What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I've been looking forward to Colts v. Pats for a while. I sure hope it's not a 9-2 snoozer.

In a much less momentous game, I'm giving in and finally picking my Lions for the first time this year. If they can hold serve at home today vs. Denver, they will have a conceivable shot at the playoffs (say like J. Mora Sr.) A December trip to Lambeau might put their division title hopes on ice, so to speak. However, while the NFC East will certainly have more deserving WC candidates, those guys are going to kill each others' records. The West and South sure aren't looking too impressive so far.

On the other hand, history suggests that the Lions are due for a merciless humilation today, leaving them struggling to win 3 of the last 8.

Pardon my waffling. It's another symptom of my LFS (Lion Fan Syndrome)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Washington over NY Jets
Green Bay over Kansas City
Tampa Bay over Arizona
Tennessee over Carolina
Atlanta over San Francisco
New Orleans over Jacksonville
Detroit over Denver
Buffalo over Cincinnati
San Diego over Minnesota
Seattle over Cleveland
New England over Indianapolis
Raiders over Houston
Dallas over Philadelphia
Pittsburgh over Baltimore

Season breakdown:

Week 1...........7 – 9
Week 2...........9 – 7
Week 3..........10 – 6
Week 4...........7 – 7
Week 5..........12 - 2
Week 6...........8 – 5
Week 7...........9 – 5
Week 8……………8 - 5

Overall..........70 - 46

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not the offensive explosion the pundits always predict. Instead a defensive battle as these things usually are. Kind of a weak PI call on the second one, but no sympathy for the Pats.

Addai is a beast. Just a beast.

And I have Adrian P on my fantasy team. Not a bad week for him...a rookie breaking the single season rushing record, against a GOOD SD defense. Just sick.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

The Pats have been on the losing end of a few questionable calls but that's exactly what I have been thinking.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's poor tackling that is hurting the pats more then any calls. Though, putting hits on people when they are clearly out of bounds and giving them yards (twice) has been rather stupid, also.

Jeesus, Adrean Petereson.. for all the doubters: 296 yards. HELLO.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
AD = All Day (living up to his potential.

Anyone see that 109-yard return for a TD on a missed field goal attempt in the Viking game?

NE is finally heating up, but Manning has plenty of time for a game-winning TD drive...

...until NE forced a turnover and got the ball back and control their destiny for the final 2 minutes.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, three kneeldowns and it's over. The consolation for the Colts is how many injured players they are missing, and another chance in the playoffs.

I really wanted the Colts to win, but c'est la vie.

On a snide note, watching Brady complain about supposed PI on his receivers was classic. If only because it reminded me of Manning (with his far more legit complaints) three years ago.

Still, decent game.

EDIT: The other thing the game showed was the significantly superior line the Pats have. Manning had about 2 seconds before major pressure on Indy's last few drives, and Brady had about 4 on his. That's an eternity in the NFL.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think NE will run the table because I figure once NE clinches home field advantage throughout the playoffs, NE will play their backups in most of the games afterwards.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm done with the Bengals this season. Now I'm cheering for the teams up north, the Browns and the Lions.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
That has to be a first, that the Lions are actually getting a fan that has given up on his team, instead of the other way around. Glad to have you! Todays win over the Broncos showed me that the Lions can take advantage of situations where the other team is down and should be beaten easily. If anyone missed it, you must see Shaun Rogers get that interception and rumble 66 yards to the end zone including a stiff arm at the end.

Well the Pats went into the Colts home and got the win, so people can no longer say "but who have the Patriots played". This is where the season really gets interesting. Speaking of that, how big will the Thanksgiving day game be between the Lions and the Packers!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
That Shaun Rogers play was great.

Regarding the Pats, they've solidly beaten the good teams they have played...but the opponents in the South for Indy are the 5-3 Jags and the 6-2 Titans. Hardly the Jets, Bills, or Dolphins. But you only play who you play...only two teams kept it close with the Pats, both lost (and both were at home). The Pats are the best team in football.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
All those people threatening Jon Kitna with brickbats after he made that prediction about the Lions winning ten games this regular season are rapidly disappearing. ;)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
New England was outplayed for 3 quarters, but the game was close (within 10 points).

They outplayed the Colts in the 4th quarter and won.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There were an odd number of flags that all seemed to go to help the Colts. Not to mention that early Manning pass to the sideline in which the receiver very clearly landed out of bounds, yet two line judges, standing on either side of the play just a few feet away, unbelievably called it a completed pass.

Thanks to instant replay, it was correctly overturned.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I just wonder when the NFL is going to do something about the horrendous officiating that occurs week in and week out during every game. It's one thing if a guy is out of position and has to kind of guess at what happened. But when an official is exactly where he needs to be on the play, is 10 feet away with an unobstructed view and still gets an embarrassingly obvious call wrong...there's no way to slice it, these guys just can't officiate at this level. Isn't the NFL ashamed to have the highest profit of all major sports and have the worst officiating?

Bruce

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Pats' next game is at Buffalo. That game should be a cakewalk for them. I think Brady has his best numbers against the Bills.

Meanwhile, I switched over to the Sunday night game, and see the Eagles get spanked at home by the Cowboys. After losing to the Redskins and Giants earlier in the season, I don't know why many people thought the Eagles would win this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks