What's new

2005 Track Your Films List (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I have no problem with having two threads, I was just pointing out that Jason's thread doesn't constrain types of films, dates, etc.

If there is a demand, this thread should stay open.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Sometimes it seems like nobody is listening. :)
Matt, I understand that Jason's thread ultimately tolerates "all types of films," but as I've posted at least twice now, he makes it clear that his is a thread primarily for NEW movies and tells you DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU INTEND TO SEE A LARGE AMOUNT OF NEW RELEASES! I mean, it can't be much more obvious than that. As a result, Michael and I have felt very out of place over there.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Point taken, Joe. I actually was listening to your posts, I just thought I'd add my name to the "already happy with Jason's post" list. I meant no offense.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I know Kevin. Pretty pathetic. Just lazy I suppose.;)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Hey all,

Sorry I haven't been here in the past few days; busy busy BUSY at work. I'm transferring jobs next week, so it's a lot of paperwork and meetings, not to mention viewings of December releases, before I head away for Xmas vacation and get to work on my Best of 2004 piece.

First things first (I was going to start up a thread about this but I might as well bring it up here), the 2005 list is going up on the 1st of January (or around that time, I'll let you all know closer to the date) and I will be tracking all 2005 releases, films seen for the first time, short subject films, festival releases along with television, music and other forms of media. I cover film festivals along with screeners and various odds-and-ends so I was hoping to better track the list than I did this and previous years. I originally wanted to get some kind of standardized set-up but I kind of like the individuality in everyone's posts.

I was thinking of calling it the 2005 Media List or the 2005 Multimedia List or the 2005 Film List if you guys don't agree or have any ideas let me know.

In regards to Joe's and Michael's list (you two seem to be pals, heh), I dig the tracking idea but it's already being done in a sort by members like Bill McA, Stephen R, Bill Harris, etc and myself, who list everything on these lists. I do like the day-by-day feature though although I'm personally a fan of alphabetical lists to locate things quicker.

And Michael, I thought I saw an insane amount of films. I have some catching up to do. :)

Now. As for the 2005 Films, which I have argued and debated many times in the past, I still recommend (but don't enforce) that you see some of the new stuff along with the old! There's a lot of good stuff out there! That said, for 2005, as long as you keep your list updated and don't forget about it, it should be fine. It's just a personal quirk to see new films and attend as many film festivals as you can. I tell that to everyone. :)

Jason

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

What?!? Don't even tell me you didn't enjoy ONE MILLION AC/DC. :D

I hear what you're saying Jason, although it seemed our lists were a bit unwelcomed in the 2004 thread. Back then I mentioned we were going to try something "new" to see if it would work or not. The only big difference in the two lists is that the one we started was meant to keep records of the dates. The only problem with my list would be the fact that I really don't see many films in the theater and as of now, I don't plan on seeing any movies coming out next year. I saw THE PASSION and will see THE AVIATOR at the theater this year and the rest of my 2004 titles come from what I receive from screeners.

I'm not sure how many people actually read those threads to see what others think of movies but that's what I did. When I want to see opinions on THE TERMINAL, I go to your thread and it's easy to tell what people thought on the film. With this other thread, it would be rather difficult to find what someone thought of a film made in 2005 because everything was mixed together and not seperated as well as your thread.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Jason - if we're going to wind up having two different threads, it would be good if the titles were different in feel and nature. Yours with a heavier emphasis on trying more new releases and multi-media, perhaps, and this one more about tracking all decades of films, not necessarily brand new. I just hope the mods can either change this current thread title into something like 2005 All Decades Film List (or something catchier) and maybe we can start this whole thread all over again closer to January 1st, as these first two pages should contain actual lists.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Michael/Joe; we should probably work on something in regards to these lists closer to the new year. Let's email or IM closer to January.

Holadem,

For which list?

2005 Film/Media/Multimedia list on the 1st of January.

Best of 2004 Throw Down list probably closer to the end of the year this time (last year I put up my list around the 25th), to let more people get the Xmas releases viewed. I'd say that one would go up on the 30th or the 31st (again, I'll post in here when I know something definite).

Jason

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joe and Jason,
After reading arguments from both sides, I want to make sure that we don't have two very similar threads serving the same purpose. In order for both threads to be effective, they need to be distinguishable from each other. Once, you have established the guidelines to your respective lists, please, informed me of said guidelines because I don't want either thread to overlap each other in such a way that it causes confusion or divisiveness among the membership. We don't need other HTF members sending angry emails to other members in response to either thread. If both threads can't co-exist without causing commotion among the membership then one thread will be close to rectify the situation.

Furthermore, I will prune this thread of unrelated posts, once everything is in place. Thanks to all for their input and thoughts on this matter.

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's getting closer to the start of 2005 so I thought I'd bump this thread up again to see what's going to be what.
Robert, the only thing I can see that's different about the two ideas for these movie watching threads would be that my idea is to mostly favor past movies of all decades while Jason's - even though he does allow other years to be added too - is primarily a thread with a heavy emphasis on brand new, 2005 films. Would this sound about right? If so, maybe there could be a "2005 Film List" (Jason's) and a "List All the Films You Watch - 2005 Edition" thread (mine).

If there is only going to be one thread allowed ulitmately, then Jason's the one who started this tradition already so his should stand, naturally. The only thing I would feel badly about in that case is that the older films would get lost in the shuffle, and with no offense intended here, Jason's list is heavily leaned to current movies. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Again, the only issue I see is that Jason's list is so the majority of people can look at what others are viewing in that given year. Looking at that thread, people go there to see "2005" released films. That place is mainly for those who are seeing dozens of films in 2005 and that's where they keep track. With the other list, we're keeping track of everything else so I don't see any connection between the two.

If someone goes into Jason's thread and sees various posts like mine then the thread somewhat loses its meaning. I think Jason said people should at least view 20 films from 2005 but people like myself aren't going to be viewing that many. Both Joe and I list dates and this gets rather big and would break away from the style Jason has going.

Robert, I'm not sure how clear this is by what we're saying or by looking at our actual lists but we could give it a month to fly. I'm sure those interested in either threads have read through this one but I will post "rules" or whatever here in a few minutes.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Right, Michael. What's important to me is that the title of this thread (which I'd like to change, or else start anew) makes it clear that this thread will welcome ALL decades and types of films. I don't want people to browse past the title and presume it's ONLY new films. At the same time, I'd like it to be identified as the "2005 Edition," so we can tell one year's listings from the next.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Here's the rules I copied from Jason's list. I guess these will be the same as this year.

2005 Movie List

STRONG suggestions if you plan to post a list here:
- ONLY POST A LIST HERE IF YOU PLAN TO SEE A GOOD SHARE OF 2004 FILMS. If you think your end of year film count will be less than 25, or you only plan to see the major "event" films and nothing else, there is no reason to post a film list on here.
- Keep your list regularily updated with film count and a mention of last update.
- Keep a known criteria for adding your films. It is recommened to only follow USA/Canada First Release or Worldwide First Release for these lists.

Track the Films You Watch (2005)

--This list is for keeping track of each film you watch throughout the year. Feature films and short films released from any year.
--Lists can have any format the poster wants but normally we keep the dates viewed, star rating as well as the year the film was released and if it was a first time view. Click HERE to view an example on posts 212 and 217.
--The first (or second) page are reserved so people can edit their lists as they view more films. After everyone has their reserve, feel free to discuss the films you're watching.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
EDITED TO ADD:

Michael Elliott and I have started abother thread on this brand new, so maybe Robert can delete this one or close it here, so we can concentrate anew over there. Please go to the new thread heading and reserve your spaces if you would like to keep a running tab of all the movies you see from all decades from any source throughout the New Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks