2005 reissue of Mr. Jones (1993) mislabeled?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by [email protected], Dec 16, 2005.

1. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

Bought a couple of $5 DVDs today, but I think one might be mislabeled.

Mr. Jones (1993, Richard Gere) was originally released in 2000 as a WS/FS DVD.

The packaging on the 2005 reissue claims to have dropped the FS version and retained the WS, but in most cases Sony did the opposite.

In short, I think the packaging may be incorrect and the disc may be FS-only.

I haven't opened it yet, because I don't want to have a problem taking the item back.

Anyone know anything about this release?

2. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Well, I bought the movie Buddy in the Walmart $5.50 bin that claimed it had both fullscreen and widescreen and opened it to find fullscreen only. I emailed Columbia about it and got no reply. Unfotunately, the only way to know for sure is to open it. However, I would think that you could take it back as defective since it says one thing on the package and is another thing inside the package.

I smell to recall that some of those Columbia titles did drop the fullscreen version instead of the widescreen, which I thought was odd since the opposite appears to be favored.

3. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

There seems to be some evidence that Sony has heard the wailing of film fans and stopped dumping WS versions.

While at the Walmart bin today, I spotted another Sony film (Can't Hardly Wait).

The old 1998 version and the new 2004 version were in the bin and the new version appears to be WS-only.

This bodes well for Mr. Jones and I now believe that Sony is retaining the WS version for reissue use.

It's about time.