What's new

2007 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Chris,
Compared to his Lincoln project, Indy IV is a waste of time for me. I have no doubt it'll be fun and interesting, but I'd rather he spent his considerable talent on NOT A SEQUEL. no matter what is said, I still believe this is a movie being done for money (Ford's post-divorce nest egg, LFL's Indy merchandise). It doesn't mean it won't be done well. I know it will be. But Lincoln is a project that's been driving Spielberg (the most talented of the three) for some time. I'd rather see that. By a LARGE factor.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Oh, he'll do both. Eventually. But why not Lincoln and another NEW adventure? Why go back to Indy? I know the response is "why not?"

Simple. I don't believe Spielberg will bring his total package to something he views as a bit of an obligation. I wouldn't want Cameron doing T4. I don't want Mann doing Miami Vice 2. Unless they run to it of their own accord.

I'm not saying it's beneath Spielberg. Just that the other things percolating in his head are more interesting to me.

Why doesn't LFL do something new? They are living in the 80's. With all of this new technology, GL is STILL making stuff from 1975 and 1978. And sucking Spielberg in with him.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I don't think that's fair (particularly that last bit about recycling old stuff; See Peter Jackson's King Kong).

Back to Indy: Remember it was Lucas that rejected Darabont/Spielberg's script, the same script that Darabont worked very closely with Spielberg on. That's hardly evidence that Lucas is "sucking" Spielberg into Indy 4.

Heck, based on what we know about the process of Indy 4, it seems like Lucas is the one that least wants to do it or wants to take enough time to get it done right.

On the sequel thing, I am very glad that Spielberg did Indy 2 and 3 and that Cameron did T2. Sequels aren't bad in and of themselves. They just need new materials and fresh ideas to work. I am far more worried about that aspect of Indy 4 then about what Indy 4 will do to Spielberg's schedule.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Peter Jackson wasn't doing HIS own movie when he did King Kong. LFL is content to recycle *their* old products. PJ is following that up right now with an adaptation of a very challenging novel. Where is Red Tails in it's production lifecycle? And if you recall, I pushed against PJ doing The Hobbit over The Lovely Bones.

And I'd wager Spielberg is the guy they had to drag into this. How many times can I bring up the LFL Indy merchandising pump they are trying to prime with this film. His company NEEDS the funding stream. Star Wars can only do so much with TV and DVD rereleases. None of that impacts the film...merely the impetus. Stating that Lucas might be the only one who wants to "do it right" is a bit of a stretch. Spielberg hardly cuts corners. I seem to recall he's pumped out a LOT MORE quality product than GL in a lot less time.

Long story short, Indy IV is being made because of money. Spielberg is a director for hire, to some extent. I am certain he has more input than that, but it's not too far from the truth. Want to bet that Lincoln is a superior film than Indy IV :) I'll make that wager now.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Director for hire? That's total bull. He's made nothing in the last 8 years to support that theory. In fact, he's turned down the opportunity to direct "Harry Potter" and "Spider-Man" simply because they were too easy and didn't challenge him enough. He wouldn't be wasting his time directing this if he didn't find a challenge in it.

Indy IV being made because of money? Damn right... so is nearly EVERY movie that is being made. But does Spielberg really need the money by doing this? Hell no. I don't think he is somebody that is being pushed into things. If he's directing this, it must excite him just as much as doing "Lincoln" excites him. And I don't see a 60 year old Indy action figure exactly flying off the shelves next summer.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I just don't see Indy being that big in merchandising. Hell, when I was a kid it was all about Star Wars toys- yeah there were Indy toys but I really never knew anyone much into them. And I doubt there will be a big clamor for an action figure of a 65 year old. Video games? They've been making Indy video games all along so they don't need the movie for a tie-in.

I just don't see the merchandising stream for another Indy being anything close to even Spiderman, Pirates, Transformers, or just about anything else. If Lucas really needs merchandising then he should fast track those Star Wars television shows- that's likely to pull a helluva lot more revenue in and over a longer period as well.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I don't think any director, producer, or most actors would turn down a hefty paycheck. :) I just hope Chuck's Lincoln doesn't end up like Oliver Stone's Nixon who even admitted to fabricating the facts. I sincerely hope that SS will deliver a non-agenda film about Lincoln. If he does suceed in that, he'll get my $$. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think there is a huge difference in what makes a film "quality". I consider "Star Wars" in the same breath as Ben Hur, Citizen Kane, etc.

The ability to entertain and provide masterful technical work is it's own craft. Example: I can admire the craft and purpose of "Schindler's List" but I can also admire the craft of "Jaws".

In the end, "Important" films and films that aren't "important" still in the end vie for my $ and for me to remember them as entertaining enough to want to take part.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think a Lincoln film would be tremendously entertaining. What entertains me now is somewhat different than what entertained me at 15 years of age. Or even 25. I love nostalgia, but it can be blinding.

I'm simply more excited about a Spielberg film about one of our greatest presidents than I am a FOURTH film about a fictional archaeologist. It has nothing to do with "important"...that is subjective anyway.

Indy merchandising won't be about action figures, and they aren't doing it to sell Indy IV stuff. They are doing it to sell Indy I-IV stuff. Like books, posters, etc. It's the other (admittedly lesser) cash cow. A movie is a rising tide, and merchandise the boats in the harbor. That's why SW sold much better in 1999, 2002, and 2005 than in the intervening years. Again, I am not knocking the film. I just think it is of less value than other projects Spielberg (and Lucas, frankly) are contemplating. I'm sure it will have value (maybe they'll really focus on the themes of aging gracefully, of obsession, of parenthood), but comparatively, I do feel safe with my Lincoln bet. There is simply more thematic material there. And Spielberg has a fire for it. He has an interest in Indy (which does control his schedule, Lincoln does not). There is a difference.

Chris, I believe McCallum as far as I can throw him. Nice guy, but we'll see. I bet PJ is on his NEXT film after Bones when I hear pre-pro on Red Tails :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The difference between Nathanson and Darabont (other than Nathanson not having a Shawshank-caliber film under his belt) is that Nathanson acted with class like a professional. Darabont doesn't fit well into the screenwriter-for-hire category.

MikeRS

Screenwriter

I think he only tried it out as a way to deal with the aftermath of the Majestic "failure" (ie:take a couple of years off directing, lick his wounds, etc..).

Directors are definitely known for their egos. ;)

Sadly, screenwriters are very low on the totem pole in La La land.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I just don't see that being a drop in the bucket compared to what most other franchises do. Indy peripherals have never been *that* popular and a new movie isn't really going to change that.

I would be willing to bet that Star Wars merchandise in an "off" (ie no new Star Wars film) year would more than double what Indy merchandise would sell next year.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I guess that's pretty good. Most of the money will be made today and tomorrow with all the kids out of school.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Does that number include Thursday midnight showings?

Here's the ShowBizData #s

Shrek the Third 40.1 40.1
Spider-Man 3 7.9 261.3 (-54%)
28 Weeks Later 1.7 15.1 (-57%)
Disturbia 1.2 68.9 (-24%)
Georgia Rule 1.1 10.2

What a hold for Disturbia.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Friday Estimates

#1 "Shrek the Third" $38.1 million ($39.0 million)
#2 "Spider-Man 3" $8.0 million ($261.4 million) 53% Friday-to-Friday drop
#3 "28 Weeks Later" $1.7 million ($15.1 million) 57% Friday-to-Friday drop
#4 "Disturbia" $1.2 million ($68.8 million) 26% Friday-to-Friday drop
#5 "Georgia Rule" $1.1 million ($10.2 million) 41% Friday-to-Friday drop
#6 "Fracture" $675K ($32.9 million) 18% Friday-to-Friday drop
#7 "Delta Farce" $600K ($4.9 million) 49% Friday-to-Friday drop
#8 "The Invisible" $435K ($16.8 million) 42% Friday-to-Friday drop
#9 "Hot Fuzz" $385K ($20.2 million) 25% Friday-to-Friday drop
#10 "Next" $313K ($15.7 million) 36% Friday-to-Friday drop

DreamWorks/Paramount's "Shrek the Third" easily dominated the box office yesterday as it pulled in a stellar $38.1 million during its opening day. That marks the best opening day mark ever for both studios, as well as the best for an animated movie, besting the $28.3 million mark of "Shrek 2". Overall, Shrek 3 earned the seventh best Friday mark in history, as well as the ninth best opening day tally. The $38.1 million haul is second only to the first-Saturday mark of "Shrek 2" ($44.7 million) all-time for an animated film's single day gross.

BIGGEST FRIDAY GROSSES
#1 "Spider-Man 3" $59.8 million
#2 "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" $55.8 million
#3 "X-Men: The Last Stand" $45.1 million
#4 "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" $40.1 million
#5 "Spider-Man" $39.4 million
#6 "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" $38.3 million
#7 "Shrek the Third" $38.1 million
#8 "Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith" 33.5 million
#9 "Spider-Man 2" $32.4 million
#10 "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" $32.3 million

BIGGEST OPENING DAY GROSSES
#1 "Spider-Man 3" $59.8 million (Friday)
#2 "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" $55.8 million (Friday)
#3 "Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith" $50.0 million (Thursday)
#4 "X-Men: The Last Stand" $45.1 million (Friday)
#5 "Spider-Man 2" $40.4 million (Wednesday)
#6 "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" $40.1 million (Friday)
#7 "Spider-Man" $39.4 million (Friday)
#8 "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" $38.3 million (Friday)
#9 "Shrek the Third" $38.1 million (Friday)
#10 "The Matrix Reloaded" $37.5 million (Thursday)

With the first two Shrek movies, the Friday gross was the smallest of their respective three-day tallies, with business increasing significantly on Saturday and Sunday due to children being out of school, as well as those are the biggest movie-going days for the family crowd. While many believe that "Shrek the Third" will post a phenomenal number for Saturday, it could become the first film in history to earn over $40 million on a Sunday.

In any case, the movie looks headed for an opening mark in the neighborhood of $115-$125 million, easily making it the biggest opening animated film in history, and the third best debut overall behind Spidey 3 and Pirates 2. In the process, it would also give both DreamWorks and Paramount the biggest opening weekend haul in their respective histories.

Despite expanding to a record-shattering 4,324 locations, Sony's "Spider-Man 3" still saw a 54% hit in its Friday-to-Friday numbers. After 15 days in theaters, the movie has earned a mammoth $261.4 million. Compared to the first two Spidey flicks, "Spider-Man 2" had tallied $272.7 million after its first 15 days, while "Spider-Man" had earned $252.4 million. By the end of the weekend, Spidey 3 will have fallen behind the pace of both films. Spidey 3 will earn in the area of $25-$29 million this weekend, making it one of only 21 films to pull in more than $20 million during each of its first three weekends of release.

"28 Weeks Later" lost a sizeable 57%, while "Disturbia" continues to show strong legs. "Georgia Rule" rounds out the top five as it was off a moderate 41%.

Chris, the $38.1 million mark is minus the $900K Shrek 3 made from the Thursday night previews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks