What's new

2006 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just checking in. I'm not that thrilled with the Lions first round pick -- undersized, concusion-prone LB Ernie Sims. It also looks like the Eagles screwed Detroit in the 2nd round, trading to the pick in front of the Lions and grabbing OT Winston Justice (who I was really hoping Detroit would get).

At least Millen didn't take a QB, WR or TE in the first round. You would have heard me screaming all the way from the golf course had that happened.

I was at the golf course today, so I haven't looked at all the first round action yet. I'll make comments after seeing what everyone did.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
How'd you play today Scott?

Oakland continues on defense in round 2 with Thomas Howard - OLB - UTEP

I like them putting the emphasis on defense, I'd like to see them take a run stuffing Defensive Tackle before the draft is over.

We're not going to win with Aaron Brooks but after Leinart and Cutler there were no other QB's that would be ready to step in this year anyway. I'm not regretting the Huff pick at all though.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Broncos got a Pro Bowl receiver with experience for a second round pick. That's a win.

Titans take LenDale. Sweet, last year I suffered through Pacman and his bling (and attitude), and now I get LenDale and his boyzzzz. At least Steve McNair will be there to provide leadership :frowning: Oh wait...

Redskins overreach again for a LB in the 2nd??? Three total picks for Rocky? Hope he's that good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It will be a cold day in hell before another top player that rates very high in the draft comes back for his fifth year of eligibility. What happened to Leinart is one of the reasons why I would never begrudge a player for giving up his college eligibility for the professional money. These guys are young businessmen that need to cash in while the market is hot for their services.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I agree, Robert. Leinhart lost more money than any of us could ever imagine having by returning to school.

The stupidity that is Matt Millen continues. The Lions take RB Brian Calhoun with their 3rd round pick. That's one of the few positions where they needed no help. So much for improving the offensive line or pass rush this year. The Packers will have company in the bowels of the NFC North this season. :angry:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I wonder if recruits will view Lienert's loss in value and apparent bad advice by Caroll as a negative. Because most recruits believe they will turn pro in 3 years. Whether or not they have the talent, and may see this as a bad omen. Not like USC needs more bad omens.

I still can't figure out what the Bills are doing. But Houston really put together a very solid draft. Yes, people will gripe at them over Bush, but their continual picks shored up real weaknesses and that's what they needed.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's a foolish risk, but maybe that extra year in college prepared him to not be a flop. :) Maybe he can make up the $40 million by getting a second contract? Probably, not, but...

Would have liked to have seen Stovall on the Pats, but can't disagree with their picks.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
At the end of the day, how many millions does a person really need?

Plus, the teams at the beginning of the draft are usually terrible. It's better to go a little later and play for a good team.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Who were the other bad teams in 2005 (besides the 49ers) that would have had a shot at drafting Leinart? With all the big money signing bonuses, the NFL doesn't have a cultivation atmosphere when it comes to QBs anymore. It's play now, and if you get crushed (a la Alex Smith, or David Carr), it's welcome to the NFL, hope you can still walk in 3 years from now.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think we need to wait a few years before we can judge Leinart' financial loss because its the next contract that matters. Who do you think will get more money in their second contracts? Philip Rivers, Eli Manning or Ben Rothlesberger? There is something to be said for going to a better team. I think people are way too near sighted when it comes to the NFL these days. If Leinart went last year he may be Alex Smith on that crappy Niner's franchise and probably bounced out of the league before he even collects on his entire rookie contract.

That being said, I always think its dumb for kids to go back to school when they are guaranteed top 10 picks, let alone the number 1 overall. People who say differently are just selfish and really aren't looking out for the players best interest. Yes, I am looking at you Duke Vitale!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

He'll still end up getting more money than any of us will ever earn so let's not pity him too much.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On the Sports Reporters, they made a good point that Leinart ending up in Arizona has him surrounded by some good wide recievers, and the Edge in the backfield. The question mark will be the offensive line protection. But it's a team on the upswing. It may still work out for him in the long run.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator

There were no other teams. Leinart would have gone #1 to the 49ers and Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers would have been battling for that #24 spot.

Heh, in a way, Alex Smith has Matt Leinart to thank for his $49 million contract.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Day 2 is nuts and bolts day.

I really like Oakland's pick of Darnell Bing in Round 4.

Not a sexy draft for the Raiders, just filling needs and not taking risks on guys 2 rounds too early, someone want to go see if Al Davis is ok? You can tell Art Shell is on the job because 3 picks have been offensive linemen.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Seeing the Cardinals being referred to as "a better team" has to be the strangest thing about this draft. I know they have a lot of offensive weapons on paper, but come on, it's the Cardinals. They are the only franchise that's a bigger joke than my Lions.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
So now that the draft is over, I feel there is only one question left to be asked and of course it goes to Scott and Brandon.

How do you think Sims will handle the switch from LB to WR?

Nathan A

Second Unit
Exactly! You other people must be kidding! Granted, I'm sure many football players don't get what they should out of college, but college is something that's a shame to miss out on if you're able to go through it. Who would have encouraged Lebron James to drop out of high school to join the NBA a year early if it meant $50 million instead of $10 million? Anyone? Shame on you!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

He'd probably be more productive than Charles Rogers and Mike Williams have been. Also, he's certainly small enough to play the position.

It sucks to be a Lions fan. :frowning:

Nathan A

Second Unit
hrmph. Maybe he was getting what he was supposed to out of college? At any rate, I'm sure he'll be just fine without the extra $40 million.

Users who are viewing this thread