What's new

2006 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
John Mortenson reported this morning that the Raiders broke off negotiations with the Vikings because the Raiders were not willing to give up a second round draft pick for Culpepper. No offense to the Raiders but they draft almost as poorly as the Chiefs so I don't know what they are thinking with the QB situation they are in now. The Chiefs don't really need a QB right now, but I would jump all over Daunte Culpepper for a 2nd round pick if it were the Chiefs as opposed to drafting another tight end to sit behind our other 6. Teams who draft well I could understand the hesitation, but for teams like the Chiefs and Raiders you might as well give up the entire year of picks.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Shane,
If the Cowboys "land" TO, count me out. The road to a title does NOT go through Terrell Owens. If Parcells thinks it does...he's an idiot. Draft someone. Get one of the FA's. Just wait. All are better options.

Seriously, if TO wears the star, I'm not a Cowboys fan. Until he's out. Not because TO is a scumbag (he's not a scumbag, although plenty of them have worn the star), but because it would show enormous football ignorance to sign him. A step back, if you will, in the most drastic way.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Oh, those reports were true, he had a verbal deal in place and backed out when the Browns offered more money.

Jed, here's my thoughts on Culpepper for a 2.

No way would I have made this deal. Well, let me put it a different way, I wouldn't have done it for a 2 straight up. I might have done a conditional second round pick, but it would've had to depend on his statistics next season. Fact is he's coming off of a major knee injury and he didn't look all that great last year before he got hurt.

Think of it like this, whomever the Raiders picked in round 2 is likely to suck. There's no guarantee that Culpepper won't also suck...and if that's what you're looking at, the second round pick doesn't hurt the cap nearly as much especially since Daunte's looking for a raise.

Besides, the Raiders seem to get the second round picks right. Its round 1, and 3-7 where the problems come from, but Jake Grove and Jerry Porter and field goal blocker extra-ordinare Lankston Walker have all been good finds in round 2.

BTW Jed, I love what you've done by combining John Clayton and Chris Mortonson in to one Ueber reporter, this must be the name we credit all news from espn to from now on.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, sometimes my own creativity gets ahead of me. I should just say Mel Claytenson.:)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Gerard Warren re-ups with Denver, wonder how he'll play now that he doesn't have a new contract to play for?

Kendrick Clancy signs with Arizona, and the Edge is in town for a visit.

The 49ers re-up their kicker, which is bad news for me because he has always killed the Raiders both when he played for them and when he played for the Titans, and we play the 49ers next season.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
More from the meat market.

WR, Joe Jurevicius has inked a 4-year deal with the Browns. (They've been busy) 3 signings today. 4-year $10 million.

Former Bronco Defensive End, Trevor Pryce is rumored to be a Baltimore Raven soon.

RB, Deshawn Foster re-upped with the Panthers.

The Vikings signed former Packers Kicker, Ryan Longwell and re-upped Koren Robinson. They are also hosting former Charger Ben Leber.

WR Brandon Loyd was traded from San Francisco to Washington for a couple of draft picks.

Former Redskins TE Robert Royal heads to Buffalo on a 4-year deal.

Former Viking Defensive Back Brian Williams is headed to Jacksonville.

Former Seahawks S Marquand Manuel has signed a five-year, $10 million deal with the Packers, including a $2 million signing bonus.

Former Ravens Defensive Tackle, Maake Kemoeatu signed a 5-year $23 Million contract with Carolina and gets $8 Million in guaranteed money.

The Raiders and Titans have dropped out of the Culpepper trade sweepstakes.

John Kitna is scheduled to visit both the Lions and the Jets.

Josh McCown is headed to Miami for a visit.

Credit, Sirius NFL Radio, ESPN.com and its uber reporter...and Profootballtalk.com

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see Lloyd have a breakout season in his new offense. I still haven't given up on that kid. Unbelievable talent at Illinois.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Former Colt DT Larry Tripplett has signed with Buffalo, and Ben Leber must've liked his visit to the Vikings as it is reported he signed there.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Good Lord the Vikings are tossing money around like they're on a cruise ship. Chester Tayler is the latest edition to the Vikings.

Also the other Browns signing today was LT Kevin Shaffer.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
There are very few things I've ever found that can be as informational and dead on as NFL Radio. There are moments the hosts can be grating, but damn, when they cover the combines, etc. you don't have to worry about them breaking away to tell you about some soccer star. And during draft season, it's almost a "must" to give you an idea of what each team is looking for, free agent movements, etc.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Another reason why I have 0 problem with the Raiders not trading a 2nd round pick for Culpepper is that things are so bad that if he's not traded by the time his roster bonus is due, the Vikings will just cut him. So, why trade for him, if there's a chance you can get him under your own terms? Sure, you run the risk of him going to another team that was willing to trade, but if that's the case, then look elsewhere like at Josh McCown, but please God not John Kitna, he would make me long for the Collins days. So, and it is a long-shot, if you can get Culpepper under your own terms and keep your 2nd round pick wouldn't it be smart to see if things play out in your favor? But, having said that, and the collective wonderlic score of the Raider front office sometimes being lower than Vince Young's score, they'll probably trade 10 number 1's for Culpepper, and toss in Derrick Burgess to sweeten the deal.

Ok, so they're probably not that stupid.

I said probably not.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Lloyd has good hands, but unfortunately the arms they are attached to are of the alligator variety. If he'd play a little tougher, he'd be very good. I'll never forget this great video I saw of him ducking a pass that was coming for his head...

In Bears news, Randle-El and Adam Archuleta are both scheduled for visits over the next two days...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Edgerrin James is a Cardinal.

Steve Hutchinson signed an offer-sheet with the Vikings.

Ted Washington and the former Ravens punter with the funky name have signed with Cleveland, who are early winners in free agency.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
ESPN is now mentioning that the Cowboys will be the spot for TO. This is getting scary for me(and Chuck).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I understand TO is a great talent, but he's HATED in Dallas. Literally hated. Why sign a guy your fans hate?

Color me surprised at the Edge signing. I guess he figured he'd made his run for a ring, now it's time to get paid. He's going to miss playing with Peyton, as every down it's KILL EDGE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks