What's new

2007-2008 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

They could publicly decry them as a pox on the game and deride them for having no respect for tradition . . . but they probably wouldn't want to sound so repetitive. :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yes. Someone might remind Hank that Joe Torre certainly seemed to "appreciate the privilege of being a Yankee" manager...but I guess that thinking only works for Hank when it supports his own viewpoint.

This preview of the "Hank years" looks mighty interesting.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, Gammons pretty much took care of that, last night, for MLB. ;)

I just know that teams need to ask for permission, for example, to hold a press conference during the WS (or to make any major announcement) so as not to detract from news coverage of the fall classic.

To have Ken Rosenthal interrupt coverage (I believe it was the 7th inning) of last night's game for the Boras/A-Rod announcement was absolutely ridiculous.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's hoping to Arod not getting an offer over $20million/year on whatever deal he signs. Let's hope no GM is desperate enough to bring the Arod show their team for a premium price.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

THAT, my friend, would be too cool for school.

But something tells me that the persuasive Boras will work his charms on some owner/GM...

[...but fingers are crossed.]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, the part of me that hates the Yankees more than Slappy (which ain't small) wants him to thrive post-Yankees. Seriously, how cool would it be to see the Yankees slip into third or fourth place while Slappy gets a World Series MVP? It would drive people insane.

Although, it appears he won't be doing it for Detroit; they've just traded a bag of magic beans for Edgar Rentaria. Maybe the second time around the AL is the charm.

Back to the Yankees - there's a thing going around the internet about Jorge Posada and Joe Girardi being less than friendly, which might lead Jorge to sign elsewhere. Of course, it's going around the internet, so it could be one guy's speculation based on the fact that Girardi blocked Posada for a couple years just being repeated by many others. Any potential that this is true? Because if the Yankees really have cut ties with Slappy and this isn't a big game of chicken, Posada is the next-most difficult player to replace; there simply isn't another catcher with a bat that good out there.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Posada was arguably ready to assume the starting job but the Yankees initially signed Girardi rather than call him up, and they weren't going to displace the guy they had a bigger investment in for a minor leaguer (hence, Girardi "blocked" Posada). He spent three years in AAA, which is kind of unusual for a player as good as he is.

It probably doesn't make a lot of sense for Posada to resent Girardi for this, but they played as teammates sharing a position for a couple years, and who knows what kind of relationship that leaves them with. For all I know, no sort of rift exists between them except in fans' imaginations, but if there does and this keeps him from signing with New York, that's big trouble.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
While I shudder to think what signing A-Rod for $30 mil would do to salaries all over baseball, I have to say I would be in favor of the Angels signing him. It would be a serious step forward for the team IMO. Heck, I still think that if they could sign Bonds for a reasonable one-year contract they should.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just like A-Rod's previous contract, signing the best player in the game to a record-breaking contract isn't the bad thing. It's signing the likes of Gary Matthews Jr. to big-money deals that will require economy-devastating inflation to become reasonable.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Jason: thanks for explaining the Posada/Girardi situation.

And don't forget the Royals giving Gil Meche (9-13 this year) $55 million over five years! :eek:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you look at Meche's stats, he did quite well. His era was a nice 3.67. He might be overpaid a bit but I think the Royals had to in order to lure a front line starter to KC.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

as evil as Boras may be, he ain't stupid. i'm sure he know exactly what ARod could get on the open market. he wants his cut. if he thought the Yankees offer was the best, he would have let him know.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Girardi agrees to a reported three-year, $6 million deal with the Yankees.

The Dodgers are reportedly interested in having Torre replace Grady Little. Mattingly would ride Torre's coattails cross-country to L.A.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard a peep from Jeter since the end of the season?

I haven't heard word one out of his mouth through the entire Torre affair.

Understand that I'm not saying he should be out there commenting on every headline...I am simply curious if anyone has read/heard anything he's said since the end of the ALDS with the Indians.

I read quite a few players say they supported Torre (Mussina, Rivera, etc) but not Jeter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

This is mainly because the Braves think Yunel Escobar can be their full-time SS. Renteria's ankle injury opened the door for Escobar to shine last this season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jason.

That never rippled on my radar.

I'm sure it was all heartfelt. But to "issue a statement" seems rather passionless.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

Not looking forward to this. If the Dodgers get Torre, I can only assume that he'll still be among the highest paid managers in the game, and on a multi-year basis. I'm not big on Little, but throwing money at the manager spot when there are better places to do so is not my favorite move. The Dodgers have a lot of talent in the system, but we need players, not a big name manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks