What's new

2006 Golden Globes (Films) discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
And the nominees are:
Edit to highlight the winners:

DRAMA
Babel

Bobby
The Departed
Little Children
The Queen

ACTRESS (DRAMA)
Penelope Cruz - Volver
Judi Dench - Notes on a Scandal
Maggie Gyllenhall - Sherrybaby
Helen Mirren - The Queen
Kate Winslet - Little Children

ACTOR (DRAMA)
Leonardo DiCaprio - Blood Diamond
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Departed
Peter O'Toole - Venus
Will Smith - The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland

MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Borat
The Devil Wears Prada
Dreamgirls
Little Miss Sunshine
Thank You For Smoking

ACTRESS (MUSICAL OR COMEDY)

Annette Bening - Running with Scissors
Toni Collette - Little Miss Sunshine
Beyonce Knowles - Dreamgirls
Meryl Streep - The Devil Wears Prada
Rene Zellweger - Miss Potter

ACTOR (MUSICAL OR COMEDY)
Sasha Baron Cohen - Borat

Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Aaron Eckhart - Thank You for Smoking
Chiwetel Ejiofor - Kinky Boots

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
Apocalypto
Letters from Iwo Jima

The Lives of Others
Pan's Labyrinth
Volver

ANIMATED FILM
Cars
Happy Feet
Monster House

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Adriana Barraza - Babel
Cate Blanchett - Notes on a Scandal
Emily Blunt - The Devil Wears Prada
Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi - Babel

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ben Affleck - Hollywoodland
Jack Nicholson - The Departed
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Brad Pitt - Babel
Mark Wahlberg - The Departed

DIRECTOR
Clint Eastwood - Flags of Our Fathers
Clint Eastwood - Letters from Iwo Jima
Stephen Freers - The Queen
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - Babel
Martin Scorcese - The Departed

SCREENPLAY
Babel
Little Children
Notes on a Scandal
The Departed
The Queen

ORIGINAL SCORE
The Painted Veil
The Fountain
Babel
Nomad
The Da Vinci Code

ORIGINAL SONG
A Father's Way - Pursuit of Happyness
Listen - Dreamgirls
Never Gonna Break My Faith - Bobby
Song of the Heart -
Happy Feet
- Home of the Brave

(Note - split the thread between film noms in this area, and TV noms in the TV area)
Song of the Heart - Happy Feet

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Good year for Leo!
I am one of those who look for reasons not to like him, but he always exceeds my expectations.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Babel 7 Departed 6 Dreamgirls 5 Queen 4 Devil Wears Prada 3 Little Children 3 Notes on a Scandal 3 Bobby 2 Borat 2 Happy Feet 2 Letters from Iwo Jima 2 Little Miss Sunshine 2 Pursuit of Happyness 2 Thank You for Smoking 2 Volver 2 Apocalypto 1 Blood Diamond 1 Cars 1 Da Vinci Code 1 Flags of our Fathers 1 Fountain 1 Hollywoodland 1 Kinky Boots 1 Last King of Scotland 1 Lives of Others 1 Miss Potter 1 Monster House 1 Nomad 1 Painted Veil 1 Pans Labyrinth 1 Pirates 1 Running with Scissors 1 Sherrybaby 1 Venus 1

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm surprised to see Babel get so much attention. I suppose I shouldn't be. The HFPA always has loved Innaritu.

Odd seeing Clint get so much love, but Flags gets none. Again, they love Clint.

Worst nom: Bobby for best pic.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen Bobby yet, but from the reviews this nomination surprised me.

Honestly unless Dreamgirls goes big with the Oscars I'm not sure how much translation can be read into these noms vs the Oscars. Usually it's a decent indicator, but are we really going to see Babel, Dreamgirls, Little Children, The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine as the Oscar noms? (or something like that)

I suppose maybe, and I've only see Departed and LMS from that group (and Prada, Smoking and Borat), but while I liked both I wouldn't consider either front runners for Best Pix noms. LMS is perhaps a Full Monty type of film with an outside "feel good" chance.

Ironically the best part of LMSunshine was left out of a nomination - Alan Arkin as Supporting Actor. I'd put him in over Nicholson in a heartbeat on this one.

I've just been assuming that there are a bunch of Oscar caliber films that I haven't had the chance to see yet. I expected stuff like Flags of our Fathers, Prestige or Illusionist to make a bigger splash (ie, more than basically nothing).

Motion captured Monster House over Washed Away? I liked Monster House quite a bit but this really surprised me.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Surprises/disagreements:;

1. No noms for Prestige
2. No noms for United 93
3. DVC score nom
4. Depp's nom for Pirates 2

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Hmmm...think Helen Mirren is having a good year?

She will be the only Globe winner to win 2 statues for Best Actress in one night. Coincidentally both for playing the Queen of England...just not the same Queen.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I think Jackman should have been nominated for The Fountain. An incredibly human performance, without which the film would have been far more academic and far less moving.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Dreamgirls, Departed, Queen and Letters from Iwo Jima are the four strongest contenders for best picture nominations.

Then there's a contentious bunch of pictures lurking in the wings aiming at the last open spot (or two, Iwo Jima isn't a lock for picture).
Babel, Little Miss Sunshine, and United 93.

two films that are unlikely but could be crazy surprises are Pursuit of Happyness and Children of Men.

Good Shepherd, Bobby, Good German are all pretty much out of the oscar race.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
BTW, thank god on what's out of the Oscar race. I had immediate misgivings - and posted them earlier - in regards to Bobby getting nods. Bobby is not only not an Oscar worthy film, I just didn't think it was a very good film.. period.

Other noms surprised me a bit, like Borat. But I never take the Golden Globes very seriously; a few years ago, there was a documentary about how faked up they were - I wish I could remember the name - that was a real eye opener as to what hte golden globes really are.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Some reactions:

Drama
- Bobby?

Actress (Drama)
- Gyllenhall?

Actor (Drama)
- Two for Leo!

Actor (Musical/Comedy)
- Sasha Baron Cohen!
- Chiwetel Ejiofor!
- Only 4 nominees?

Foreign Language Film
- Crazy categaory. I typically think movies from other countries, but...

Supporting Actress
- Not Blanchett for The Good German?
- Who's Emily Blunt?

Supporting Actor
- Mark Wahlberg!

Director
- Two for Eastwood!

Josh.C

Second Unit
Looks like this could be Leo's year. I'm kindof like Chris. I used to always try to find flaw with Decaprio. Maybe it was because all the girls liked him and I wanted them to like me growing up :).

I have matured since then, and so has his acting ability. It is time for all of us haters to give this guy his due. He is a brilliant actor. I hope he wins.

JC

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I can not agree more. I was very disappointed to see it not even get mentioned. Between the snub for United 93, no mention of the fantastic Catch a Fire and only a cursory nod to Blood Diamond-and nothing for Djimon Hounsou-it feels like all the awards people are playing it safe by nominating feel good pictures or, at the very least, ones that are not controversial. Is this some sort of backlash after Brokeback Mountain and Crash upstaged just about everything else last year?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
not so much 'feel good' pictures this year as that last year everything was 'serious' 'good-for-you' and dour. Films are also entertaining, and while Munich and Brokeback were at the top of my list last year I can't say I've rewatched them since. In many respects the act of going to a film is supposed to be enjoyable, and last year's awards winners didn't especially inspire joy in the hearts of viewers. That's part of the reason why Dreamgirls and Departed are so strong this year, as well as films like Pursuit of Happyness and Little Miss Sunshine having very strong chances to pick up best picture nominations. So yeah, United 93 and Babel are both suffering from the "I don't want to watch it" factor. Last year folks didn't have a choice, this year they have fun, enjoyable, spectacularly made films instead, makes it a harder trek.

Plus United 93 is not exactly a day people have any desire to revisit. I'm going to see it, sigh, but I don't want to at all. I'm only seeing it because it has awards buzz. I would prefer never seeing it. Not very open-minded, but I don't care, It's taken 8 months for me to work up to seeing it, and I'm a little resentful that I feel kind of 'forced' to see it--all of that will be true of many others, making United 93 a very difficult nomination to achieve. I'd actually expect Children of Men before United 93.

Competing against the batch last year, I think Dreamgirls, Departed, the Queen would have easily won against any of them. This year is almost the opposite of last year.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I understand about movies being about "feeling good" and "entertainment", but how can anyone say this will truly be a Best Dramatic Film race when some of the films are being slighted because of their content? By all rights, this category should be called "Best Dramatic Film We Feel Like Watching" or some other similarly named.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I fought it for a while, but then I decided to mostly give up on caring about awards. There is no rhyme or reason to many of the decisions, and the criteria used often seems to shift from year to year.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Adam, I certainly understand and respect your point of view here, however it really is an excellent film...It's somewhat removed from the entirety of The Day as it focuses on the flight, the air traffic controllers and NORAD. You certainly get pulled back to the wider reality, but it is so intense at times in each of those three specific arenas that you get too wrapped up in the goings on to reflect too much about what had happened. The continuous tension and recreation of the confusion were absolutely brillantly handled and the actors (some of whom were the actual people handling those roles on 9/11) were spot-on.

Several reviews stated that you get so involved that even towards the end you find yourself rooting for the passengers to land safely. It happened with me as well. There's no maudlin scenes, no over the top musical crescendos and certainly no disrespect to those that perished. I haven't seen a better film from 2006 (granted I've only seen 20 or so).

Having said that, I think your theory about why the film is not garnering consideration for the top awards is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks