What's new

2005 Various Guild Awards (Actors, Producers, Cinematographers, Art Directors +) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Whooo! Catalina Sandino Moreno must be very confused right now. Good for the SAG! Cheadle! Highmore! Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine (swoon)! All of 'em, really.

I've seen every film except The Notebook and boy am I kicking myself for missing that now. I'd have a perfect record.

The only slight beef I have is that I would have chosen Sharon Warren (Ray's mother in the film) over Okonedo, but I thought Okonedo was good too.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The American Society Of Cinematographers nominees are out.

The Aviator, Collateral, The Passion of the Christ, Ray and A Very Long Engagement. Good picks.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Again, Ray surprises me a little. It looked decent, but I don't know about that high.

I haven't seen Passion or Engagement yet, but based on what I've seen in clips they both look like great photography and both have been cited by critics for it as well.

You see a problem here? No M$Baby. Uh oh, Aviator gets a big bump.

I thought that both Eternal and Closer had good shots in this one. The look of Closer was fantastic. I also thought Motorcycle Diaries would have a shot here.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The Writers Guild threw a few interesting surprises at us. I'll bet Tina Fey is having a heart attack right about now.

AND JULIE DELPHY! AND ZACH!

I have some more things to add (like the "adapted from" credits, and I'd like to add IMDB pages for the writers) but I wanted to get the nominees up right away.

Original:

John Logan
The Aviator

Charlie Kaufman
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Zach Braff
Garden State

Keir Pearson & Terry George
Hotel Rwanda

Bill Condon
Kinsey

---

Adapted:

Richard Linklater & Julie Delpy & Ethan Hawke
Before Sunset

Tina Fey
Mean Girls

Paul Haggis
Million Dollar Baby

Jose Rivera
The Motorcycle Diaries

Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor
Sideways

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Seth, I added the adapted from credits.

Richard Linklater & Julie Delpy & Ethan Hawke
Based on Characters Created by Richard Linklater & Kim Krizan

They consider the first movie as they would a book or a play, it seems.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I guess that might also explain why Godfather II won for Adapted Screenplay instead of Original. The De Niro as young Vito stuff was adapted from Puzo's original book, but the continuation of Michael's story from the first movie/book, which constitutes most of Part II, was entirely new material created just for that movie. Had Part III been nominated for its screenplay (it wasn't, though it was for Best Picture), I guess that would have been in Adapted Screenplay as well.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I never realized or even thought about that wrt Godfather II. Interesting.

The Art Directors Guild have weighed in.

Category I - Period or Fantasy Films

The Aviator
Production Designer: Dante Ferretti

Finding Neverland
Production Designer: Gemma Jackson

The Incredibles
Production Designer: Lou Romano

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Production Designer: Rick Heinrichs

The Phantom of the Opera
Production Designer: Anthony Pratt

---

Category II - Contemporary Films

Collateral
Production Designer: David Wasco

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Production Designer: Dan Leigh

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Production Designer: Mark Friedberg

Million Dollar Baby
Production Designer: Henry Bumstead

The Terminal
Production Designer: Alex McDowell

Nice to see Eternal Sunshine in there. It heightens the chances of an Oscar nom. Really nice to see Life Aquatic and The Terminal in there, since I don't think they have any chance at an Oscar nom. I didn't much care for The Terminal (though I really should see it again) but the Art Direction was breathtaking.

The nod for Phantom is well-justified and is the only Oscar nom I'm predicting for that movie. Well, maybe Costumes too.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, as I said in my review of The Terminal, everything about the film was great...except the story itself which simply had no real conflict and struggled to be a story about anything. Lots of effort to tell a half-hearted story pretending that cliches are tension creating issues.

Life Aquatic's strongest aspect might have been the AD as well, though I really liked most of the writing and acting.

Collateral surprises me a bit. Ray was left out on the period thing, but Incredibles got in on the fantasy side. I hadn't been thinking about an animated film having art direction, though it makes perfect sense.

Besides with films like LOTR featuring so much art direction created with CGI too, the line is totally blurred anymore. Basically however you create the scenary and costumes it's all art direction I guess.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Re: A Very Long Engagement cinematograpgy nom. A bit surprising as I thought the look of the film was obtained by largely digital means.

--
H

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd think that Cinematography consists of a lot more than just the tint of the film. Besides, computers are just another tool to use. Why treat it differently from filters and lenses?

Updated with the American Cinema Editors (yet another group who forgets they have a web site and that people might actually, gasp!, want to go there for, of all things, information) nominees. Sally Menke (KBV2) made the list!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting my whole life for an animated film to get mentioned for art direction. I hold no hope for The Incredibles actually landing an Oscar nod for art direction (too many AD's jealous of the freedom in animation versus having to actually build and dress the sets), but it is still good to see this finally happen.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if its just jealousy to recognize that it's one thing to design with zero constraints vs having to make the most within the limits. Not just the work, but in how materials won't look like you imagine on camera.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Producers Guild winner (Aviator) and Cinema Audio Society nominations.

I'm still working on getting links to everybody. Hey, at least it'll be done by next year's list. :b

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with the Motion Picture Sound Editors nominations. The only one left is the Makeup and Hair people, and I don't know what's going on with them. They must be awfully ashamed of their awards, they really want to keep it all a secret. I might just take them off next year's list. To heck with them.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with the Director's Guild winner, Clint Eastwood (sigh, poor Marty). I'm in Philadelphia and just got back to the hotel from a concert. I'm using my husband's laptop, something I'm not used to using. If there's anything weird about my post, I'll change it when I get back home to Chicago and my own computer, in a couple of days.

Poor Marty.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

As much as I love Scorsese, he didn't deserve the award this year. Eastwood's film is not only better, but it's the type of a film that stays with you, long after you viewed it. Even today, weeks after I first watched MDB, images from that film still move me unlike any film I've seen in years.

Crawdaddy

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Screen Actors Guild winners.

Best Actor: Jamie Foxx, Ray
Best Actress: Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, The Aviator
Best Supporting Actor: Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby
Ensemble: Sideways

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks