1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 12, 2007.

1. DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Jim C, I wasn't targeting you if that is how I came of. I was really referring about the media, ESPN & HBO specifically.

I mean since when has the shift of stopping a team from scoring turned to the scoring team. Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that is the opposing team's defense to stop the other's team's offense from scoring. If they don't wan't to get scored on, stop them. I can't believe there is even an argument about it. Instead the losing team complains rather than admit that they just gave up.

Eventually the Pats are going to loose and when they do, watch everyone pile on.

2. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

As a Redskins fan, every year I look forward to a new start thinking maybe this will be the season they return to the form of the glory days of Riggins. When they got Gibbs back I thought, alright here we go. They started this season looking good, but boy did they take a trouncing yesterday.

After the game my wife asked if I'm finally going to back a different team.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Really, outside of Indy this weekend, which I think will be a really good game, who is out there that the Pat's won't trounce? I wouldn't feel that bad about the hammering Washington took.. it's not like they are the only team to face a beat down by Brady & Co.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thomas
    It was against the Pats, though. The rest of the season doesn't look too challenging; the only remaining AFC opponents are the Jets and the Bills, and they are nowhere near the cream of the crop.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

They are definitely running it up - I could buy Belichick's half-reasoning for the cowboys eff-U TD, but this week there was no excuse....which I don't necessarily have a problem with, if they can't stop the 2nd string offense, etc. What I can't understand is why Belichick left his 1st string defenders (and in some cases offense) in until the end of the game - to me, that just reeks of bad coaching. Unlike in college where winning big is rewarded, in the NFL once you have a secure lead (and 38-0 late in the 3rd is secure, no matter what BB says) the focus should be on minimizing the possibility of injuries and getting experience to the second stringers so that if/when they have to step in they are better adjusted. I would think NE of all teams would realize this, after all the problems they had with injuries in recent history.

Same goes for running those sneaks with Brady's bum shoulder. Not smart.

6. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

No problem. I was just making sure.

I agree, the Pats aren't responsible for stopping themselves. I think that in some ways they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. That said, throwing on 4th down up by 38 is really rubbing it in their faces.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    The Steelers. They have a tough QB, tough WRs, a tough OL, and a quick RB. A strong, proud defense, and no love lost for the Pats. It's in December in NE, so their style might work in bad weather.

Besides the Steelers and the Colts, the Pats have an easy schedule this year - thanks to the AFC East being the least competitive any division has been in decades.

8. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Scott,

From a previous post of yours:

I know that I haven't been a Lions fan as long as you, but at some point you just have to enjoy what is happening. Live in the now a little bit. You said the Lions needed to win this weekend to "convince you" and quite frankly the game wasn't as close as the score indicated. You stated that bears moved the ball fairly well. Not exactly, they totaled 255 yards of offense, less than 200 yards passing, and 60+ rushing, not to mention their only score came off of Hester's only decent return of the game. They are winning with a balanced attack, and solid front four play. They are now 2-0 against the Bears, 3-0 in the division and if Green Bay loses tonight, they will be in first place. Sure it may not last, but are you telling me they can't win at home against the Broncos next week, or home against Green Bay? Things are on the way up for sure, maybe not this year, but soon. Come on Scott, just enjoy it a bit, we deserve it.

9. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Please don't get me wrong either Scott, I'm not trying to challenge you at all, I just think that the team can use all the positive thinking it can get. You know what, people may rip on Kitna, but this is why I love having this guy on the team I root for.

From MLive and Booth Newspapers:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...im_here_t.html

10. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

In some respects, this week's was the best game I've seen from the Lions in quite some time. It wasn't a rout, but they kept the turnovers down, played over their few mistakes and beat a very good defensive team on the road (in a venue where they've been thrashed in their last two visits) It was by far their least ugly win this fall.

I'll check out the Broncos tonight. I may have to pick my Leos to win for the first time this season. The Lions are kicking my butt this year, but I really don't mind.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Sorry, Brandon, but it's difficult to turn off the skepticism after so many years of mediocrity and disappointment. Remember, the last two times they started 5-2 they finished out of the playoffs (9-7 in 2000) and 8-8 (1999).

I do agree that they played a good game on the road against the Bears. I do hope they've turned the corner, and like what the coaching staff is trying to do. They have some talent on offense at the skills positions, and the return of Kevin Jones has helped the running game a lot (if he can only stay healthy).

I still look at that offensive line and the defensive units, though, and wonder if/when it will all fall apart.

Yes, I am an old, jaded Lions fan. [​IMG]

12. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

The offensive line definitely needs to give Kitna some better protection back there, but they did a nice job of opening up holes for KJ this week. What a difference between Bell and KJ. Aside from the two blow outs, the secondary has played respectable, but that linebacking corps, Sims excluding, needs some serious upgrade. How good would David Harris have looked in a Lions uniform as opposed to Stanton?

13. Scott Merryfield

At the time of the draft, I thought the Lions should have taken Paul Posluszny, but they traded down and Buffalo took him with Detroit's pick. Then, later in the round I thought they should have made a move for David Harris, so I'm with you 100% on that one.

As bad as the NFC is this year, Detroit could certainly make the playoffs. Heck, they could even do the unthinkable and win a playoff game for the 2nd time in my lifetime. [​IMG] Other than Dallas, there is not a team in the conference that impresses me.

14. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Romo agrees to a 6 yr 67.5 million dollar contract with 30 million guaranteed.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The legend of Brett Favre grows... WOW what an ending.

16. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Indeed Shane. Incredible....

I also watched the bio on the Packer's Donald Driver that got me a little emotional. It was outstanding....

17. Scott Merryfield

The Packers placed running back DeShawn Wynn on the IR. Green Bay's running game was anemic before, and this will not help any.

And in other news, the Raiders have released Mike Williams. That's two recent high first round draft picks of Matt Millen that are no longer even in the league... and a third (Joey Harrington) is on life support in Atlanta.

18. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Ok Scott, this week, the Lions have a chance to match your prediction of six wins...except if they do it, it will be in 8 games. I'm still not saying playoffs or anything, but how great is it to be talking meaningful football this time of year, and not be talking about other teams.

Overall this is a great football weekend, and I am really looking forward to see how the big game of the weekend shakes out in Indy. Should be a good one that is for sure.

19. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

tyler payne
    WEEK 9 PICKS

Tampa Bay over Arizona
    Detroit over Denver
    Tennessee over Carolina
    Green Bay over Kansas City
    San Diego over Minnesota
    New Orleans over Jacksonville
    San Francisco over Atlanta
    Washington over Jets
    Cincinnati over Buffalo
    Seattle over Cleveland
    Indianapolis over New England
    Houston over Oakland
    Philadelphia over Dallas
    Baltimore over Pittsburgh

Last Week 11-2
    Overall 67- 49

20. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

That's what we thought about the Boys/Pats matchup... Definitely cool to have 2 unbeaten teams face off this late in the season, I believe it's an NFL "record".