What's new

2005 Grammy Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I can't belive that there were no Grammy posts this morning.

All-righty them, I will start...

For me, the best performance was the Janis Joplin tribute with Joss Stone and Melissa Ethridge. It was shocking to see Melissa walk on stage completely bald, but given that the women is fighting cancer, that was the ballsiest performance on the show, bar none. And the band kicked ass as well, although the only player I recognized was Kenney Aranoff (sorry about the spelling) long time John Mellencamp drummer (among others).

I thought U2 was a bit flat, but that was probably because I was hoping for an up-tempo track like Vertigo or All Because of You.

Greenday? Well, as much as I like American Idiot, I have heard the title track enough times that I don't need to hear it again, and the performance was no big deal.

The Southern Rock tribute w/Skynyrd? Well, I am a big fan of the genre, but that whole segment sucked, IMHO. Unless my eyes deceive my, the only two original members of Skynyrd are Billy Powell and Gary Rossington? Come on guys, cash it in, its nothing but a tribute band.

And while it was great to see Dicky Betts and Elvin Bishop share a stage, the performance was pretty rough.

Last comment from me would be the All Star "Across the Universe" performance. I didn't know they were going to do that in advance, and I would say that Velvet Revolver was a pretty interesting choice for the back-up band, but all things considered, it went off OK.

And seeing Slash right next to Alison Kraus (complete with here fiddle) was priceless.

Those were the highlights for me....someone else can comment on the R&B and Rap stuff, although I will say that Usher did the best Michael Jackson impersonation I have ever seen (by that I mean dancing, not the other thing he is known for...).

OK....talk amongst yourselves......

BGL

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
C'mon, the Across The Universe performance was pretty bad! I think the singers couldn't hear themselves - Norah Jones couln't even find the key and Stevie Wonder starting humming to try and find his way. Brian Wilson was surprisingly strong.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I believe he won eight...

The show was OK...not much that I really cared about as far as nominees go, so little to generate any passion. I taped it and so far have seen through "Across the Universe" (over-hyped). Glad to see that Loretta Lynn won (and, so far, her's was the best acceptance speech!) I got goosebumps during the Janis Joplin tribute...both Melissa and Joss were excellent! The opening number was good, although Gwen Stefani's vocals sounded recorded...the volume level was quite different from any of the other performers.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, I was being charitable with the AtU performance, as these One-Off deals normally leave some to be desired.

But you really thought Brian Wilson's performance was "strong"? Geesh, I would hate to hear an "off" performance. We will have to agree to disagree on that one. Maybe I should download the iTunes track, and give it another listen; it is for a good cause.

I thought he was badly off key, and he really looked to be disoriented standing off to the side. Then again, he looked like that a few years ago during the Queen's Jubilee performance in London. You just get the impression that he is very uncomfortable in those situations.

And yes, Ray did 'clean-up", with Album of the Year, IIRC, among a few others.

BGL

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I thought this was maybe the worst Grammy's show I've seen. There were WAY too many tributes, and enough lifetime achievement awards handed out to make you forget just how important this award SHOULD be. Most of the performances were pretty bad, though I did like the Joplin tribute. The opening 10-15 minute number was a bit pathetic, with basiclaly Black Eyed Peas working in the phrase "let's get it started" wherever they deemed appropriate. I am happy that Spanish Harlem Orchestra won for the best salsa/merengue album (one of those 50 or so awards that got 3 seconds of airtime in a quick image on the bottom of the screen). Kinda happy maroon5 won, not so happy Los Lonely Boys did, very very thrilled about Ben Harper's win, as well as for Toots & The Maytails taking best raggae album.

Phil_L

Second Unit

BINGO, they were great. Melissa is just cool, end of story.

The rest of the show was weak. Blah performances and uninteresting nominees.

I am so sick of the Rap/R&B worship. C-mon celebs, it doesn't make you cool or rebellious anymore, it just makes you conformist!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought it was the best Grammy's since it went to the format of having mostly performances.

~T

cwhite

Second Unit
The Grammys has way too many catagories. I understand the awards must evolve with the music but "traditional pop", "traditional rock"? What does that mean? And the captions for the awards given before the broadcast went by too quickly and, at times, were difficult to read.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
What was up with JLo and Marc Anthony? It played like a really bad scene from a cheesy TeleLatino soap.

AricB

Second Unit
all i know is it looked and sounded pretty good in High Definition... and I'm surprised ray charles won for best surround sound, from what i had read it wasnt that great? I figured maybe flaming lips, or porcupine tree would have had a better shot? not sure what else is released in the last year, or what the criteria was?

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

That's the point in the show when I turned to the Latin Grammy's in hopes of finding some artists singing in English...

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: For giving best rock album to Green Day

:thumbsdown: For not giving more honors to Green Day

:thumbsdown: For giving U2 so many awards for Vertigo, a song that isn't that great.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: For FINALLY honoring Lemmy and Motorhead with best metal performance award.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: One for each time they didn't give the Beastie Boys an award.

:emoji_thumbsup: For giving best hard rock song to Velvet Revolver

:emoji_thumbsup: For honoring Ray Charles with 8 awards

:emoji_thumbsup: For having Franz Ferdinand play at the show

:thumbsdown: For not giving them anything

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I haven't paid any attention to the Grammys since the Milli Vanilli fiasco. And remember that Toto has won more Grammys than the Beatles!

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The High-def picture and surround sound were fantastic, only a couple break-ups in the picture that I can remember. The U2 performance was crystal clear, the solid white background helped the overall lighting and eliminated any artifacts. On the otherhand, the flashing on a couple of the performances towards the end completely messed up the high-def encoding.

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
The only reason I watched was to see Los Lonely Boys play and if they won.:D

LLB are together with Carlos Santana
Wed 06/15/05 New York, NY Madison Square Garden

I wish I could go. :angry:

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I don't understand the concept of pairing all these musicians for performances.

Is it done because people like it? Or because so many of the popular musicians today are weak talent wise and unable to command the stage solo?

Maybe it's neither of these things, but I much prefer seeing one complete song performed by the artist who created the song. The exception to that might be the pairing of musicians that actually have something in common musically or where it would be particularly unique..Pearl Jam and Neil Young on the MTV awards years ago for example.

Melissa Etheredge was awesome...but who needs Joss Stone? Melissa can belt out a Joplin tune..I'm not sure Joss Stone even grasps the reason why Joplin was honored.

My biggest thumbs down goes to the singer in Kanye West's performance...I don't know who she was, but her voice was horrible.

Green Day should have won more...

And Led Zeppelin, in true Grammy form, was honored but not featured. How on earth can you give Led Zeppelin a lifetime achivement award that way?

All in all, typical Grammy show.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

That really surprised me too. I would have really liked to have seen Flaming Lips as well. Great CD, even better surround sound mix.

Quick thoughts...

Joss and Melissa sounded great, but I felt that Joss tried too hard to be melodic in a few spots instead of giving the song the kick ass vocals it needed.

J-Lo and Marc Anthony...does anybody want to hear a duet from them...in Spanish???

The Southern Rock thing blew. The lead vocals (whomever it was) sounded horrible and I didn't think Gretchen Wilson helped at all. Dickey Betts played some good guitar though.

I thought U2 sounded pretty good and was happy that the song they played wasn't "Vertigo." BTW, this part looked awesome in HD!

Although I've heard the song a lot, I thought Green Day did an excellent job live.

When I first heard Loretta Lynn's album, I told my wife that it would win a Grammy, so I guess I was right! Great CD and funny acceptance speech. Jack White seemed very humble and didn't appear to be comfortable sharing the spotlight.

"Across The Universe" was absolutely abyssmal. It seemed like it was thrown together. Norah not being able to sing in key was particularly uncomfortable.

While I don't particularly like the guy or his music, one thing can be said about Usher...he can dance his ass off! Definitely the second coming of the "Off The Wall/Thriller" era Michael Jackson.

Franz Ferdinand sounded very tight and together live.

Definitely glad Maroon 5 won. Those guys can play their asses off and deserved to win something.

While it's really not saying much based on recent years, I think that this was one of the best Grammys I've seen in a while. If nothing else, the energy level seemed really high.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I love Ray Charles, but there is no way he would have won eight grammys (or even four) if he were still alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks