Transformers, I agree with Timothy. I think mid to high 200's is probable, with a strong international take as well. It has enough Bay problems to not really connect with PLENTY of moviegoers, but it works well enough to get repeat viewings from teenage boys, the small die hard fanbase, and the effects weenies. We'll know more next weekend (after Potter opens).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I agree, it won't outpace shrek... which is incredibly sad considering how much better a film it is.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I took in Ratatouille for a second time tonight. I was quite surprised. The turnout for the 7.00 PM on a Tuesday night was pretty respectable. I hope the show has a good long summer run, because it deserves it. So far it is the best of the big Spring and Summer movies that I have seen.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The $8 million preview haul for "Transformers" officially ranks third all-time behind the preview tallies of Pirates 3 ($13.2 million) and ID4 ($11.1 million).

The early word on Tuesday's opening puts the movie in the neighborhood of $27-31 million, easily giving it the biggest Tuesday mark in history, as well as the biggest single day gross of any film directed by Michael Bay.

DreamWorks and Paramount estimate the film will have earned well north of $150 million by the end of Monday. For the Friday-thru-Sunday portion of its opening (based on these early numbers), "Transformers" looks to give DreamWorks their third best opening ever behind "Shrek the Third" ($121.6 million) and "Shrek 2" ($108.0 million). For Paramount, TF is also expected to give the studio their third best debut mark in their history behind Shrek 3 and "War of the Worlds" ($64.9 million).

TF could give director Michael Bay the biggest opening mark (Friday-thru-Sunday) he's ever had, passing the $59.1 million start of "Pearl Harbor" back in '01. This is exactly how the industry wanted July to start and the studios are hoping this is a sign of things to come for the rest of the summer after June registered disappointing results at the box office.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree. It's the darkest of the books to date, and Harry's actually kind of unlikeable throughout much of the story so that might turn off some people. I think Imelda Staunton is miscast as Umbridge, as well. I'm re-reading the book now and I definitely don't see her as the character described in the book.

Oh, and the backpedaling begins...

Hollywood's Hot Summer Turns Ho-Hum

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Transformers" pulled in $27.4 million yesterday, giving it a 1.5 day haul of $36.3 million. The movie earned the biggest Tuesday mark in history, besting the $15.7 million haul of Pirates 2 (its fifth day in theaters) from last year.

The best box office tally ever for the Fourth of July (single day) belongs to "Spider-Man 2", which pulled in just under $22 million back in '04 (a Sunday). DreamWorks and Paramount are hopeful that "Transformers" could capture that record.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Well, Goblet was the darkest to that point and it still managed to out gross the second and third films. Plus the extended action sequence that closes the novel should play like gangbusters on the big screen.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I had big problems with that sequence in the book. It went on for way too long, and it seemed written specifically for the screen (the opening of Goblet, great as it was, felt heavily influenced by the screen as well).

--
H

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Folks, this is the box office thread, please take the Harry Potter discussion to the appropriate thread. Y'all are spoiling it for those who haven't read the book, but might go see the film.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The early word on Wednesday's numbers is that "Transformers" earned the biggest Fourth of July single day haul in history. The movie looks to have pulled in close to $30 million yesterday, easily besting the near $22 million previous record mark by "Spider-Man 2" three years ago.

In 2004, the Fourth of July fell on a Sunday and was the fifth day of business for Spidey 2. Official numbers will be posted later today.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The daily grosses for "Transformers" thus far (according to revised studio estimates)...

Monday night previews: $8.8 million
Tuesday opening: $27.8 million
Wednesday (4th of July): $29.1 million (best all-time for the holiday)

The $29.1 million haul also ranks as the third best Wednesday mark in history (its the best ever for a non-sequel), trailing only "Spider-Man 2" ($40.4 million) and 'The Return of the King' ($34.5 million).

After 2.5 days in theaters the movie has pocketed $65.7 million. The industry now predicts a 6.5 day haul of more than $150 million.

Disney/Pixar's "Ratatouille" pulled in $10.3 million yesterday, pushing its cume to $72.7 million. "Live Free or Die Hard" earned $6.1 million, lifting its total haul to $63.2 million.

The top ten generated nearly $60 million worth of business just yesterday. After a disappointing month of business, July is getting off to the kind of start that the industry had hoped for. Both TF and "Ratatouille" will pass the century mark this weekend, while DH4 will have amassed well over $80 million by the end of Sunday night.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
But July openings effectively "end" with HP5, leaving only one film that's mainstream popular (Bourne) in the summer. So unless TF or Ratatouille (or HP5) have a ridiculous month, I still see this as a bump, not a change in direction.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

There are still a few others that could have big paydays.
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
The Simpsons Movie
and perhaps Hairspray

and what about Rush Hour 3?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think Rush Hour 3 would have been a given a couple years ago but it seems like they waited to long for this sequel and there isn't as much interest. Maybe that will change as we get closer. Heck they outgrossed both Bourne movies respectfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks