What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
If you are talking about dynasties, you should mention 3 more(at least):
The '46-'55 Browns (10, yes 10, straight championship game appearances, including winning the NFL title 3 out of their first 5 years in the league) , the '29-'32 Packers, (3 straight NFL titles, and screwed out of a fourth, because the NFL believed that 6-1-6, and 6-1-4, were both better records than 10-3-1), and the '60-'67 Packers (5 out of 6 NFL championship game wins, in 8 years.) I think all 3 of these teams out-shine any of the more recent teams already mentioned in this thread.

But, who knows, I might be a little biased.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Even though I think Norv Turner is a dreadful coach, and that Lane Kiffin is doing good things, I'm still taking the Chargers to win this week.

The fact is that LT has always, always scorched the Raiders and they'll be without 2 front-line defenders in Burgess and Gerrard Warren. I hope I am wrong but expect to be right.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Cincinnati over Kansas City
Jacksonville over Houston
Cleveland over Miami
Chicago over Minnesota
Philadelphia over NY Jets
Baltimore over St. Louis
Tennessee over Tampa Bay
Green Bay over Washington
Arizona over Carolina
New England over Dallas
San Diego over Oakland
Seattle over New Orleans
NY Giants over Atlanta

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

No kidding. Although they did beat the Bengals twice, I would put the 49ers dynasty up there with the Cowboys in the 90's, Steelers in the 70's, Patriots now and the Packers in the 60's who won in 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966 and 1967.

The Lions are guaranteed not to lose today. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I thought about those great Niners teams, but chose to mention the '70's Steelers only. Those San Fran teams were something, though. Between Montana and Rice, they had two of the best players of all time.

There is quite a QB battle going on in the Carolina - Arizona game. Forty-three year old Vinnie Testeverde is facing Tim Rattay. It brings up memories of Montana vs. Marino. :laugh:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Dallas kicking that FG down by 14 with 10 minutes left is an extremely chickenshit call. That's managing the deficit of the defeat, not trying to win.

Too many penalties for Dallas to keep up. Nice to see us make a game of it for a while.

Barring a major injury, Brady breaks Manning's season TD record. By week 14.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I think the game was a lot closer than the final score. That holding call on the 4th down killed Dallas. If that didn't happen it could have dramatically changed the game. Hats off to the Cowboys for showing they're for real, at least in my eyes.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Cowboys may be for real, but they are not on the same level as New England, currently. Nobody is, not even the defending champs. I think I may be developing a man crush on Brady now, its ridiculous watching him play. You just watch and think you are looking at the closest thing to QB perfection that we will get for a long time.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I agree with you that they aren't on the same level as the Patriots, or the Colts. Given how lop-sided the conferences have been in recent years I was wondering if the Cowboys were another example of a great NFC team versus a great league team. I think they may be the latter but definitely below the Pats and Colts. I'd list Pats and Colts 1A and 1B and the Steelers and Cowboys 2A and 2B.

I can't wait for the Indy/NE showdown. As much as I hated to see them beat the Patriots last year I have tremendous respect for the Colts. Should be awesome to watch.

As for Brady, he's looking unbelievable right now. After watching him for all these years with good, but not great receivers I can't help but think of what his stats would be like if had Moss, Stallworth and Welker the whole time.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's not just Brady...he has the best line in football, and has had it for the past few years. Those guys get no respect. Brady has all day back there. So before we put him on a pedestal (he's one of the two best QB's in football now, and probably 10 best all time...I'm not knocking Brady at all), just remember hohw much time he has EVERY play :)

I appreciate Jim's sentiments...and I sort of agree. The Cowboys proved they are a up and coming team. But they still aren't in the top echelon (which really is NE and Indy only). Maybe the one beneath it, and they have room to improve (Newman can get healthy, and Henry can play). I still hate that weak ass FG. Wade needs to man up.

In FF, I traded LJ for Adrian Peterson. I'm happy about that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Pats are a very impressive team. Barring significant injuries, I just do not see anyone else winning the Super Bowl this season -- even the Colts. The Cowboys have come a long way, but they still have a way to go to get to NE and Indy's level. Dallas is the best of the NFC by a long shot, though.

Brady is on an incredible TD pace. I think it's a combination of factors -- the much improved receiving group, the lack of a primary running back, great protection, and Brady himself. Dallas put more pressure on him than any other team so far, and he still threw 5 TD passes.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Chuck, I agree that the game was closer than the final score. It's difficult enough to have THAT many penalties and mistakes and still win against a bad team, but you certainly can't even think about it against the best team in the league. Also, the final score seemed really ugly if you didn't watch the game and just saw the score later, but we know the final Patriot touchdown with 12 seconds left in the game was just Billicheck arrogance and was both meaningless and unnecessary.

I don't see another game on Dallas' schedule that they SHOULD lose, although there are several that they could. They still have all but one of their division games to play and Green Bay. They SHOULD win them all. I think they will be just fine.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
November 29th - December 2nd, there is going to be a sports show in Dallas, with a bunch of Dallas players from the 70s Superbowl era (including several hall of famers), a bunch of current players, including Julius Jones, Patrick Crayton, Jason Witten, and Terrell Owens, and from the '90s Superbowl era:

Troy Aikman
Emmitt Smith
Jay Novacek
Alvin Harper
Darren Woodson
Larry Brown
Charles Haley

I am going to that and cannot wait. I'm going to get an authentic Dallas Cowboys helmet and have all the '90s era Cowboys sign that, and then get two Cowboys footballs and have the '70s guys and current players sign those.

Additionally, there will be a number of 49ers including Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Charles Haley (was a 49er before he was a Cowboy) and Terrell Owens (same deal).

If anyone is interested, check out triumphsports.com

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One thing I do question regarding Dallas is why Marion Barber does not play more. The guy is a tougher runner than Julius Jones, and is a lot harder to tackle. That run where he escaped from the end zone was fantastic.

I don't have a problem with New England's late TD, either. They handed it off to their 4th string RB. Did anyone expect the guy to just fall down? He's trying to make an impression on the coaches.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Scott, Kyle Eckel was the fullback in a triple option for my alma mater (where Belichick's father coached for many, many years). He's lucky to even be in the NFL, so I did not begrudge him the touchdown at all either.

Mike, Dallas KNEW they were going to run four straight times...feel free to line up and stop them. It made the final score uglier than the game, but after that FG I had no sympathy. Besides, it was nice to see Eckel in a pro game making a play.

And Jones had some great runs as well. I don't know why they don't line up with BOTH of them sometimes. In truth, Jones will probably be gone next year (free agent). I love Barber, but Jones plays well enough to not sit on the bench either. I also appreciated Barber's jack to Harrison. Never been a fan of Harrison, so seeing him taking a stiff arm was nice. I agree that Barber is special. That endzone escape was a thing of beauty.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Personally I hope they let Jones go. He's stiff and not elusive at all. I hope they just let him go and pick up McFadden if possible but even if, I'd be just happy to keep Barber back there. He has a certain energy that the other backs don't give them.

I'm not totally convinced the Pats are the best team(like TO said) because until someone beats the Colts, they still are the defending champs. You are the best until you are knocked off the throne. I did pick the Pats to win it all but the Colts are rightfully so undefeated and still the champs.

Users who are viewing this thread