What's new

2005 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Cry_Wolf" trailer reminded me too much of "swimfan." Aren't they both murders plotted through the Internet?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Swimfan was more of a "Fatal Attraction for kids" flick. Cry_Wolf is at least attempting to be an actual horror movie. That being said, the PG-13 rating kinda makes me want to stay home.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I saw Cry_Wolf on Friday. Its not the type of film you'd expect, and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Venom doesn't look too good to me, but my friend wants to see it, so we'll probably go sometime this week.

By the way, doesn't Cronenberg's new film, A History of Violence, open in limited release next Friday? I'm dying to see that. Cronenberg can do no wrong. I just hope it opens near here.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
As requested:

FLIGHTPLAN 8.5
CORPSE BRIDE, THE 6.6
JUST LIKE HEAVEN 3.2
EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE, THE 2.4
ROLL BOUNCE 2.3
LORD OF WAR 1.5
40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN, THE 1.3
CRY WOLF .7
CONSTANT GARDENER, THE .6
TRANSPORTER 2 .6

Link Removed

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
What Brian said. ;)

"Flightplan" should end up with the fourth biggest opening for the month of September. 'Corpse Bride' should end up with the seventh or eighth biggest debut for the month.

The two films will account for more than $40 million worth of business this weekend. If memory serves, this will be only the second time ever that the month of September has seen two films earn over $20 million in the same weekend.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks Brian and Terry. :D

I was at a matinee of "Corpse Bride" in the largest auditorium that was nearly empty, so I was curious how it was playing nationwide.

(And Terry, I wasn't so much referring to you as to the Mojo and the Guru, both of which seem to have taken the weekend off.)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Expect both Guru and Mojo to be more consistant as we move into October. September is usually among the slowest frames of the year and there really isn't much going on as the summer flicks are all ending their runs in theaters.

As for this week, I'm also interested in seeing how well 'Corpse Bride' performs for the remainder of the weekend. Most animated films do their best business on Saturday and Sundays. While "Flightplan" will probably still end the weekend at #1, don't be surprised if it ends up being a tight race.

I keep hearing that 'Corpse Bride' is a good flick and I'm going to try to see it tomorrow. What did you think of it Malcolm?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I enjoyed it, but thought it ended very suddenly. I would have liked to see another 5 minutes or so to wrap up the story.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Weekend Estimates

#1 "Flightplan" $24.6 million
#2 "Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride" $20.1 million ($20.6 million) +5,086%
#3 "Just Like Heaven" $9.8 million ($29.9 million) -40%
#4 "Roll Bounce" $8.0 million
#5 "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" $7.5 million ($62.3 million) -49%
#6 "Lord of War" $4.9 million ($17.2 million) -47%
#7 "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" $4.2 million ($96.9 million) -28%
#8 "The Constant Gardener" $2.2 million ($27.5 million) -38%
#9 "Transporter 2" $2.15 million ($39.8 million) -46%
#10 "Cry Wolf" $2.10 million ($7.3 million)

Disney took the top spot this weekend with the thriller "Flightplan". The film took in $24.6 million, earning a solid $7,198 per-theater average. "Flightplan" also established the fourth best September opening ever (behind "Sweet Home Alabama", "Rush Hour", and "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"), as well as giving star Jodie Foster the second best opening weekend mark of her career behind her 2002 hit "Panic Room" (a $30.0 million debut on its way to a $96.3 million haul).

"Flightplan" is expected to be a solid performer during the coming weeks, giving the two-time Oscar winning actress her fifth hit out of her last eight films.

WB's 'Corpse Bride' went wide this weekend and earned the 12th best opening ever for the month of September. The film earned a solid $6,282 per-theater average and should so sturdy legs over the coming weeks, giving director Tim Burton and star Johnny Depp another hit to add to both of their impressive resumes.

Last week's top flick, "Just Like Heaven", fell to the third slot this weekend as it took a moderate 40% dip in business. The romantic/comedy has so far tallied just under $30 million and is on course for a final haul in the area of $60-$65 million.

Fox Searchlight's comedy "Roll Bounce" got off to a good start this weekend as it pulled in $8 million from a modest 1,625 locations, giving the film a per-theater average $4,923 (the third best of the top ten behind "Flightplan" and 'Corpse Bride').

"The Exorcism of Emily Rose" took a 49% hit this weekend and has so far tallied $62.3 million. The film should top out in the neighborhood of $80-%85 million, making it a rare big hit for Sony this year.

Lions Gate's "Lord of War" was off by 47% this weekend and has earned only $17.2 million thus far. This one should find its way to about $35 million.

"The 40-Year-Old Virgin" should pass the century mark next weekend. "The Constant Gardener" is nearing the $30 million mark. "Transporter 2" is days away from passing the $40 million mark. "Cry Wolf" took a steep 52% hit this weekend and will be lucky to have a final tally of more than $12 million.

In limited release, David Cronenberg's "A History of Violence" earned $504K from 14 locations, giving it a $36K per-theater average. The film goes wide next weekend.

This weekend marked the first time that two films have earned more than $20 million at the same time during the month of September. This also marks the fourth consecutive week that 2005's earnings have eclipsed those of last year (up a monstrous 51%).

Next weekend will see Disney's "The Greatest Game Ever Played", MGM's "Into the Blue", and Universal's "Serenity" all hit theaters.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
3.9 million box office take for Serenity on Friday

That is extremely disappointing...You'd think with all the fuss and commotion over firefly and the dvds that the take would've been closer to 10 mill on friday.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow, that's low. I didn't get the chance to see it because I was busy at work, but hopefully tomorrow.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Weekend Estimates

#1 "Flightplan" $15.0 million ($46.1 million) -38%
#2 "Serenity" $10.1 million
#3 "Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride" $9.7 million ($32.9 million) -49%
#4 "A History of Violence" $8.2 million ($8.9 million) +1,489%
#5 "Into the Blue" $7.0 million
#6 "Just Like Heaven" $6.1 million ($38.3 million) -36%
#7 "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" $4.4 million ($68.5 million) -41%
#8 "Roll Bounce" $4.0 million ($12.6 million) -46%
#9 "The Greatest Game Ever Played" $3.7 million
#10 "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" $3.1 million ($101.3 million) -27%

Disney's "Flightplan" repeated as the nation's top earning film as the overall top ten saw a steep 27% slide compared to this time last year when "Shark Tale" debuted at #1 (it opened with $47.6 million on its way to a final tally of $160.8 million). "Flightplan" has so far earned just over $46 million and should find its way to a final mark in the neighborhood of $75-$80 million.

Universal's sci-fi adventure, "Serenity", got off to a decent, but not spectacular, start this weekend. The near $40 million budgeted film took in just over $10 million and isn't expected to show the strongest legs during the coming weeks despite its strong reviews. Like the television show its based on ("Firefly"), the film had a tough time finding an audience. I think the movie will probably do stronger business once it reaches home video.

WB's 'Corpse Bride' took a 49% hit in business this week and has so far tallied close to $33 million. The film is currently on course for a final mark of about $60 million. Expect this one to do very strong business once it hits DVD.

The real story this weekend was the surprisingly potent performance of New Line's "A History of Violence". The film from director David Cronenberg expanded to 1,340 locations this week (it was playing in only 14 theaters last weekend), giving it a solid $6,119 per-theater average (which was the best of the top ten).

With solid WOM, 'Violence' should do very well in the coming weeks as New Line hopes the film will eventually snag some major Oscar consideration. I thought the film is excellent and I really hope it does well over the course of its run. In terms of Oscar, I think Maria Bello (for Best Actress) and William Hurt (for Best Supporting Actor) have the best chances at garnering nominations.

Sony's down year continues as their underwater adventure "Into the Blue" barely registered with moviegoers. The film opened with $7 million, giving it a meager $2,509 per-theater average.

DreamWorks' "Just Like Heaven" was off a moderate 36% and has so far earned more than $38 million. Sony's "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" will pass the $70 million mark next weekend. Fox Searchlight's "Roll Bounce" was off by 46% and has taken in $12.6 million thus far. A final mark of about $20 million is now expected.

Disney's "The Greatest Game Ever Played" will probably see better luck on home video. It only tallied $3.7 million this weekend, giving it a per-theater average of only $3,697. Universal's "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" became the 13th film of the year to pass the $100 million plateau. Congrats to Universal and everyone else involved with the film, including star Steve Carell.

Next weekend will see the wide releases of Fox's Oscar hopeful "In Her Shoes", Universal's drama "Two for the Money", Lions Gate's comedy "Waiting", and DreamWorks' claymation flick "Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit".

Expect 'Wallace and Gromit' to end the two-week reign at #1 by "Flightplan" as the box office looks to rebound from this weekend's lackluster performance.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That's quite a disappointing take for Serenity, considering all the hype and misleading ads. You know, the ones that list all the major publications like Time, EW, New York Times that have written about it, not actually reviewed it. I have never heard ads touting articles about a film.

If that were the case. practically every film could make the same claim. Very strange.

I guess the fanboy base are the only ones that turned out. I still may see it since the actual reviews are good.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
If there's anything to be learned, it is that the fanbase and popularity of firefly is incredibly overrated.

Universal would've been better served airing this on Fox, with a lower budget. I really wonder if the domestic take is even going to hit $30 mill.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Doubtful. I would say considering all the hype it's gotta be viewed as a flop.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That would definitely be a shame, as "Serenity" is probably the best action-adventure film of the year (and you don't need to have watched "Firefly" to appreciate it).

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see A History of Violence did so well in the amount of theaters it was in. I would've been ecstatic had it somehow made it into the top spot though. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks