What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the latest Spygate stories.

I maintain that taping signals is not cheating, because the rules allow it to happen from an enclosed position away from the coaches. The Patriots broke that rule and deserved to be punished. Most of the NFL tries and does steal signals and there's proof of it linked in this thread.

That said, I want an investigation now. Either the Patriots have done something beyond stealing signals and are cheaters (and I'll hang my head in shame) or they're not and don't deserve this cloud over their heads. An investigation will clear it up either way.

I do find the timing of these stories to be suspect. It appears to me that people are trying to influence the game. How can the Patriots not have this in the back of their minds?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Oh, it will be in the back of their heads alright. Just like it was the first few weeks of the season. Remember how that worked out for their opponents? I figure the same result tomorrow. My final official prediction- Patriots 38, Giants 24.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's the awful two weeks between the Super Bowl. There is nothing to talk about and people start reflecting on the season. So it makes sense that this would come up because right behind being undefeated, Spygate defines the Pats season. I doubt there is anything malicious about it regarding the Super Bowl. I'd like to say I feel bad for Pats fans because no matter what, they'll always have that taint on their season and their legacy. But it's not a very big taint, and it'll be a big legacy, so I'm sure they'll survive. That said, I will throw it in the Pats fans' faces every time we argue about NFL dynasties, just because I can :)

I'd like to think there is a game tomorrow, but it's tough getting excited for a coronation. NFL dynasties have never lost a SB, and I doubt the Pats will be the first. At this point, I simply hope Randy Moss signs with the Dolphins for some phat cash after the season.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Patriots 37, Giants 26. Jim cashes in his NYG +12 ticket to break even on last week's Vegas trip.

(If by some miracle the Giants win, I've got that covered with a modest money line bet as well)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Well, I guess this is the last prediction of the season (unless I strap myself to a sofa Clockwork Orange Style and watch the pro bowl)....

I think the Pats will come out firing and try to get ahead quickly on the Giants, and if they do, I doubt they let up. I predict a totally different game than the Chargers with more 5 wide and using Faulk out of the backfield. So with that said, it will be a high scoring affair or a Pats blowout. Manning will get his first INT of the playoffs.

so, hmm, either 42-23 Pats or hmm...35-27 Pats.

I would have taken +14, not sure about +11.5

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the Giants will looks to shorten the game with their running attack, and blitz the hell out of Brady ('course the Pats will counter with screens and the big bomb). The Pats will force Manning to beat them by stuffing the run, and decoy Manning into throwing into coverage to get turnovers and quick scores to demoralize the Giants. The +12 to +11.5 line is probably close for this game as bettors just aren't believing in the upsets for this Super Bowl.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Super Bowl upsets..... my mind is fading

Pats over the Rams
Jets over the Colts

What others ?

And.... as for taping the walk-through, has there been a statement that taping the walk-through is in violation of league rules ? I listened to some chatter on ESPN radio last night, and the actual legality of it was never discussed, just that it occurred.

Art Monk - about time !!!!!

Thanks

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Good call on Pitt over Seattle.... Wasn't Pitt the first team to win every playoff game on the road (not sure if they were considered "home" for the SB, but does that really count ?)

Guess we need to start looking at the spreads on these "underdogs"...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
No they were the favorites.

I found a web page with a list of the odds from past games but I'm not certain if it is accurate. Here is the list of SB dogs that won from the list.

Jets
Chiefs
Colts
Dolphins
Raiders
Skins
Raiders
Skins
Giants
Denver
Pats
Bucs

Here is a the link to the page.

Past Super Bowl Matchups - Winners - Odds

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What's going one with a legal action involving Randy Moss in Florida? I understand he's also an unrestricted free agent after this season. If he doesn't stay with the Pats, he a greedy fool.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Yeah..... that would be a swift move, though during his media week interviews he stated he would finish his career in NE. Then Brady followed up that if Moss left, he would follow Moss wherever he went.

Yeah... I can see that happening ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My guess 39-21 in favor of the Patriots, I don't see any problems with them covering the opening point spread of 14 (though it's now down around 11.5 or so).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

You can blame the NFL for this. If the league had been more active when it was questioned about destroying the evidence from Spygate 1 it might not have gotten so many journalists suspicious.
Several media outlets have been working on this sort of story for weeks and weeks now and it was likely going to break whether New England had made it to the Super Bowl or not.

If they're guilty, then simply taking away a draft choice, and 2 separate fines isn't going to be enough of a punishment.

As for the question of whether or not taping a private walk through is against the rules, use some common sense. If it weren't against the rules, why would you need to sneak around and do it? Plus, it would seem counter productive for teams to hold practices that were ok for other teams to video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks