1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  2. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Malcolm, the Colts and the Jags was supposed to be a premiere matchup considering the Colts have always struggle against the Jags.

The Cowboys-Bills game had one of the wildest finishes I can remember in an NFL game.

You must be tough to please.

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    And the Jags have a very solid defense. It was supposed to be a great game.

I think people have to realize that the Colts aren't very far below the Pats, if they are below them at all. It's almost amusing how the teams now resemble each other from 2-3 years ago.

That said, the NFL is already overhyping the Pats-Colts game. It's regular season.

Anyone else remember the 10-1 Giants vs. the 10-1 49ers (coming off their monster 89 season) on Monday night in 1990. I do. 7-3. That game sucked, and the OTHER team won the playoff game anyway.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

NFL revises draft. They are reducing the time for 1st round picks from 15 to 10 minutes, and the 2nd round from 10 to 7 minutes. The draft will start at 3pm instead of noon, and only the first two rounds will be on Saturday.

I like the reduction in time. The first round seemed to take forever. It will reduce the time for teams to make trades, but 10 minutes should be enough. Teams will adjust.

I do wonder about how the Vikings feel about this change, though. [​IMG]

5. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

I remember those teams lost the week before, with the Giants getting destroyed by the Eagles. I missed that game, because I was on a family vacation.

I watched the Eagles game against the Bears until I couldn't watch anymore, and ended up watching a reality show on DVD. Kind of sad that I would rather watch a reality show over a NFL game.

6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Walter, correct. Both were 10-0 eight days before the big game, and the NFL was salivating.

The Rams beat the 49ers and the Eagles crushed the Giants, dropping them to 10-1 for the game.

Worst Monday night game I ever saw.

A week later, the Lions played the Raiders, and Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders put on a clinic of excitement. I *still* remember that game!

7. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Chuck,
    I also remember that playoff game that you referenced to, the NFC Championship, when Joe Montana got hurt real badly, and I don't think he was the same great player after that.

I remember the 1990 season all too well.

8. Scott Merryfield

The only reason I remember that Giants - 49ers Monday Night game in 1990 was because I was in San Francisco on business that day. A co-worker and I watched the game in a local pub. We enjoyed the atmosphere more than the game.

9. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Yeah, I remember that game. Everyone was disappointed about the two teams losing the week before, but it didn't stop the hype machine. Everyone kept waiting for something, anything, to happen. They kept showing Jerry Rice. "He's a ticking time bomb folks! Just wait! He'll do something!"

One of the worst games I remember watching.

10. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

tyler payne
    WEEK 8 PICKS

Indianapolis over Carolina
    Cincinnati over Pittsburgh
    Detroit over Chicago
    Tennessee over Oakland
    Cleveland over St. Louis
    Philadelphia over Minnesota
    New York Giants over Miami
    Buffalo over New York Jets
    San Diego over Houston
    Tampa Bay over Jacksonville
    New England over Washington
    New Orleans over San Francisco
    Green Bay over Denver

Last Week 9-5
    Overall 56-47

11. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Cleveland over St. Louis
    Chicago over Detroit
    Indianapolis over Carolina
    NY Giants over Miami
    Tennessee over Oakland
    Philadelphia over Minnesota
    Pittsburgh over Cincinnati
    NY Jets over Buffalo
    San Diego over Houston
    Tampa over Jacksonville
    San Francisco over New Orleans
    New England over Washington
    Denver over Green Bay

Season breakdown:

Week 1...........7 – 9
    Week 2...........9 – 7
    Week 3..........10 – 6
    Week 4...........7 – 7
    Week 5..........12 - 2
    Week 6...........8 – 5
    Week 7...........9 – 5

Overall..........62 - 41

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Had to laugh when one of the Sports Reporters suggested that the Giants and Dolphins play for their passports in the game in London (losing team gets stuck in London).

13. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Lions are now 5-2 after going into Chicago and winning. The Lions D leads the league in turnovers and points scored off of those turnovers. The Lions aren't a great team, but at 5-2 they are certainly a decent team and should have the respect of more people than in the past. Give them some more talent and they could actually be a playoff team.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Well, the Dolphins are now winless on two different continents. [​IMG]

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The Pats are rolling it up again today against the Redskins. I gotta think the Pats 1st string offense is finally done for today. Brady gets 3 passing TDs and 2 rushing (lifetime total was 3 coming into this game).

16. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

The Pats are unreal at the moment. IMO, they're running up the score, and it's related to the reaction to spy-gate. I think the team is pissed at the suggestion their sucess and championships are tainted and they're taking it out on their opponents each and every week.

That said, it's not like we should expect them to fall on the ground on their own. If teams can't stop them then what do we expect to happen?

BTW, when will teams learn to cover Vrabel in the endzone?

Can't wait for Colts-Pats.

17. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Looks like all those people who scoffed at John Kitna saying the Lions could win ten games this regular season are going to be eating their words pretty soon. [​IMG]

As for the Patriots--I am STUNNED that the Redskins got flattened so easily today. [​IMG] The Colts have a huge task ahead trying to figure out how to beat the Patriots.

18. DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro Stunt Coordinator

Running up the score??? I've been hearing that constantly and its becoming annoying. I remember the first week all this happened and everyone outside of New England questioning their hard work and integrity, wanting them to relinquish their trophys, ban the team & belichick from the NFL, pay multiple fines, etc, etc... Talk about blowing things out of proportion over such an insignificant thing. How do people expect them to react? Although they will never say it, they are taking their frustrations out on other teams and good for them!!! No matter what they do they will always be criticized. I can only imagine what will be said about them if they loose. Right now the Colts are just as good as the Pats and it can go either way. Can't wait!!

19. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I imagine your post is related to mine about running up the score. FYI, you won't find a bigger Pats fan than me. Look back in this thread or do a search for previous seasons threads. As I type I'm looking around at Pats Super Bowl gear all around me. Point is, even a diehard Pats fan like me has to admit that they're running up the score. When they're leading by 38 points in the fourth quarter and decide to go for it on fourth down instead of just kicking an easy field goal, well, what do you call that if it's not running up the score? Bill Simmons is right, the Patriots are making a habit of the Eff you touchdown.

I'm just going by what my eyes are telling me. As BB would say, 'it is what it is'.

20. Scott Merryfield

Of course, if the Pats kick the field goal, they would still be criticized for piling it on. The "usual" decision when having a big lead on fourth down is to bypass the FG and call a simple running play. The defense has a decent chance of stopping the play, and then no additional points are scored.

I'm still tempering my hopes for the Lions -- there have been too many disappointments over too many seasons to get overly excited right now. However, they did win a tough road game against a desperate opponent. That is an encouraging sign. The Bears were able to move the ball pretty well, but Griese's interceptions killed the team. It's nice to still have playoff hopes going into November -- it's been quite a few years since that has happened.