1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I can't believe the Chargers are getting destroyed by the Chiefs, at home! Makes me wonder how Norv Turner lasted so long with the Redskins.

The Browns are looking good since the opening-week embarrassment.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'd say Tony Romo is over the fumbled hold in the playoffs. The run he made today was something else. Dallas is 4-0 and looks very much in control. Most of the praise should be for Jason Garrett but Wade's enthusiasm is quite nice to see. It's rare you see a coach high fiving players and acting like a kid.

Next week at Buffalo should be a nice test but the New England game will be a true clash of the titans.

In other news, Greise wasn't an upgrade in Chicago. I'd be dangling Lance Briggs out there for a QB if they can get one.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It's too late to make such a trade this season. The Bears will be looking for a new QB in the offseason. Culpepper and McNabb would be prime candidates.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Some of the divisions are just crazy. Outside of New England, everyone in the east is pretty bad. Everyone in the AFC South is good or better.

The AFC West, who would've guessed San Diego would be in last place after 4 weeks? Sure, they're only a game back but still it is a surprise.

Norv works his magic.

5. Scott Merryfield

The AFC West has been surprisingly weak. Both Denver and San Diego have been disappointments so far.

So far, the only disappointment in Dallas has been that Cleveland has won a couple of games, making that draft pick next year worth less. It's only been four weeks, but the Cowboys look to be the best in the NFC by a long shot.

The Packers have been surprising, but I have a hard time believing in a team that cannot run the ball. Green Bay does have a good defense, though, which gives them an advantage in the division over Detroit. I still think the Lions will struggle to finish at .500. Their offensive line is still not very good, and Kitna is taking a pounding. The odds of him staying healthy all season are not good, and the team is toast without him.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Scott,
    If he can stay healthy, then Kitna's prediction of of wins is starting to look....well realistic. [​IMG]

How about that Philly offensive line last night? They gave up 12 sacks, 6 of which to Osi. 12 sacks is a seasons worth, but not last night.

7. Casey Trowbridg

They haven't been disappointing me that's for sure.

Dallas isn't getting the top pick in the draft with teams like Miami still in the league. Listening to the Raiders game yesterday, you sometimes forget how old most of the guys on the Dolphins' front seven actually are. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas have been around forever.

St. Louis is the most surprising bad team to me.

Green Bay is the most surprising good team.

8. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Scott, at some time, even fans of the Lions as skeptical as we are have to look at this team and say there is something different about it. To say they will "struggle" to get to .500 I think is looking at the glass about 1/4 full. The staff has instilled the will to win, they bench players for poor performance, aka George Foster yesterday and that offense will keep them in 90% of the games. Look at the schedule, they have 12 more, they need to win only 5 to make it to .500. They play the Bears again, the Vikings again, Green Bay twice, a bad San Diego team, Washington that has shown to be average at best, Denver and KC, Arizona and Dallas. Yes there will be some tough times, but I really think they can pull 5 victories out of that.

9. Scott Merryfield

Sorry, Brandon, but I'm still on the skeptical side. Just three years ago in 2004, they started 4-2 and finished 6-10. Four games into the season is too early to blindly forget the long, ugly past. Their three wins have come against Oakland (the only team that was worse than them last season), Minnesota (with probably the league's worst offense), and Chicago (half of whose defense was injured, and they have no QB). And they were embarrassed by a Philly team that hasn't looked good in any other game.

If they can go into Washington next week and win in a place where they are 0-19 all-time, I may start to change my viewpoint. Right now, though, I still see a team with a bad offensive line that cannot run the ball, no secondary, only one NFL caliber linebacker, and no legitimate backup QB behind Kitna, who is taking a beating each week. The coaching staff is doing a fine job with what they have, but there is still not enough talent here -- thanks to Matt Millen's incompetence.

You can call me jaded, but I've been watching this team since 1970, so I have 37 years worth of reasons to be so.

10. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Gee, Griese, thx for the two red-zone interceptions.

Looks like the Bears problems are more systemic than mere QB woes. The O-line needs to remember how to block, the RBs need to remember how to run, and the WRs need to hang onto the freakin' ball. This is gonna be a Maalox season for sure.

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Scott and Brandon, I think you are both making valid points about the Lions, but I am leaning a bit toward the Scott end of the continuum. Things have been pretty good so far. I am just not going to get too excited until I see more. There is a long way to go and the Lions have been disappointing for a long time. Still, Kitna's pre-season prediction doesn't seem quite as crazy as it once did. Also, Scott's Millen comments are right on the nose.

12. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I hate Millen as much as the next guy to be sure. I just really like what Marinelli is doing and quite frankly, I love what Kitna can do. Did I just say that? At the very least, it should be fun watching them try to get to .500!

13. Casey Trowbridg

I'm sorry but I think I've got to side with Scott on this one as well. He makes a pretty good case even without the 37 years worth of experienced pain and suffering.

I know Detroit can't run the ball, that was proven to me week 1. Also in week 1, Detroit had a comfortable lead and then saw it all vanish, the final score was misleading because Oakland was winning that game late and sorry but the Raiders lost that game more than Detroit won it.

The Eagles put up 56 points on Detroit in week 3.

Dallas, Tampa Bay Arizona (that's a road game and the Cardinals do have a good offense) and Green Bay will make it tough. The Lions benefit from the fact that they have both the Broncos and Chiefs at home, going to either of those cities especially late would've just been bad. They also benefit from the fact that Norv Turner coaches San Diego and thus anything can happen. However, that trip to San Diego feels like a big LT game to me.

I've got them in the 6-10 to 7-9 range and that's assuming people stay healthy.

14. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

So they will only win 3 games in the next 12? I don't buy that at all. This isn't a Mooch coached team and things are different. I guess I will just have to wait until the end of the season and see how things are. Even if they pull to 8-8 or 9-7 it may not be good enough for some people. I respect both of your opinions, but at this point strongly disagree.

Also, they may not be running the ball yet, but Kevin Jones is making his way back and they are number one in passing. Now, if they were 1-3 and number one in passing that would be a bigger problem, but being 3-1 changes things. Besides, there is one team that is worse at rushing the ball that Detroit....just the 4-0 Green Bay Packers.

15. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Oh, I don't think the Patriots will lose a game unless Tom Brady decides to let them lose, only to entertain himself because he is tired of winning so much.

16. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Amazingly enough, the strength of the Cardinals this year has been the defense. They've yet to allow a hundred yard rusher (playing guys like Frank Gore, Shaun Alexander, and Willis McGahee), and just held the league leader (Willie Parker) to 37 yards on 18 carries. The corners are a little suspect, but all in all they've played really well.

The supposed strength of the team is without its best player in Boldin, and now has a quaterback rotation. So far its working, but I'm not sure it can last all season, no matter how unselfish Warner and Leinart are. Still, Cards fans are pretty happy to be 2-2 at this point, having handed the Seahawks and Steelers their only losses.

17. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Leinart is very far from "unselfish".

As for the Lions, I like what they are doing so far, but given their line, and Kitnas' history, I think their backup QB is their biggest problem.

18. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Hopefully you're not using Michael Silver's latest hatchet job of an article as the basis for this comment. Silver was on Phoenix radio this morning, back-pedalling faster than Deion Sanders.

Like I said, I'm not sure how long it can work, but so far both QB's are doing and saying the right things. And really, they're both running two very different offenses.

19. Scott Merryfield

Actually, they could win four remaining games and still finish below .500. [​IMG] So, that would mean eight more losses. That could be as simple as losing their six remaining road games (and only at Minnesota looks winnable), plus two home games against either Dallas, Denver, NY Giants, KC, Tampa or Green Bay.

I have no problem with your dissenting opinion, Brandon. I've probably become too jaded after all these years of being disappointed by this team. If Kitna goes down, though, they will be lucky to win any games that he misses.

And I think that, considering how bad this team has been for the past decade, an 8-8 record would be quite an accomplishment and I would be satisfied. Anyone who looked at this roster before the season and expected nine or ten wins was deluding himself.

As for the Packers, while I agree that they cannot run the ball either, they do have a much better defense that Detroit's. That gives them the edge in the division, IMO.

20. Casey Trowbridg

Teams in need of running backs may due themselves well to give the Raiders a call.

Rhodes comes off suspension today. Lamont Jordan is second in the league in rushing, although he does have nagging back problems. Justin Fargas had 179 yards rushing in a little over a half game work last week. Michael Bush is on PUP right now but it sounds as though he's progressing enough to avoid injured reserve. Then there's a hidden jem who made the roster based on a second straight solid preseason in Adimchinobe Echemandu.

Even if you factor out Echemandu and Bush as being great unknowns, Fargas Rhodes and Jordan is a pretty big group to find balls for.