2005 KING KONG dvd set in April 06

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Walker, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Just saw this story linked from kongisking.net with the guys making all the documentaries for Jackson's version of King Kong:
    "...And the ultra-deluxe "King Kong" 2005 two-disc DVD will go on sale in April."

As for the "making of" included in the 2005 King Kong DVD set, "...they've saved plenty of goodies for the "ultimate DVD," he says. "In the 'Kong' 2005 set diaries, we couldn't show the cool stuff. We were banking 70% of all the original material for the later story, yet to be seen."

Sounds like I'll practically be able to go from the movie theater to the electronics store. YEAH!

To read the full article, go here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051028/.../kingkong_dc_1

-Mark

2. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

Wow!!!

I wonder how soon before you can buy a DVD of the film you are seeing with your popcorn. [​IMG]

That is cool news though.

3. Steve Warren

Steve Warren Auditioning

Well, if Steven Soderberg has anything to say about it, it won't be that long. There are plans in place to release his next feature, Bubble, on DVD at the same time it hits theaters.

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

Sheesh. Why doesn't Jackson bypass theaters altogether and just go directly to home video? This isn't a movie, it's a glorified DVD...

5. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

So, will that mean a 4 Disk set in November?

6. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

We haven't even seen the movie yet to know if a 2-disc set is even worth buying. [​IMG]

7. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Piracy.

8. Mark Walker

Supporter

EXACTLY.

Lucas released EPIV-EPVI because the relentless availability of pirated copies on DVD.

Even EPI, with the long delay had tons of bootlegs.

You cannot create high-demand for a title and then not place the item on the market for "years" or others will meet the demands of the market and the studio will feel like they have lost revenue.

Lucas released Sith to theaters in mid/late May and the DVD is out the first day of November. That is not a full six months from theater to DVD. IF King Kong is coming out in April, that only shortens the window that Lucas has with Sith by about 30 days.

9. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

10. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

Tell me this movie looks bad. I dare you.

It's rubbish! (ducks to avoid flying brick!) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, I'll reserve judgement on KING KONG until I've seen the movie on a big screen. I hope Jackson proves me wrong, though I have to admit, I'm not really hopeful.

However, I'm definitely looking forward to the new DVD version of the '33 KONG, one of the most eagerly awaited discs ever! Even though the movie itself was photographed in (gag!) 4:3!!... [​IMG]

11. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Yeah, about King Kong... I will say that I was a bit surprised to hear it's coming out so soon on DVD. It makes it seem a little less special: rather than taking it in stride, we're going to have two massive campaigns scant months apart, which will feel to me more like a rush job to cram it down my throat. It's all about fear... fear of grossing less, fear of pirates, fear of enthusiasm waning. I dunno if this is Peter Jackson's idea or the advertising guys's, but I do think it's unfortunate.

However, it's not going to taint my experience in the theater knowing that the Uber-Deluxe Extended Edition is coming. I watched the new trailer yesterday and was actually genuinely enthusiastic about it - which is more than I can say for almost every other movie coming out at year's end. In fact, this is all I need to keep me going until The New World comes out, which should, among other things, satisfy our craving for a great widescreen picture. If I recall correctly, it's four-perf 65mm, which is what Lawrence of Arabia was filmed on. Those are two movies I'm exicted to see.

Kong and Malick... I'm done complaining. [​IMG]

12. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

Well, hopefully that's the end of that sad transgression.

The DVD release is only a bit earlier than I expected. 4-5 months is pretty typical now for most new releases. I expected an early-mid May DVD release. I'd guess this will come out later rather than earlier in April.

I also have a feeling that the Hollywood Reporter story might have misreported by saying

Sounds like we'll be getting a movie-only version in April, with a more deluxe version later in the year, hopefully in Hi-Def.

13. Mark Walker

Supporter

Kyle,

I hope your wrong. With the release of the production diaries in their own set, the alluded to 2 disc set alleged to be released in April, and the reported 3 hour running time of the film itself, I cannot imagine Jackson is going to have much to justify a double dip.

I love Jackson's work, even the early schlocky stuff that normally, as a genre, I tend to avoid. Having said that, at some point this starts to seem like too much product for a single film.

On the other hand, I can see how a three hour film spread over two discs, just so the DVD itself can support mulitple commentaries, DTS and so on, and then having a third disc just for special features makes sense. I just hope that Jackson's remake of his favorite film doesn't lead to an unjustifiable double dip, which, thus far, he has avoided. (i.e. I wouldn't change any of the LOTR sets and thought that the sets were the perfect way for a casual LOTR fan AND a die hard Jackson freak could get the amount of special features they wanted withOUT repeated bonus content.)

[​IMG]

Peace,

-mw

14. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Ok, so anyway, about the DVD, I know they have these production diaries coming out, does anybody have any thoughts about whether or not these will be included in the April set, or do we have to make 2 purchases?

EDIT: OOPS, shame on me for not reading the last post! [​IMG]

15. Mark Walker

Supporter

Adam,

We're all just speculating at this point. So, no worries.

[​IMG]

That interview with "The Hollywood Reporter" makes it sound like the April set is "uber-deluxe," but can they really make an mega special edition of a three hour film and have it only be two discs?

Kyle may be right.

Still, the production diaries themselves are too lenghty to be added as a special feature in the April set. And that Production Diaries set is supposed to be limited edition and numbered. If Jackson repeated that in another set, it would go against his past practice of not repeating bonus content.

But, this is Universal and not New Line this time.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread's discussion topic is the 2005 King Kong dvd planned for release in 2006. If you need to discuss any other issue, please, do so in the appropriate thread. Thank you.

Some of the prior posts have been moved to the Movies Area, so discussion of those subject matters can continue without misdirecting this discussion.

Crawdaddy

17. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Everyone seems to assume that because it appears in black and white, then it is written in stone. I'm surmising that a tentative date for April 2005 is pencilled in for Jackson's King Kong but if the film goes through the roof (as I suspect it will) I can see the DVD release being pushed back.

18. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

i don't know if this mean enaything, but a guy who worksfor a european divison of Universal mentioned that there would be one edition in April and then one in December. Considering that and the fact that Universal likes double dips without telling anyone

19. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Joe Letteri, the senior visual effects supervisor for King Kong says that they completed more than 300 CG shots that were all edited out of the final theatrical cut so expect to see a wealth of additional deleted scenes in future "deluxe" DVD editions.

Some of the scenes that were cut from the film:* Carl Denham directs and films Ann Darrow screaming on Skull Island's rocky shore after first arriving on the island.

* A rescue party from the ship are attacked by a Piranhadon like creature while they are traveling down the river from Kong's hideout in a makeshift raft. (This scene was included in the game version.)

* Ann Darrow sings "When You're Smiling" to Kong when first taken to his hideout in an attempt to calm the beast.

* Additional action sequences of Jack Driscoll fleeing from Kong through the streets of Manhattan.

* A long sequence where the military trap Kong and temporarily grab Ann Darrow away from him while distracted. (Needless to say, it doesn't end well for them when he finds out they took her from him!)

20. Patrick H.

Patrick H. Second Unit

Damn, it's already a long film...but that all sounds good! That first scene, BTW, was prominently featured in the film's original teaser. It just occurred to me today that it was missing from the final film. There's also a glimpse of the second scene as well.

Perhaps adding a bit more filler to the mid-section would actually give the film a boost...my largest issue with it is that it never gives you a chance to breathe once they get ashore on the island.