1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

2006-07 UEFA Champions League

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Haggai, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Figured I'd start a thread for this. ESPN2 shows some games here in the US, and back during my grad school days, I could usually watch them live, but joining the real world put a stop to that. Fortunately, DVR service will do the trick for me now. Plus, I'm getting the Fox Soccer Channel now for the first time, so I guess I'll be able to see highlights of the other games, which should definitely be fun. ESPN2 is showing Man U. at Benfica tomorrow, and Chelsea at Levski Sofia on Wednesday. Oct. 18 and 31 are the two dates when Chelsea plays Barcelona, so I assume ESPN2 will show those games, which will hopefully be worth waiting for!

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads-up on the Chelsea games. It never dawned on me that ESPN2 would carry games from the UEFA Champions League.

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Actually, they've been doing it for at least a decade! The first time I watched Champions League on ESPN/ESPN2 was the '97-'98 season, when Real Madrid ended up winning their first title since the '60s. I remember being pissed off that Feyenoord seemed to be on every week during group play--not that I have anything against them as a club, but they sucked so badly in those games that they were no fun at all to watch!

4. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

I am travelling my way through Europe for the next couple of months, and watching Arsenal and live football along the way.

I saw them beat Hamburg SV in the Champions League in Trondheim, Norway. (A pint of beer there costs 10 Dollars - Yikes!). It was fun to be in a totally packed pub and making fun of the Man U fans by cheering when Celtic scored.
    I saw them beat Man U in Narvik, Norway.
    I will see them play Porto FC in the Champions League in Helsinki on Tuesday.

A month ago I was in Hamburg, Germany and I saw Hamburg draw 1-1 with Hertha Berlin. The fans from Berlin were pretty wild. Things almost got out of hand.

I hope to attend matches for the following teams: Ajax, Stuttgart (maybe), Bayern Munich, AC Milan or possibly Inter Milan, Juventus (Relegated or not), Fiorenzi(?)(maybe), and some Spanish teams time permitting.

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

So it turns out that ESPN Classic also shows a game on each of the match days. I watched Man U-Benfica on Tuesday, and Barcelona-Werder Bremen yesterday. Man. U. didn't look too hot for a lot of their game, but they ended up winning 1-0 on a very nice goal from Saha. With six points from their first two games and the next two being against Copenhagen, it looks like they've got pretty smooth sailing to making it out of the group play.

Bremen-Barcelona was a well-played and entertaining match, with Bremen getting an own goal early in the second half, but then Deco and Messi worked a bit of magic around the penalty area to tie it right at the end. Chelsea has six points in that group now, and Barca has four, so maybe their games against each other won't be too intense. Still, Barca will want to get some good results from them, and unfortunately Eto'o got hurt in the game yesterday and will probably be out for two to three months.

ESPN2 is also running an hour-long Champions League highlights show on Friday afternoon.

6. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Arsenal had a good first half against PSV, but their second half performance was awful. They played lax on defense and didn't take PSV seriously. They let them bring the ball forward too easily and got burned. No matter what sport you play one thing is true: Defense is all about desire and effort. Their passing was sloppy and they couldn't hold onto the ball.

After watching 75 percent of Arsenal's games this year here are my thoughts:

1. I want to like Adebayor. I really do, but unless he gets the perfect pass, in the perfect space, at the perfect time, and all the planets are in alignment - he can't do anything with the ball. He gets called for offsides too many times, he gets the ball taken away too easily, his passes are clumsy, his shot selection and aim are poor, and he can't run around a defender unless they have a wooden leg.
    2. Thierry Henry hasn't lost a step. He has lost two or three.
    3. I love Ljunberg but if he was a horse they would have shot him by now. He has no speed left and can't get by anyone.
    4. I can't wait for Van Persie to get better. When he is on the pitch I always feel like Arsenal can score no matter what the situation.
    5. I would be very surprised if Baptista is wearing an Arsenal jersey in August 2008.
    6. I love Hleb. He looks like William Defoe after a 3-day bender. I imagine him in a Green Goblin costume flying around North London. He has the worst hair since Ray Parlor's perm.
    7. Fabregas is a bit overrated. I like his defending style, which is to run into every opposing player and start grabbing them - he never gets whistled on it.
    8. Kolo Toure is THE MAN. He reminds me of Mr. Echo on Lost. He should be allowed to carry a wooden stick with him on the pitch.
    9. I like Gael Clichy too. He just does his job and doesn't whine or complain about anything.
    10. I loved Gallas before he got hurt - he looked SLLOOOWWW today.
    11. Almunia has progressed to the point to where he doesn't scare the hell out of me when is in the game anymore.
    12. Theo Walcott gets a grade of EO - as in Extremely Overrated. He is too small and plays small. I don't think he will ever amount to much.
    13. I like watching Rosicky. With his floppy hair and spin moves he is the Steve Nash of soccer.
    14. I really miss Patrick Viera. Other midfielders try to go around people when they have the ball. Viera went through people.
    15. I don't know what the feeling is in England, but I would assume that Arsenal is not well liked. Eboue is a diver and a cheat. Lehman isn't arrogant - he is an A-hole. Henry will go postal on someone every once in a while. Wenger complains too much.

7. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

I saw where David Navarro of Valencia was suspended 7 months from UEFA competition for coming off the bench and gave a cheap shot to a player for Inter Milan that broke his nose.

What a complete joke of a "suspension". They are going to get bounced by Chelsea and then he can play if they qualify next year. This is why soccer is such a complete joke. I can't watch anything except the English and German leagues. Everyone else are cheats, divers, fakers, whiny complainers, and play like fairies.