What's new

2005 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

And hasn't he said that about all the PT movies? I at least remember hearing him say it about AOTC. I personally think that it will make at least 300, which will put it in league with AOTC. The fact that it's the last Star Wars flick, features Vader, and is dark is a good thing for Star Wars. I think many people have had negative opinions of the PT because the movies have been more aimed toward children at this point. If ROTS is marketed as being dark and more adult-themed, I don't think it will have a problem at the BO.

...but what do I know. I said that there was no way Spidey 1 would make over $250 mill :D

CoreyII

Second Unit
As far as Summer 2005, from what I can tell so far the competition will most likely come down between to bad asses drapped in black capes, Anakin Skywalker and Bruce Wayne.

Im in accordance with Matt Stone, I think Episode III is going to do better than what most people expect. Afterall it is the last film of the series(supposedly) and it is the one that everyone has been waiting for. Futhermore "Revenge of the Sith" will not only get a big promotional boost from the upcoming DVD boxset of the original trilogy but also from the next set of "Clone War" cartoons that will debut before the films release.

Now whether Revenge of the Sith is a well made movie is another matter, I think "Batman Begins" with Christopher Nolan at the helm will more than likely be the better directed film but "Sith" will make more money simply because Star Wars has and always will have a built in audience no matter how bad the film is.

Batman's success is really going depend on the strength of the upcoming trailers and how well it can convey to the audience that this new Batman means bussiness and is nothing like the Batmen of the past four films.

The new Batman film is going to have to gain the public's trust which beyond its theatrical run will do so even more once it hits the DVD market. Once its on DVD and more people watch it and hopefully like it, the positive response will almost guarantee that the sequel will be a smash hit.

Jackson's King Kong is a too early to tell situation. As far as it making more money than Universal's Jurrassic Park is really hard to tell. Some of the reasons Jurrassic was successful was because: 1.) it was based on a successful book, 2.) it had Speilberg's name attached to it, 3.) the speical effects were revolutionary at the time and 4.) kids love dinosaurs as opposed to primates. Plus the last few films that have involved agressive primates: Mighty Joe Young and Congo didn't do very well at the box office. But Jackson is the hottest director out there right now and if anyone can pull off King Kong its him.

I expect War of the Worlds to be big. With Cruise and Spielberg on board I expect ID-4 with the intelligence put back in it.

Uh, no it didn't. The first Batman was a hit because it was new and outside of the comic book community no one had heard from Batman since the 1960's television series. If you want to throw in the Superfriends you can but as far as Im concerned Superman was always really the star of the Superfriends, every one else were just co-stars.

Burton's Batman was also a hit because Warner Bros. marketed the hell out of the film. Batman was pre-sold before it even hit the theaters. Most people who had never read a Batman comic found the film to be too dark and boring with not enough Batman and too much Joker.

Predictions so far:

Star Wars: Episode III - at least 300 million

Batman Begins - somewhere around 200 million, give or take

King Kong - ?

War of the Worlds - somewhere around 200 million possibly more.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

A lot of people said the same thing about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban compared to Chamber of Secrets...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm excited about many of those, chiefly Batman Begins.

I expect RotS to clear $300M. More action and Vader = better box office. It will still be PG, but it'll feel PG-13. That makes a difference.

I expect BB to be between $200 and $300 M - thoughts of Spidey numbers are a little premature. Bats is heavier, and that's that. There isn't a strong romance angle with Batman, and while women love Bale, that's only the ones who know him (not many).

KK will dominate the Christmas break.

Narnia will make a LOT of money. There are a LOT of Narnia fans out there...A WHOLE LOT, and they will see this movie.

Still...much to be excited about.

I didn't even talk about POTC2 (I expect the sequel to do very well) or Cars. I do think WotW won't make 2005.

Take care,
Chuck

FredK

Second Unit
I can't wait for next year, ROTS will be the first "event" movie since ROTK for me and that's too long to wait. I do think it will just clear $300m (there's too many ties to the OT not to drag people in for a new look).

I'm really looking forward to seeing BB, especially after catching lots of live filming (highrise apartment 1/4 mile from filming site in NW loop), but I think hoping for any movie to break $400m is a bad move by studios...

I think this year alone proves that it can't be predicted who will get get near or break $400m, and we've had 2 movies in the category. It's not an annual thing, and it'll be interesting to not which movies do $250+, but can any of them do $375+ next year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I had no idea Ghost Soldiers (The Great Raid) was alredy filmed. Last I heard Spielberg and Cruise were attached to direct and star.

The website says coming to theaters in 2004. Anyone else have more info?

I agee with Mark. This film, if done right, has the potential to be as compelling as SPR. The book was fantastic!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
True, but I don't see The Producers as an Oscar hopeful - maybe a couple of actor nominations, maybe an adapted screenplay to go with the original's award, and some of the other awards, costumes, songs, etc.

But despite Chicago, I think The Producers will not be in the running for the big awards, Director, Picture, etc. Can you actually see Best Picture going to a film in which a geriatric nymphomanic proposes playing a sex game called "The Distracted Tourist and the Ever-Watchful Orangutan"?

Ah, bestial rape fantasies. The classic subject of every Best Picture winner.

(Very excited - I fly to Australia on Friday to see the Melbourne production of The Producers. Can't wait. I've been looking forward to seeing it since I first read about the show in 2001.)

EDIT: Curses, the line about the tourist and orangutan was not in the show. They had another much less offensive (read: funny) line in the show. Nevertheless, the show itself was great and well worth seeing. I look forwared to the film with much eagerness.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the Ashton Kutcher/Bernie Mac remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?, Cameron Diaz and Jim Carrey in Fun with Dick and Jane, Michael Keaton and Lindsay Lohan in Herbie: Fully Loaded, Elisha Cuthbert and Paris Hilton in House of Breasts Wax, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda in Monster-in-Law, Steve Martin and Kevin Kline in that Pink Panther remake, Rob Cohen's Stealth (starring Josh Lucas, Jessica Biel and Jamie Foxx), XXX: State of the Union with Ice Cube instead of Vin Diesel.

And of course...the remake of The Longest Yard, which promises to contain the following people:

Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Gary Oldman, Burt Reynolds, William Fichtner, Nicholas Turturro, James Cromwell, Cloris Leachman, Brian Bosworth, Tracy Morgan, Terry Crews, Bill Goldberg, Michael Irvin, David Patrick Kelly, Bill Romanowski and Kevin Nash.

Ha!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I will be seeing this show myself in a couple of weeks. And I haven't the faintest clue what it's about :D

--
H

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Really? You have no idea? Are you serious? You're in for a treat. The original film is one of my favourite comedies, and one of my most-watched DVDs. Having heard the CD and read the reviews, the show is every bit the equal of the original. I'm anticipating a great show.

And it will be even better if you don't know what's coming.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Well, the original movie had dinosaurs in it. Has there been any report as to whether Jackson is keeping the dinosaurs in the movie? Monkey vs. Lizard is a much more appealing clash than Alien vs. Predator, or Freddy vs. Jason :)

Looking at that list, it looks like I'm going to be having a lot more fun in the fall/winter than the summer. Which isn't unusual, I guess, but it seems like the gulf is getting wider, with fewer and fewer summer movies that I'm genuinely eager to see because it seems like anything that has even a whiff of quality is shifted into the Oscar season. But I'll definitely be seeing Kingdom of Heaven and Batman, and probably ROTS if only to satisfy curiousity. Also Serenity, if we count April releases.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
CURRENT 2005 RELEASE SCHEDULE
(all dates are subject to change)

JANUARY
7th
"White Noise" (Universal)

14th
"Coach Carter" (Paramount)
"Elektra" (Fox)
"Racing Stripes" (MGM)

19th
"Assault on Precinct 13" (Focus Features)

21st
"Are We There Yet?" (Sony)

28th
"Alone in the Dark" (Lions Gate)
"Hide and Seek" (Fox)

FEBRUARY
4th
"Boogeyman" (Sony)
"The Wedding Date" (Universal)

11th
"Bride and Prejudice" (Miramax)
"Hitch" (Sony)
"Pooh's Huffalump Movie" (Disney)

18th
"Because of Winn-Dixie" (MGM)
"Constantine" (WB)
"The Son of the Mask" (New Line)

25th
"Cursed" (Miramax)
"Diary of a Mad Black Woman" (Lions Gate)
"King's Ransom" (Disney)
"Man of the House" (Sony)

MARCH
4th
"Be Cool" (MGM)
"The Jacket" (WB)
"The Pacifier" (Sony)

11th
"The Honeymooners" (Paramount)
"Hostage" (Miramax)
"Robots" (Fox)
"A Sound of Thunder" (WB)
"The Upside of Anger" (New Line)

18th
"Ice Princess" (Disney)
"Kung Fu Hustle" (Sony)
"Melinda and Melinda" (Fox)
"The Ring 2" (DreamWorks)
"Steamboy" (Sony)

25th
"D.E.B.S." (Sony/Screen Gems)
"Guess Who" (Sony)
"Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous" (WB)
"Nanny McPhee" (Universal)
"Sahara" (Paramount)

30th
"Beauty Shop" (MGM)

APRIL
1st
"Sin City" (Miramax)
"The Weather Man" (Paramount)

8th
"The Cave" (Sony)
"Eros" (WB)
"In Her Shoes" (Fox)
"Unleashed" (Focus Features)

15th
"The Amityville Horror" (MGM/Miramax)
"Rebound" (Fox)
"Rumor Has It" (WB)
"Valiant" (Disney)

22nd
"A Lot Like Love" (Disney)
"The Interpreter" (Universal)

29th
"3-Iron" (Sony)
"Crash" (Lions Gate)
"House of Wax" (WB)
"XXX: State of the Union" (Sony)

MAY
6th
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" (Disney)
"Kingdom of Heaven" (Fox)
"Monster-in-Law" (New Line)

13th
"Kicking and Screaming" (Universal)
"Mindhunters" (Miramax)

19th
"Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith" (Lucasfilm/Fox)

27th
"The Longest Yard" (Sony/Paramount)
"Madagascar" (DreamWorks)

JUNE
3rd
"Cinderella Man" (Universal/Miramax)
"High Tension" (Lions Gate)
"The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" (WB)

10th
"The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl" (Miramax)
"Lords of Dogtown" (Sony)
"Mr. and Mrs. Smith" (Fox)

17th
"Batman Begins" (WB)

24th
"Fun with Dick & Jane" (Sony)
"Herbie: Fully Loaded" (Disney)

29th
"War of the Worlds" (DreamWorks/Paramount)

JULY
1st
"Fantastic Four" (Fox)

8th
"Bewitched" (Sony)
"The Skeleton Key" (Universal)

15th
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (WB)
"Into the Blue" (MGM)

22nd
"The Island" (DreamWorks)
"The Wedding Crashers" (New Line)

29th
"Dukes of Hazzard" (WB)
"Elizabethtown" (Paramount)
"Sky High" (Disney)
"Stealth" (Sony)

AUGUST
5th
"Doom" (Universal)
"Dreamer" (DreamWorks)
"Must Love Dogs" (WB)
Untitled Mike Judge Film (Fox)

12th
"Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" (Sony)
"The Devil's Rejects" (Lions Gate)
"Everything is Illuminated" (New Line)
"The Perfect Man" (Universal)

19th
"The 40 Year-Old Virgin" (Universal)
"Dark Water" (Disney)
"Zu Warriors" (Miramax)

26th

SEPTEMBER
2nd
"Ritual" (Miramax)
"The Woods" (MGM)

9th
"Exorcism of Emily Rose" (Sony)

16th
"Alien Love Triangle" (Miramax)
"Roll Bounce" (Fox Searchlight)
"A Scanner Darkly" (WB)

23rd
"The Corpse Bride" (WB)
"The Pink Panther" (MGM)

30th
"Oliver Twist" (Sony)
"Serenity" (Universal)

OCTOBER
7th
"Fever Pitch" (Fox)
"Waiting" (Lions Gate)
"Wallace & Gromit: The Movie" (DreamWorks)

14th
"The Fog" (Sony)

21st
"Land of the Dead" (Universal)

28th
"Saw 2" (Lions Gate)

NOVEMBER
4th
"Chicken Little" (Disney)
"The Ice Harvest" (Focus Features)
"The Legend of Zorro" (Sony)

9th
"The New World" (New Line)

11th
"Jarhead" (Universal)
"Rent" (Sony)

18th
"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (WB)
"Walk the Line" (Fox)

23rd

"The Brothers Grimm" (Miramax)
"Zarutha" (Sony)

25th
N/A

DECEMBER
2nd
"The Great Raid" (Miramax)

9th
"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (Disney)
"Underworld: Evolution" (Sony)

14th
"King Kong" (Universal)

21st
"The Producers" (Universal/Sony)
"Zathura" (Sony)

23rd
"Memoirs of a Geisha" (DreamWorks)

2005 titles that have yet to secure release dates...
"Aeon Flux" (Paramount)
"All the King's Men" (Sony)
"Alpha Dog" (New Line)
"American Gun" (IFC)
"An Unfinished Life" (Miramax)
"Annapolis" (Disney)
"Art School Confidential" (MGM)
"Ask the Dust" (Paramount)
"Asylum" (Paramount)
"The Barnyard" (Paramount)
"Beautiful Country" (Sony)
"BloodRayne" (not yet acquired a U.S. distributor)
"The Bridge of San Luis Rey" (???)
"Brokeback Mountain" (Focus Features)
"Click" (Sony)
"Creep" (???)
"The Constant Gardener" (Focus Features)
"Domino" (New Line)
"Drunken Jackasses: The Quest" (Universal)
"Duma" (WB)
"Fierce People" (Lions Gate)
"Five Children and It" (Capital Films)
"Flight Plan" (Disney)
"The Fountain" (WB)
"Glory Road" (Disney)
"Goodnight, and Good Luck" (WB)
"The Greatest Game Ever Played" (Disney)
"Grilled" (New Line)
"The Grudge 2" (Sony)
"Heights" (Sony)
"A History of Violence" (New Line)
"House of D" (Lions Gate)
"Howl's Moving Castle" (Disney)
"In the Pink" (Sony)
"The Informant" (???)
"The Italian Job 2" (Paramount)
"Just Friends" (New Line)
"Last Holiday" (Paramount)
"Locked and Loaded" (Paramount)
"Mad Money" (MGM)
"The Magic Roundabout" (Miramax)
"The Man" (New Line)
"Marie-Antoinette" (Sony)
"MirrorMask" (Sony)
"Mr. Ripley's Return" (Lions Gate)
"The Passion of the Clerks" AKA "Clerks II" (Miramax)
"Pride and Prejudice" (Universal)
"The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" (DreamWorks)
"Red-Eye" (DreamWorks)
"The Ringer" (Fox Searchlight)
"River Queen" (not yet acquired a U.S. distributor)
"Romance and Cigarettes" (MGM)
"Shopgirl" (Disney)
"Spaceballs 2" (MGM)
"Superhero!" (Miramax)
"Syriana" (WB)
"Ultraviolet" (Sony)
"Undead" (Lions Gate)
"Underclassman" (Miramax)
"The Water Warriors" (not yet acquired a U.S. distributor)
"Winter Passing" (Focus Features)
"Zoom's Academy" (Sony)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
John Dahl's "The Great Raid" and the Spielberg version were announced at about the same time. Apparently Spielberg abandoned it since we haven't heard anything about it since and he has already announced some new projects. I believe both films would have been based on the same source material and at one point Dahl's film was in fact called Ghost Soldiers. Production of The Great Raid began in Summer 2002.

Due to all the title changes and release dates it has been difficult to follow, but from what I can gather The Great Raid will be released in February 2005 at the earliest or possibly even November or December (which would be two years after it was originally intended to be released). Supposedly it will have an R rating.

According to what I've read from people who have already seen the film, the war scenes were well done, but a love story element detracts from the overall film (possibly in the realm of Pearl Harbor).

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
JP4 won't likely hit theaters until the summer of 2006. The movie was originally supposed to have begun filming this summer, but script revisions (as well as the fact that Spielberg and co. have yet to find a director) have slowed pre-production.

On top of that, Universal already has a "dino pic" coming out next year with "King Kong" (which will feature many more dinos than the original 1933 version). If all goes well with the latest draft of the script and a director is hired within the next four to five months, expect filming on JP4 to begin either next spring or sometime during the summer.

Universal is basically pinning most of their "mega-blockbuster" hopes on 'Kong' for 2005, but they should have a nice one-two punch in the summer of 2006 with JP4 and "The Bourne Ultimatum".

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Ok.. thanks.:D
Alrighty then.. any word on what happened to rush hour 3? I thought that was actually supposed to come out this year.

Kal Istoga

Auditioning
Fabulous thread...thanks for presenting this great list. :emoji_thumbsup:

I look forward to a huge number of these movies...hope they don't dissapoint.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Hey Andy to answer your question, I met a gentleman at the San Diego Comic-Con who had just come back from the King Kong Set in New Zealand and he stated that the fight between Kong and the Tyranasaurus Rex is awsome.

Take my information for whatever you think it is worth but the gentleman is a reliable source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks