What's new

2005 War of the Worlds 11/22 (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that is some SERIOUS blooming going on in those screenshots. I didn't notice anything remotely like that when I saw this flick at the theater and I think I'd remember something that pronounced. I really hope the DVD doesn't look that bad on my screen. :frowning:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

the bass is very loud, maybe too loud...but to comment a bit more on the mix, the way the low stuff and the subtle sounds melded around me during the lightning storm (to cite one example) was amazing, and had me squirming from the impact (even tho I knew what was happening)...

I've heard lots of busy, active mixes since getting into this hobby in 1998, and what's needed to impress me these days is not just the multitude of sounds coming from every channel, but how they blend and immerse the viewer into the movie. The subtle use of effects will usually impress me more than an action scene full of gun fire, screeching tyres and explosions...

Not sure if that makes sense...but that's my 2c...:)

Cheers,

Joe

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I don't know where you guys saw this film, but when I saw it, it looked exactly like that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'll look again but i didnt notice the blooming that much.

the movie on the big screen looked grainy and alittle washed out much the way M.R. looked.

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
Oh dear.

Those screencaps don't look good. This was the one film ive been looking forward to on DVD since July, and if it turns out to be a stinker, I won't be happy.

I have screencaps of the R2 version, but can't post them, as im a new member or something.

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
I remember those excessive blooming shots from the theatrical presentation quite vividly and they looked pretty much like those screenshots that Niko posted.

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
Here are 2 screengrabs from the trailer...

And the following screengrabs are from the R2 PAL edition...
They don't look as "bad" as the R1 to my eyes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
has anyone who has this noticed as the menu loads it is completely washed out.
mostly due to a large white flash of light that blinks during the menu load.

also take a look at the opening shots.
start at about 1.40 to 1.49.

the tops of over view of the buildings is super washed then the lighting is reduced to eliminate the washed effect.

looks totaly intentional and is consistant with a couple past spielberg movies.
and it looks like when i saw it earlier this year.

the pal shots here look the same as the reg 1 version i'm wtching.

these shots are from my laptop.
i have the front and the back shots in succession of the some bloomed looking shots posted earlier.

car

front one

front, two

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
btw the shots from the trailer looked awful and enhanced(fixed) to remove blooming.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I only saw this movie once during its theatrical run, but I remember thinking the same thing as well. Those early scenes definitely had that "Minority Report/A.I. washed-out, over-exposed" look that Spielberg seems so fond of these days. (How's that for a technical description, BTW? :))

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Is the limited edition worth the extra cash? I'll be buying this one blind just don't know which version to go for.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
The special features sound pretty good so I think it might be worth the extra $$$ for the 2-disc set.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
Just looking at those screencaps, yuck. I was looking forward to this release, and now I may have to pass it up due to that blooming in the picture. When I first saw it in theaters, there was no blooming in the background. And when I saw it again 2 weeks ago, there was no blooming.

Maybe it was the way the screencaps were taken, but I sure hope that my copy won't look like that. :angry:

Mark E J

Second Unit
I'm sorry but that paticular scene looked EXACTLY like that in the theaters. Now if it looks like that throughout the whole film I'd agree that there is a problem.

But the scene where Ray meets his ex-wife at the begining always had the blooming effect.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I got an early copy, I looked at it, and yeah, for a few shots, that blooming is BAD--but when the camera pulls back, it's fine. It's intended, not as a practical effect, but because that much water on the ground reflecting THAT much sunlight, it's going to bloom. It's not a film artifact, your EYES would witness blooming looking at someone standing in front of a watery street like that. Which might be why I didn't notice it in theaters--It just came off as natural.

those shots are very few, stuck ONLY on that scene, and there is no blooming anywhere else in the video. If there's any complaint, the video might be TOO grainy for some people's tastes, but I like it myself, especially for the subject matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks