What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I love ESPN HD but anyone else think these MNF announcers LOVE to hear themselves talk? They talk WAAAAAAAY too much. I've been muting most of the 2nd quarter. For the love of God, someone tell Mike Tirico it's okay if we have a few moments of the moment.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I like Tirico and Jaworski, but cannot stand Kornheiser. I wish they would have dumped him when then got rid of Theisman after last season.

It appears the Saints will be a one season wonder. This team has looked very bad so far. Reports are that McAllister is out for the season with a torn ACL. Duece hasn't done anything on the field so far this season, but I have my doubts that Reggie Bush can be an every down running back.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris

I also can't stand Kornheiser and used to actually like PTI. I'm not a fan of Tirico or Jaworski either but after Theisman, Mike Patrick and Paul "Captain Obvious" Maguire anything is an improvement. I used to have to mute the SNF game otherwise I'd wind up screaming at the TV. Anyone remember the SNF drinking game?

Scott, I also have doubts about Bush being an every down back. He is much more effective as part of the passing game.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Vince Young, however, is the real deal. He will never have incredible stats, though I expect them to improve.. but he absolutely makes his team buy in, and if you give the guy a chance, he will beat you.

Outside of that, I have to give him incredible thumbs up :emoji_thumbsup: for his charity work in Tennessee, especially contributions to charities I really care about, so it's good to see him get off on the right foot.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

Thank God.

I was sure the Bears were going to give Rex an enormous contract with gobs of guaranteed money, despite all evidence pointing to the conclusion that he flat out sucks.

If only the Bears could get back some of that $16 million in guaranteed money they gave to Cedric Benson, who is shaping up to be a complete bustout.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

As much as I hate to say it, the Bears got their ass kicked by the Cowboys, both literally and figuratively. Here's the thing about the injuries. I didn't hear of any Cowboys getting hurt. I think some of the Bears' injuries were basically from getting pounded all night. Charles Tillman said it was one of the most physical beatings he's ever had. Devin Hester was drilled several times. Adam Archeleta basically had his chest caved in on one play and possibly suffered a concussion (which may explain why he seemed a step slow the rest of the night). And those guys weren't even the ones seriously hurt, like Briggs, Vasher, and Harris.

The pessimist in me says that this season is 6-10 at best. Last year the defense and special teams carried us, and the league's easiest schedule allowed Grossman to put up some decent numbers against horrendous teams. If I recall, the Bears only beat one or two teams with a winning record last year.

And to top it off, the hated Packers probably can't wait to play us...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Plausible. There were no injuries on the Cowboys(that weren't there previous to the game).

The Cowboys defensive and special teams gameplan worked well. I'm scared to think what kind of contract Romo will get. Shaub's contract will be smaller for sure and that was a 7 yr 48 million dollar contract if memory serves.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Archuleta broke his hand on that vicious block he received. He will be playing, albeit with a cast on his hand.

Tillman sprained his ankle. Early reports are saying he'll be out for 2 weeks.

Briggs has a groin pull. He said he'll be playing.

Vasher, according to early reports, actually tore his groin. They're calling for a 2-4 week recovery time for him.

Tommie Harris sprained an MCL.

All this on top of Mike Brown being lost for the season is really crippling to the defense.

Now, as to the offense, I have to say it's time for Griese. Grossman seemed to be so intent on proving that he could check-down that he tried forcing his checkdown throws. He just looks completely lost in his decisions. I think Benson is doing okay. There aren't many holes being opened up for him, and even when there are, he still wants to bulldoze people instead of taking those holes. I also think his fumble against Dallas was very questionable.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What is with Denver? They could have easily lost 2 games at home already. IMHO, Denver has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, home field advantages. They've got great, noisy fans and they've got that altitude. Denver players live in it and get used to it, while visiting teams are dragging their tongues on the turf in the 4th quarter.

It would be interesting to chart Denver's home field record over the years, I'll bet it is one of the best. Anyway, they've lost once and only a well timed time-out prevented another loss at home after just three games.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Hmmm, Bengals vs Pigeons

I hear Vegas has the Pigeons as a 6 and 1/2 point favorite.

Week 4

Green Bay over Minnesota
Houston over Atlanta
Jets over Buffalo
Baltimore over Cleveland
Dallas over St. Louis
Chicago over Detroit
Oakland over Miami
Seattle over San Francisco
Carolina over Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh over Arizona
San Diego over Kansas City
Indianapolis over Denver
Philly over Giants
Cincy over New England (upset special of the week, or a blind homer pick?)

Last Week 8-8
Overall 23-25

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Raiders over Miami
Houston over Atlanta
Baltimore over Cleveland
Chicago over Detroit
Green Bay over Minnesota
Dallas over St. Louis
Buffalo over NY Jets
Carolina over Tampa
Seattle over San Francisco
Pittsburgh over Arizona
San Diego over Kansas City
Indianapolis over Denver
Philadelphia over NY Giants
New England over Cincinnati

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Daunte Culpepper tossed 2 touchdown passes to Jerry Porter and ran for 3 more. I'd say that's a pretty emphatic "You shouldn't have gotten rid of me" to Miami.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
WOW.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, the Bears led the Lions, 13-3.

Then the Lions win, 37-27?!?!?!?!

Lovie Smith: "They are who we THOUGHT they were! We let 'em off the hook!"

:P

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It was a pretty bizarre 4th quarter. One TD on an interception return, two on kickoff returns (one by each team), and some strange instant replay reviews.

The NFC North standings look pretty bizarre, too. The Packers are undefeated, and the Lions are 3-1. Meanwhile, the Bears are on life support.

Detroit should lose next week at Washington (they've never won in D.C. -- ever), so Green Bay has a chance to take a stranglehold on the division.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks