1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Brandon, feel free to be done with "this crap." I thought we were just having a discussion. Frankly, no one asked you to jump into "this crap" to begin with. But you jump out and allow Bob Costas, Chris Collinsworth, Cris Carter, Dan Marino, a few of the others in here who don't mind a difference of opinion and me to continue discussing "this crap."

2. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I've been staying out of this discussion because as a Pats fan it's difficult to be objective on some things. However, I have to say that you seem pretty angry about this. Is it really that big a deal to you personally? Maybe Belichick ran up the score, maybe he didn't. No one can know for sure except for him and I'm sure he isn't talking. FWIW, Phillips spygate 'black mark' comment the week of the game couldn't have helped Belichick's attitude. Then again, if you can't stop a 5th string back when you know it's a run then it's hardly fair to blame the scoring team.

BTW, you cannot take anything Chris Collinsworth or Dan Marino says about the Patriots seriously. They are both 'Patriots Haters'. As for the others, I don't know.

If you want to see a score run up, tune into the second Pats/Jets game at the end of the season. If all the long-running bad blood wasn't enough, the Jets role in spy-gate sealed the deal. If the Patriots can score 100 points in that game I'm sure they will.

3. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I'm very interested in the Lions vs Bucaneers matchup this weekend. Former Lion Jeff Garcia who hasn't thrown a pic all year will be going against a secondary that has the third most interceptions on the league. Kevin Jones gets his first start of the season, so hopefully they will be able to run the ball a little bit better. The NFC North is still very much a crap shoot and if the Lions can put together a couple of wins here, they will be in decent shape.

Casey, what is the feeling there with the QB situation? Is Culpepper the man when McCown comes back healthy?

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Ditto and I don't hate the Pats. I have a lot of respect for them(though that has dwindled a bit with spy gate).

5. Mike Williams

Jim, actually no, I'm not particulary angry about it. Mostly it's just discussion until the next game is played. But when someone jumps into a conversation to say they're done with "this crap," as though anything I would have to say is crap, then that is just stupid to me. If you want to be done with "this crap," then stay out of that particular discussion altogether. There is no reason to be immature here. I haven't taken potshots at anyone. I haven't belittled anyone of their opinions, so there is no reason to do the same to me. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Oh, and I am a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan, and I personally dislike Belichik very much, though I do acknowledge he's an excellent football coach.

6. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I have been in the NFL discussion for six + years on the forum here and have disagreed with many notions and arguments and have never ever had one person say I was disagreeable. Sorry if you feel that way. I just think that the whole thing is a little overblown and quite frankly not that important to be wasting so much time on. I realize it gives people something to talk about, but imho there are many more interesting stories this week, such as did the Saints and Chargers finally right the ship, has LJ come around a bit, how lucky are the Packers, and most importantly, has Jeff Garcia and David Garrard really combined for zero, yes zero interceptions this season so far? Anyhow, sorry if you took offense to anything, if you did, maybe you just read a little to much into what I was saying.

I must voice my displeasure with how the Lions are handling yet another first round pick. I don't care how complicated the offense is, you must use this can't miss talent in Calvin Johnson. If nothing else he just opens up the the field for the rest of the receivers. I hope they figure it out before its too late.

7. Mike Williams

Brandon, there may be more interesting things for YOU to talk about, so talk about THOSE things, but there is no reason for you to belittle someone else's conversations. If you don't want to talk about the Patriots-Cowboys game anymore, then don't. But just because you don't want to talk about it doesn't mean that no one else is allowed to.

However, in the spirit of other, more important things to talk about. How about the fact that Adrian Peterson (the Vikings one, not the Bears) is leading all rushers in the NFL so far, and he is not only a rookie, but also only a part-time back. His rushing yards against the Bears last week was a franchise record, the most yards ever rushed against the Bears in a single game and his 361 all-purpose yards is the 3rd highest total in a single game in NFL history. Who is this Reggie Bush guy again?

8. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Well, I apologized and obviously its not good enough, I tried to just end it in my last post. It was interesting for the first little bit to me, but when people just go round and round saying the same things, it ceases becoming a discussion and just becomes chatter, imho of course. Nobody was changing anyone else's opinions, that is why in post #370 I cordially stated that we would have to agree to just disagree. Anyhow, if you can't let it go, just put me on your ignore list because I don't want to argue with anyone.

9. Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase Stunt Coordinator

OK fellow 'Boys fans, could you please answer this simple question for me?

What the hell has happened to Roy Williams?

He used to play as a headhunter. Now, his game is softer than a Krispy Kreme donut.

I have a theory (think Mike Tyson)...

10. Mike Williams

Brandon, if you really consider that an apology when you end your apology by one more little jab, then maybe putting you on ignore is exactly what's required here. Please do the same for me. I don't want you even responding to anything I have to say. You can't do it with maturity, so please just don't do it all.

11. Mike Williams

Bob, I can't answer that one for you, since I've been asking that question many, many times myself -- over the past few years, I might add.

12. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Statistically speaking, Roy's rookie year was his best year and he just hasn't been the same since that time. I thought he was going to be a stud for years to come, but when it comes to defending a pass he is average at best. He is still a very good run stopper, but that is about it.

There seems to be a lull in safety performance right now, unlike 5 years ago when there were a ton of great safeties. Of course Washington seems to be ok in that department.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Peterson is going to be a beast in the league for many years if he can stay healthy. He has all the skills you look for in a running back, and a solid offensive line to run behind. As a Detroit fan, I do not look forward to many years of watching him run through the Lions defense.

As for Roy Williams, I too am surprising by his fall-off. The guy looked like he would be a Prob Bowl safety for many years in the league, but his level of play has slipped quite a bit. I'm not sure if injuries have slowed him down. Our resident Cowboys fans could answer that better than me.

14. Mike Williams

Roy Williams is also still pretty good at making interceptions, but not a good pass defender at all. As both a Cowboys fan and a Sooners fan, this is especially troubling.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Darren Woodson. I don't think anything has changed since he left Oklahoma. His rookie year he had Darren Woodson.

16. Mike Williams

Shane, that's an interesting point. Hmmmmm. I'm going to see Darren Woodson on November 29th. Can't wait.

17. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

18. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

tyler payne
    WEEK 7 PICKS

Houston over Tennessee
    Detroit over Tampa Bay
    New England over Miami
    New Orleans over Atlanta
    Giants over San Francisco
    Baltimore over Buffalo
    Washington over Arizona
    Oakland over Kansas City
    Cincinnati over Jets
    Philadelphia over Chicago
    Seattle over St. Louis
    Dallas over Minnesota
    Pittsburgh over Denver
    Indianapolis over Jacksonville

Last Week 9-13
    Overall 47-42

19. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    1) I love Darren Woodson. One of my favorite Cowboys ever.

2) In game one this year, Williams actually pulled up and backed off when faced head up with Shockey. Shockey then drilled him. Can't blame that Woodson. I don't expect the guy to be a coverage stud...but he's not even making the huge hits he once did.

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Tenn over Houston
    Tampa Bay over Detroit
    New England over Miami
    New Orleans over Atlanta
    Giants over San Francisco
    Baltimore over Buffalo
    Washington over Arizona
    Kansas City over Oakland
    Cincinnati over Jets
    Philadelphia over Chicago