2006- The first year of DVD not to surpass its predecessors ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Silver, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

Let me start by saying, I consider myself a moderate to above average DVD collector. I have over 1,000 DVDs with a very good mix of new releases and catalog title movies and a HEAVY emphasis on TV on DVD. A Tuesday trip to Best Buy to pick up the week new releases has been part of my routine since the inception of DVD. Some weeks are heavier than others. That is why it felt very weird when I noticed a couple of months ago that my weekly trip to the store had turned into an every other week journey. It wasn't until yesterday that I there wasn't one single release on my "must have" list for the entire month of July and the beginning of August. In prior years,this would be unfathomable. There was always some new title announced that would start its release in the coming months that I could look forward to.
    I recognize that there is still the same amount of product being released, but in my opinion, my list of the "most coveted" titles as of December 31, 2006, will look dramatically similar to my list of 2005.

As we are passed the half way point of 2006 and the majority of the release schedule has been set for this year, it occurred to me this could be the first year since DVD releases began that I feel didn't surpass its predecessor in terms of quality of "must have" releases.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

2. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Lets see -

Doctor Who 05? score!
    He Man? score!
    Batman and Superman? Score!
    Brisco? Score! (even if I cant afford it)

Naw - youre just not looking in the right places.

3. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

TV shows are my primary purchase on DVD these days.

That is largely due to the fact that there hasn't been a tremendous amount of "compelling" product on the movie side of things (at least for me).

"DVD Tuesday" (as I like to call it) has been something I have looked forward to since I purchased my first DVD player in 1998.

I guess I have cut back quite a bit. I don't go every Tuesday like I used to. I think I have probably become more selective. I don't nearly make the "blind buys" that I used to.

TV shows draw me out on release day because you can often get better deals during the first week of release.

What I have found with many movies is that if I wait a few months after the initial release, prices drop considerably (generally retailing at $15 or less for most product). That sometimes happens with TV, but not as an across the board thing, so it pays to get TV shows during the initial week of release (especially if they are advertised at a discount that week).

4. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

By the way...

The only thing on my radar this month is Season 1 of "JAG" (assuming the wife lets me get it)...

...but yeah...it is a pretty slow month shaping up for me, too...

5. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'm almost exclusively a TVonDVD purchaser (with rare film buys like the recent "Charlie Chan" set). And on top of that I'm mostly what you'd call a "classic" TV person. My primary emphasis is on 50's and 60's television.

I think I'd have to agree with Mark that 2006 looks to be the year that doesn't surpass its predecessor. Last year was a solid, solid year of classic releases and I personally haven't bought as much this year. Don't get me wrong, I've been thrilled with some classic tv releases during the first 2 quarters of '06, but the horizon doesn't look quite as bright as last year.

Gary "and the thing is, while I'm not complaining about having fewer dvds to purchase (my wallet is thankful), there's still plenty of classic 50's & 60's tv that needs to be released - but I'm concerned that the market is slowing down and those classics might not see the light of day" O.

6. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Not many movies that I have on my radar these days, mostly because I have all the movies that are on DVD that I want so it's just new releases. Most of my purchases these days are TV on DVD.

In July I had ER Season 5, Pretender Season 4, JAG Season 1, and the British classic drama/documentary The War Game in the films camp. I think August is more my slow month, only two purchases on the schedual there, Conviction The Complete Series and Farscape Starburst Edition Volume 4.2.

7. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

It's mostly tv sets for me these days too.

The big thing is when it's a movie I like, it's one purchase. When it's a show, it's seven box sets! That skews the averages right there.

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I beg to differ, there have been many shows I love that have finally seen releases this year, as well as further sets of others that I love.

9. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Just so I'm not misunderstood. This is going to be a subjective thread, unless we are going with straightforward numbers of TVonDVDs being released this year versus last year. I'm guessing the overall volume will be up by some percentage, but I have no concrete facts one way or the other on that (and that info wouldn't be known until the end of the year anyhow).

The focus of the original post, and certainly my post, was that this year isn't shaping up to be as big a buying year for us as last year was. And that will be the first time since the advent of TVonDVD that such a comment could be made by some of us.

I also want to say that there has been plenty of releases that I've been thrilled about this year. But if I look back to 2005, and then compare that to what's been released and what I know will be released in 2006, it does look like things have slowed down just a bit. At least it appears that way when I look at "classic" tv releases. Perhaps I'll go back through my library and see if my perceptions actually measure up to reality on this issue. But again, this is going to be somewhat of a subjective thread no matter how you look at it.

Gary "there are still some releases I'm looking forward to, but not quite as many as at this same time last year" O.

10. Steve Meil

Steve Meil Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    That is a very good point. This year I will probably get less than half of what I bought last year. I remember when a good month was buying 4-6 sets. Now this year I haven't bought more that 2 in any month and some months zero. I guess you realize that you don't have to have everything and you are alot more choosy.

11. Phyll

Phyll Stunt Coordinator

In some ways this can be a good thing because it allows people like me who are behind in their collections time to get caught up and hopefully the market doesn't become too flooded. I am liking some releases this year like Perry Mason and The Wild Wild West. But right now I still need two seasons of the Dick Van Dyke Show to complete my collection and this is a chance for me to get caught up. They are so expensive but I find they are very much worth it. I think by the end of 2006 and 2007 the big companies will start bringing out more tv on dvd. And do you think that the slowing down has anything to do with the new formats of hd and blue-ray coming out?

12. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

Well, I've done pretty good for the past 12 months or so, with a steady supply of tv-dvd's (of "classic" variety) to fill my leisure time. However, I do seem to be hitting a discordant dry-spell in the next few months. The delay of the "Mission: Impossible" set particularly stings. I suppose it will give me an opportunity to pick up a few items I passed on initially, but I can't deny I'm a bit disappointed, after being on this really good roll for this past year. Surely things will be picking up by later in the year, right?

Anyway, it's still hard to actually complain, because this whole tv-dvd trend has been so darned terrific. A few years back, I was getting to the point of rarely even watching any television at all, since so much of the vintage material I tend to go for had basically dried up. Plus, all the 'cut' episodes and abrasive commercial interruptions were making the viewing experience rather unsatisfying. So, I'm not about to complain too loudly... yet. I just hope some more classic-tv surprises are in line.

13. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Anyone else out there seem to be hitting a "dry spell" like Bert? That seems to be happening for me as well. I usually have at least 10-12 "pre-order" reminders in my Outlook calendar. At present I have 6 TV/DVD sets in there:

'HOGAN''S HEROES' S4 RELEASE TUE 08/15
    'FAMILY' S1 & 2 RELEASE TUE 09/05
    'A-TEAM' S5 RELEASE TUE 10/10
    'BIONIC WOMAN (PAL) S2' RELEASE WED 10/25
    'POLICE SQUAD' RELEASE DATE TUE 11/07
    'LOONEY TUNES' V4 RELEASE TUE 11/14

I removed Mission:Impossible for now but I'd guess it's coming when M:I III is released later this year. BTW, Bert, I felt that big "sting" too [​IMG]

14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Hmmm...I haven't slowed down at all. In fact, with sales and the ever popular $3.99/$5.99 bins, I'm picking up more stuff that I wouldn't shell out $20 for.

I could be terribly wrong, but isn't the beginning of the year usually slower than the second half, reason being the second half has all the summer movies plus everything coming for Christmas?

As it is, between September and December this year, we have (probably) another Simpsons set, Superman Returns, PotC, the Superman box set, The Little Mermaid, Cars, Mission Impossible III, Star Trek Animated, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, He-Man, She-Ra, Defenders of the Earth, Star Wars, Frankenstein, Dracula, Nightmare on Elm Street, X-Men 3, Justice League, Batman Beyond...and those are just the "high profile" releases on my personal list.

I don't know how far off 2006 is from 2005, but we've got lots of HUGE releases left this year for the general market and a ton of niche product (especially next week for me).

15. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

It's been a banner year for me, I'd say the best ever for classic TV. I'm a bit surprised Gary and Jeff didn't feel the same way but I suppose our tastes don't entirely overlap. 2006 may be a peak for me as I doubt that more than a couple of titles in my want list will be issued in 2007. More likely, there will be more 'Have Gun', 'Voyage' and the final 'Rifleman' sets leading the way.

2006 purchases:

Have Gun—Will Travel S3
    Adventures of Superman S2
    The Time Tunnel vol. 1
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S1 vol. 1
    The Big Valley S1
    The Time Tunnel vol. 2
    Naked City (set 3)
    Rifleman (set 5)
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S1 vol. 2
    Adventures of Superman S3/S4

Still wanting to purchase:

Rawhide S1
    Rifleman (set 6)
    Sgt. Preston of the Yukon S2

Still to come:

Daniel Boone S1 09/26
    Daniel Boone S2 09/26
    Alfred Hitchcock Presents S2 10/17
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S2 vol. 1 10/24
    Gomer Pyle, USMC S1 12/12
    Mission: Impossible S1 ?

16. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I think I mis-conveyed my post [​IMG] The 1st half of this year's been great. It's slowed down within the last month or two for me. '06 buys so far:

1 of: Rat Patrol - The Complete First Season
    1 of: Hill Street Blues - Season 1
    1 of: The A-Team - Season 3
    1 of: The Time Tunnel Vol. 1
    1 of: Dallas - The Complete Fourth Season
    1 of: Lois & Clark - The New Adventures of Superman - The Complete Second Season
    1 of: Wanted Dead or Alive - Season One
    1 of: The Rifleman Box Set Collection 5
    1 of: Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer - Double Feature (More Than Murder / Murder Me, Murder You)
    1 of: NHL Original Six Series - The New York Rangers 1994 Stanley Cup Champions
    1 of: The A-Team - Season Four
    1 of: Knots Landing - The Complete First Season
    1 of: Bewitched - The Complete Third Season
    1 of: Columbo - The Complete Fourth Season
    1 of: I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White)
    1 of: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Vol. 1
    1 of: Rawhide - The Complete First Season
    1 of: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Season 1 Vol. 2
    1 of: I Dream Of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season
    1 of: Perry Mason - Season 1, Vol. 1
    1 of: Charlie's Angels - The Complete Third Season
    1 of: Columbo - The Complete Fifth Season
    1 of: Time Tunnel - Season 1, Vol. 2
    1 of: Lois & Clark - The New Adventures of Superman - The Complete Third Season
    1 of: The Rockford Files - Season Two
    1 of: Time Tunnel - Season 1, Vol. 2
    1 of: Big Valley - Season 1
    1 of: Hill Street Blues - Season 2
    HOGAN'S HEROES-3RD SEASON

It pays to check Amazon's Account info [​IMG]

17. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I have to admit that I'm in the same boat as Jonny. Most of my purchases have been TV on DVD sets, with my anime DVD purchases taking up the bulk of my library. There just haven't been many TV Shows that have become a must have to purchase. The studios are slacking off and the Blue Ray and HD-DVD isn't helping things any either. Why? With standard DVD, the studios just haven't gotten around to releasing those titles that would make them some ideal profits. Not to mention those shows that have a very strong fan following.

With such shows as Courtship of Eddie's Father, Batman, Six Million Dollar Man, as well as countless others ... most studios have slowed their release scheduling because of the DVD format wars and causing fans to spend that money on other essentials.

What happens is that fans start going back and buying shows they missed but end up passing on newer shows being released.