1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

It would NEVER happen but I could only see taking the game away if it was clear the Patriots won due to the stealing of signals. The camcorder was taken in the first quarter when it was still a close game. Jets security knew the tape was confiscated so by extension so did Mangini. They could have easily changed their calls after. I can't see any way to prove the Jets lost because of the taping. The Patriots blew the Jets out without the help of the tape.

I don't intend to diminish the clearly illegal use of a camcorder to steal signals. That said, I don't think people/media are separating the use of a camcorder, which is clearly way out-of-line, from the practice of stealing signals. Stealing signals is a well known practice but it's being blown up as this horrible, shocking 'can you believe a team is doing this?!'. IMO, the only thing that should get that reaction is the camcorder. If people want to freak out about the very concept of signals being stolen, well, they should look in the proverbial mirror at their own team. It happens in every game, every week. Just listen to the ex-players and coaches out there weighing in on this.

Paul, thanks for that link about the Dolphins. I had heard that story but didn't find a link.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Paul,
    Your post is a big difficult to respond to because being a Pats fan, I have to wonder how much of being a fan can cloud anyones judgement. I'm guilty of this too so I'm not just pointing a finger.

Given the current climate with the cheating in Baseball and what little they did and how the NBA is in such chambles, I think Football being a clean sport as people thought will nip it in the bud quick. They can't afford a PR nightmare like Baseball and the NBA. Baseball is dealing with rabid cheating and the NBA is dealing with a ref who bet on games and influenced the score.

I'm sorry the Pats got caught but it is bound to happen and hell is to pay for it. "But the other guys are doing it" is not a valid reason and the NFL will make sure it doesn't happen again.

3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    That's the natural response. Success always breeds contempt.

5. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Unfortunately all it is, is a story that appears to not be truth. The Dolphins did not record Brady's audibles.

Besides there would be no reason to record audibles since they could simply study television tapes of the games to get that information. By the way, there is nothing in the rules book against studying tapes.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I really liked that one, Casey. [​IMG]

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I agree that that would certainly get the Pats attention, but is there any precedent for a game, in essence, being forfeited? I don't remember that happening in the NFL or MLB or the NBA. I like this idea better than any other suggested penalty, but there is zero chance of it happening. Let's face it, you could watch a referee in the end zone after the game collecting his payoff cash, the league is still going to say we can't change the game's outcome.

I only remember one victory every being taken away, and then the game was replayed. The San Diego MISL (indoor soccer) defeated a team at home in the playoffs and due to a bad referee's call (if I remember correctly) the league said play the game again. SD won again. Wouldn't you know it, the only dominant team SD has ever had was in indoor soccer.

What I'd like to see happen is for the 1st round pick the Pats have from Cleveland, be taken away. That will be a very early pick and could represent an impact player. Everything I read says it will be a 2nd rounder at the highest and a 2nd day pick. That's not enough, for a team with a history.

I do believe this taints their record some. Champions win a lot of close games and knowing the other team's signals really makes a difference in a close game and can probably help close games become blowouts. When a QB knows that the defense will do, jeez, that's like knowing the other guy's poker hand.

8. Scott Merryfield

Dallas has Cleveland's 2008 first round draft pick, courtesy of a 2007 draft day deal that allowed the Browns to draft Brady Quinn.

9. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I wish my beloved Falcons would start stealing some signals. Maybe then we could win a game.

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    A trade I like more every day. McFadden would look good in Cowboys Silver and Blue, eh [​IMG]

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

McFadden seems to be the choice if Cleveland gets the 1st pick in the draft. I think he is the consensus #1 but you never know. I never heard of a bunch of these #1 picks who come out of nowhere with a big combine effort.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I was watching the NFL show on HBO and I thought they said that NE had more picks this coming draft than anyone, including two first rounders. I'd better get the wax out of my ears.[​IMG]

13. Scott Merryfield

The Pats may very well have multiple 1st round picks, but they couldn't have come from Cleveland -- unless the Browns were dumb enough to trade away their #1 pick in 2009, too.

14. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

The Patriots have the Niners first round pick if I am not mistaken.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

16. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

I'm sorry, but this is just too damn funny...

[​IMG]

17. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

So I guess Goodell will be fining every team in the league 100 mil then? The only thing the Patriots did different from other teams was break the rule pertaining to video cameras. They're all stealing signals so I guess they're all cheating. See my earlier link to Shanahan's comments as a case in point.

Sorry, I'm getting tired of the holier than thou comments coming out from other teams coaches and players, acting as if no one else steals signals. Why do teams employ lip readers? Why do teams have multiple defensive coaches sending in signals (1 real and the others decoys)? Why do coaches cover their mouth with the play sheets? Are they all doing it in case the Patriots have advances scouts in the stands or do they know the other teams are doing it as well? We know the Broncos do it, along with illegal blocking techniques.

Another thing that seems to be lost in all this. Stealing defensive signals helps the offense only. The core of the 3 Patriots championship teams was defense. No one in the media wants to talk about that, though.

Trey, that logo is hysterical [​IMG]

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The NFL punished the Patriots.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

500k fine for Belichick, $250k to the Pats organization

Plus they lose their first round pick if they make the playoffs. If not they lose a 2nd and 3rd.

IMHO it wasn't enough.

19. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

tyler payne
    Congratulations Mr. Goodell, you are now officially the Owners Bitch.

So now any team that can afford $750 thousand dollars, and deems that a first round pick is an acceptable loss (or if they have multiple first round picks) can break league rules.

Maybe I'm going a little overboard, but after bringing the hammer down on player conduct I just feel like he folded on this situation.

tyler

20. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

tyler payne
    Well, the good news is that I don't think this weeks picks can be much worse than last week.
    Week 2 Picks

Carolina over Houston
    Cincy over Cleveland
    Jacksonville over Atlanta
    Green Bay over NY Giants
    Pittsburgh over Buffalo
    St. Louis over San Francisco
    New Orleans over Tampa Bay
    Indianapolis over Tennessee
    Seattle over Arizona
    Detroit over Minnesota
    Dallas over Miami