2007 at the Box Office

DavidPla

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Die Hard did pretty good with 33 M. How does that translate with inflation with the opening of the other three Die Hards?

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Die Hard had a staggered release. Box Office Mojo has the first weekend as $601,851 from 21 theaters. Its first weekend in wide release brought in $7.1 million from 1,276 theaters.

Die Hard 2: Die Harder opened to $21.7 million in 2,507 theaters. DHWAV opened to similar numbers: $22.2 million from 2,579 theaters.

So LFODH had the best opening weekend of the series, and the widest release. Its per theater take was slightly better than the earlier two sequels and significantly better than the original when inflation is not taken into consideration.

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Weekend Estimates

#1 "Ratatouille" $47.2 million
#2 "Live Free or Die Hard" 33.1 million ($48.2 million)
#3 "Evan Almighty" $15.1 million ($60.6 million) -52%
#4 "1408" $10.6 million ($40.4 million) -48%
#5 "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" $9.0 million ($114.8 million) -55%
#6 "Knocked Up" $7.4 million ($122.4 million) -32%
#7 "Ocean's Thirteen" $6.0 million ($102.1 million) -47%
#8 "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" $5.0 million ($295.8 million) -30%
#9 "Sicko" $4.5 million ($4.6 million)
#10 "Evening" $3.5 million

Thanks to a combined top ten tally of $141.6 million, the four-week old industry slump has been broken. The top ten registered a nearly 2% increase in business compared to this frame from last year (when "Superman Returns" got out of the gates with its $52.5 million opening), as well as a much more impressive 9% bump over this session from '05.

2007's year-to-date domestic gross now stands at $4.658 billion, which is up 4% compared to last year ($4.488 billion), up 8% compared to '05 ($4.305 billion), about 1% below 2004's tally ($4.710 billion), and a nearly 6% improvement over '03 ($4.411 billion).

In terms of overall ticket sales, 2007 has so far sold about 695 million theater admissions for the year. Compared to past years, '06 had sold 682 million admissions by this time, '05 had moved nearly 673 million, '04 sold a mammoth 758 million tickets, while '03 had sold an equally impressive 731 million by this point.

On to the top ten...

Disney/Pixar's new animated adventure, "Ratatouille", became the latest big summer '07 entry to have a disappointing opening weekend tally. "Ratatouille" pulled in just over $47 million this weekend, giving it the sixth best debut of the eight movies Pixar has produced. The movie's $11,986 per-theater average from its 3,940 locations was the best of the top ten. In terms of overall ticket sales, it ranks as the seventh best opener of the eight movies.

Theater admissions sold on opening weekend (in wide release)...
#1 "Finding Nemo" 11.66 million
#2 "The Incredibles" 11.35 million
#3 "Toy Story 2" 11.30 million
#4 "Monster's, Inc." 11.06 million
#5 "Cars" 9.13 million
#6 "A Bug's Life" 7.10 million
#7 "Ratatouille" 7.04 million
#8 "Toy Story" 6.69 million

Despite the lower than expected debut, Disney/Pixar expect "Ratatouille" to perform to very strong business over the course of this week's Fourth of July holiday period. At the end of the day, the movie will have little difficulty becoming yet another $100 million-plus earning hit for Pixar Studios.

This weekend saw the return of super cop John McClane as "Live Free or Die Hard" debuted in second place. Unlike "Ratatouille", this one performed above expectations and earned the strongest opening for the 'Die Hard' franchise. The movie pulled in $33.1 million over the Friday-thru-Sunday portion of its release, besting the series' previous high of $22.1 million by 1995's "Die Hard with a Vengeance". Since Wednesday, the movie has earned more than $48 million. The movie's $9,727 per-theater average (for the Friday-thru-Sunday portion of its opening) from its 3,408 theaters was the third best of the top ten.

In terms of overall ticket sales, DH4 trails both 'Vengeance' and DH2 in number of theater admissions sold during their respective opening weekends (in wide release).

"Die Hard 2: Die Harder" 5.13 million (1990)
"Die Hard with a Vengeance" 5.10 million (1995)
"Live Free or Die Hard" 4.94 million (2007)
"Die Hard" 1.73 million (1988)

Counting the Wednesday and Thursday totals, DH4 sold 7.19 million theater admissions. Fox execs have to be ecstatic because the movie looks to have firmly re-ignited the DH franchise, especially considering the movie's 20% Friday-to-Saturday jump in business, indicating very strong word of mouth. The studio is already talking about doing a fifth DH adventure.

DH4 will also end up giving star Bruce Willis his first $100 million-plus performer as the headlining star since 1999's "The Sixth Sense" ($293.5 million). Overall, it will be only the actor's second $100 million-plus earner in his last 18 movies. Last year's animated hit, "Over the Hedge" ($155.0 million), is the other. Congrats to Fox and Willis in their successful attempt to re-launch the 19-year-old franchise. Look for DH5 to hit theaters in either 2009 or 2010.

Universal's "Evan Almighty" fell to the third slot this weekend as it suffered a 52% hit in business. The movie has now tallied $60.6 million and looks headed for a final mark in the area of $90-$100 million. That will be great for star Steve Carell, but the movie boasted a budget of more than $175 million, making it the most expensive live-action comedy ever made. This one will need to do major league business overseas and on home video if the studio is going to see a return on their investment. Many are already labeling 'Evan' as "the first big disappointment of the summer season".

MGM/Weinstein's "1408" took a moderate 48% dip in business this weekend (most films of this genre usually experience steeper second-weekend declines) and saw its cume rise to $40.4 million. The film, which cost only $25 million to make, looks headed for a final mark in the neighborhood of $75-$85 million, making it an extremely profitable hit for the two studios.

The horror flick will also become the biggest hit for star John Cusack minus the assistance of Hollywood A-listers like Julia Roberts ("America's Sweethearts") and Nicolas Cage ("Con Air"). Co-star Samuel L. Jackson has little more than a glorified cameo in "1408". The vast majority of the movie rests on the shoulders of Cusack. Congrats to Cusack, as well as the two studios behind "1408" as it will join "Disturbia" ($78.6 million) as a rare hit for the genre this year.

Fox's "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" took another steep hit of 55%, but has so far pulled in just under $115 million. The studio announced this week that they are indeed going ahead with a third FF adventure. A spin-off feature for the Silver Surfer is already in the script phase.

Universal's "Knocked Up" continues to show strong legs as it lost only 32% of its business this weekend, which was the second best hold of the top ten. The movie is now sitting on a domestic haul of $122.4 million.

Disney's Pirates 3 had the best percentage hold of the top ten as it fell off by only 30%. The movie has now earned $295.8 million domestically and this time next weekend should see the flick pass the triple-century mark. Overseas, the three-quel became only the seventh film in history to pass the $600 million plateau ($608.9 million), joining "Titanic" ($1.2 billion), 'The Return of the King' ($741.9 million), "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" ($658.9 million), Pirates 2 ($642.9 million), "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" ($614.7 million), and "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" ($602.2 million). Pirates 3 also became the ninth movie in history to top the $900 million mark in global box office returns with its $904.7 million booty, which makes it the biggest worldwide hit of the year thus far.

Lionsgate's "Sicko" had a stellar session of business as it saw a massive 6,425% increase in business thanks to it entering 440 more locations this weekend compared to 1 theater it was in last week. The movie's $10,204 per-theater average from its 440 theaters was the second best of the top ten. The latest documentary from Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore, carried a cost of only $9 million and should go on to be a very profitable venture for Moore and the two studios.

Focus Features' "Evening" rounds out the top ten as it pulled in $3.5 million. The movie earned a so-so average of $3,595 from its modest 977 locations. The studio is hoping this one will turn into a leggy hit.

Next weekend the industry is hoping for monster results as DreamWorks/Paramount's hugely anticipated "Transformers" hits more than 4,000 theaters on Tuesday (many theaters will be previewing the movie on Monday night). WB's comedy "License to Wed" also opens on Tuesday in more than 2,600 locations.

All in all, June was a pretty tough month for the industry after the record-shattering month of May, which will produce three $300 million-plus earners (an industry first). "Transformers" is expected to get July off to a monstrous start and pull in gigantic numbers over the course of its 6.5 day opening. Many believe that the latest from Michael Bay and producer Steven Spielberg will end up becoming the biggest domestic hit of the summer. Judging by the initial reactions, DreamWorks and Paramount are justified in feeling confident about the movie's box office prospects.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Ratatouille should reach the high 100s (165-185). And once it gets that high, perhaps creative Hollywood accounting will be on it's side - helping it pass 200 million (wishful thinking
). We'll see.

I don't see 300 million domestic. 250+ tops.

But then I haven't seen it yet. Could Shia help with the female quadrant?

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Biggest Trilogies

(domestic)
#1 "Star Wars" Prequel Trilogy $1.122 billion
#2 "Spider-Man" $1.111 billion
#3 "Star Wars" Original Trilogy $1.060 billion
#4 "The Lord of the Rings" $1.034 billion
#5 "Pirates of the Caribbean" $1.024 billion

(worldwide)
#1 "The Lord of the Rings" $2.913 billion
#2 "Pirates of the Caribbean" $2.625 billion
#3 "Spider-Man" $2.488 billion
#4 "Star Wars" Prequel Trilogy $2.415 billion
#5 "Jurassic Park" $1.902 billion
NOTE: Within a few days, Shrek will replace JP at #5.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton

I wonder if Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy will make that list? I haven't read the books, so I have no idea what to expect.

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Mike, many within the industry feel (hope) that "Transformers" could be this year's ID4. I think the movie will be a huge hit, but how huge is the real question. I don't know if Shia will lure in more female viewers or not, but the general consensus (i.e. the only thing everyone pretty much agrees with) is that TF will become the biggest box office performer director Michael Bay has ever had.

All it could take is for one gigantic hit to turn the summer around and give it a shot at matching the gaudy numbers put up by '02, '03, and '04. Remember, 2004's record-shattering pace was undone by a late summer/early fall slump that the industry didn't recover from until the October release of "Shark Tale".

The studios are putting a lot of pressure on the July/August releases to undo the damage done by the lower-than-expected box office performance of June. If TF gets off to a major start, than many within the industry will breath a big sigh of relief.

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Greg, depending on how big "The Golden Compass" is this fall will go a long way in determining what kind of run the trilogy will have both domestically and worldwide at the box office.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton

I couldn't agree more. I caught myself thinking about moving to Europe during the movie, and then the thought of not having easy access to American films made me realize that I'll be stuck paying for health care the rest of my life. Oh well... maybe we'll retire to Canada in 40 years.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
You'd have discovered that Mr. Moore overstated his case anyhow. Like any solution in this world, you're dealing with pluses and minuses. Health care schemes are no different.

How long is "Transformers"? If it keeps its running time lean, then I think it'll be in good shape. LFODH has proved, I think, that an audience exists for simple crowd pleasers without all the pretentious BS attached.
In light of what we have seen so far this summer, I bet Warner Bros. is really happy that David Yates brought in the fifth Harry Potter as the leanest movie yet.

Chris Atkins

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

No such thing as a free lunch, Greg. Europeans pay lots more taxes than we do so they can fund their public health care programs. And it's not just the "rich" paying the extra taxes either.

Adam_S

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Funny I'm thinking it'll do tremendously well to hit 80 million for the three day weekend, and another 30 combined on Wednesday and Thursday. Where's the Sixth day come from?

Adam_S

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Kirk Loder's review actually contains a lot of research to put Moore's perspective in perspective. While obviously the US situation is not ideal, neither is healthcare ideal in France, England, Canada or Cuba.

Adam_S

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
One thing that surprised me about Ratatouille. No trailers for Golden Compass, Enchanted, Stardust or Harry Potter were attached, I was kinda stunned it was Bee Movie (looks unbelievably awful in every respect) Bratz, Underdog, Wall-E and Mr. Bean's Holiday (only laughs from audience were from the early clips from the first mr Bean).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Though, at least at theaters in my area, the Transformers plays at 8pm tonight ONLY. So it's not like it starts at 8pm and then has some 10pm shows or something later in the evening, at all the locations around me that I've looked the 8pm show is the only show tonight.

Tomorrow is when it goes on regular schedule, and I'll be seeing it at 10pm tomorrow night, woohoo!!!

Holadem

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Funny, I was just gonna post the "opposite": They are blitzing the bigger theaters around here with five showings tonight starting at 8PM... Only 1 theater (out of 10) is having a single 8PM screening.

--
H

JediFonger

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
other than the obvious transformers, what do you think of license to wed? chic flix can be very popular @times like knocked up.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
singhjabar