What's new

2005-06 MLB Hot Stove Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
NL Gold Glove Winners.

P Greg Maddux (15)
C Mike Matheny (4)
1B Derrek Lee (2)
2B Luis Castillo (3)
SS Omar Vizquel (10)
3B Mike Lowell (1)
OF Andruw Jones (8)
OF Jim Edmonds (8)
OF Bobby Abreu (1)

The number after the player's name is the number of times the player has won the award.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller

Actually, according to Home Plate on XMRadio, they say he makes close to $7-8 million a year after endorsements. The big money in Japan comes down to endorsements, and being the first foreign born manager to win the Japan Series will be worth big bucks.

BTW, someone please let me reopen the Why I Hate ARod Thread. :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...age=brain/arod

Now, let me clarify, I don't think what he's doing is a big deal -- I think we've all bet on card games in an "illegal" atmosphere, but it's hilarious that the Yankees have allegedly talked to him about it.

Doug

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It's looking like the Cubs are prepping to make a run at Rafael Furcal. That would be a nice addition to the team, and fix the lead-off problem, especially if Nomar wants to re-sign and play OF.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'll take it a step farther, Evan. As a Red Sox fan, I respect Jeter as a player...AND I used to hold him up to my 15-year old son (a Yankee fan) as an outstanding role model all the way around. His autobiography (The Life You Imagine) was wonderful...full of good lessons for today's youth. But, I agree that his ego has over-developed (maybe it's expecting too much that it shouldn't in his situation). I don't think your words "pompous ass" are too strong. But he is not nearly as appealing a ball player as he was when he was younger.

All that said, I'd love to have him on the Red Sox. ;)

A-Rod: I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot-pole. That link posted by Doug Miller is hysterical. Short and to the point! :D I think its quite telling that the "best" and highest-paid player in baseball cannot make it to the World Series. The Yankees would be smart to dump him...if they could find a taker. Remember, every team he's left has gotten better. Hope they hold on to him for a VERY loooooong time! ;)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Matt Lawton busted for Steroids. Add him to the list.

And the Dodgers want to talk to John Hart of the Rangers. I have mixed feelings about him but he has built a nice team in Texas.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I would like the Red Sox fans to explain to me how Jeter has displayed on the field of play or with the media that his ego is over-developed or that he is a "pompous ass"?

Crawdaddy

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know as I necessarily think he's pompous - I mean, that would imply he has a personality of any kind, as opposed to being just about the blandest celebrity ever. And it certainly doesn't help that Fox seems to keep one camera trained on him constantly while Tim McCarver constantly fellates him. His obnoxious image is obviously not entirely of his own making (although I admit that every time I see him pump his fist, I want to cram it up his rectum).

Still, it boggles my mind that people love him and disdain Alex Rodriguez: Derek Jeter is A-Rod with less range, less power, and a better press agent. He leans over the plate and then exaggeratedly jacknifes away when when someone dares to throw inside. I remember one time a few years back when he praised Mariano Rivera (I think) for "having his back" after he got plunked, even though the other hitter got plunked in the head. He made comments after one World Series about how it felt like the other team had something of theirs, like the trophy was the Yankees' right or something.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jack: As I said, I had the utmost of respect for Jeter a few years back. And I still respect his abilities and his constant effort on the field. But, ever since the Yankees' streak came to end with the '00 WS, his fist pumps and demeanor in interviews have begun to reflect the Yankee arrogance which he eschewed in his younger years. His was a yeoman's demeanor on the ballfield: work hard, play hard, give your all to win, but keep your head down with humility.

Jason's got his finger right on this point. As Red Sox fans we are admittedly hyper-sensitive to the psyche of the Evil Empire (team and fans), but from our perspective the Yankees breathe this arrogance (which some might classify their will-to-win) that the spoils of baseball are theirs before the season begins. While I cannot point you to any direct quotes from Jeter, he has definitely grown from the soft-spoken rookie of '96 into a team leader with as big a chip on his shoulder as most any Yankee has ever had.

I'm a Sox fan from upstate New York. My cable company doesn't carry NESN. It carries the YES network. I can watch all 162 Yankee games any season. I can only see the Sox play when they're playing the Yankees or Mets or featured on ESPN or FOX. So, I see a LOT of the Yankees in order to get my baseball "fix". This is why my son is a Yankees fan. I probably know more about the personalities of their players than I do of those on my own team. Even the great Joe Torre, who's managerial style and success is probably the best I'll ever see in my lifetime, will occasionally fall into the trap of whining about the hardships his team has had to endure rather than acknowledge that there are other talented players/coaches/teams who can rise to the occasion of victory.

As recently as four years ago I would have defended Derek Jeter as not-only a great player...but as one of the most upstanding people in the game. If asked today, I'll tell you he's a great player. His head's not down anymore.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Jason and Mike hit the nail on the head with respects to Jeter. It is almost an unexplainable feeling about him that I have....the best way I can explain it is that he is a pompous ass. Jason and Mike already explained why.....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I think you Sox fans are ultra-sensitive so I'll just leave it that, but I think Jeter carries himself better than most athletes.

Crawdaddy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Robert. As much as I detest the Yankees (even though I'm not a Sawx fan), I've never found much to criticize about Jeter.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller

No Jason, Derek Jeter is A-Rod with less range, less power, and a better press agent... and rings, and plays in the clutch. I'm cool with Jeter. I think where people come off thinking he's pompous comes down to Jeter's obvious dislike of the media. Yeah, he's a hugely boring interview -- so his goal to say something by saying absolutely nothing, makes him look pompous because of his blunt and nondescript answers. I compare Jeter's interviews to Cal Ripken's interview -- absolute snoozefest. Great players though.

Doug

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
First move of the hot stove thus far:

Vinny Castilla traded from the Nationals to the Padres for a pitcher(Brian Lawrence). The Nats have a stud in waiting so they traded Castilla.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On ESPN radio tonight...keeping in mind that they have 24 hours a day of air time to fill with sports talk and more talk and more talk...is that after these two emotional press conferences this week from Theo Epstein and Larry Lucchino that maybe there'll be a reconciliation. As "proof" of the possibility, they cite the Ken Macha situation in Oakland.

I certainly think both sides have a good lot to gain if that was to happen...and that they could do it and still save face...but, I doubt it will come to pass.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

I'm still sending back the "I'm sorry you have to work for these sleezeballs" messages to the poor guys having to read their email. Thinking of mailing a nice Letter of Resignation for Lucchino to sign next week with paid Henry addressed stamped envelope.

:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I think Jeter doesn't trust the media which is a wise thing considering where he plays. There have been too many documented cases in which the media builds an athlete up then years later they proceed to tear him down.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I believe Jeter's change in attitude can be directly attributed to where he plays rather than a distrust of the media.

I'm not saying he doesn't distrust the media. I've seen interviews where he side-steps potential landmines-of-questions with the grace of Astaire. But growing into his answers has been a condescension which seems to come from the Yankee indoctrination.

================================================== ========

Manny to Anaheim rumors continue to swirl..as part of a three-team trade. I guess Gammons reported on ESPN radio this morning that Arizona may be getting involved.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Also set to be announced is Robin Yount returning to Milwaukee to be the Brewer's bench coach under Ned Yost.

And, what's up with the Yankee's coaching moves? They piss off Luis Sojo by removing him from third base. He says a move to first would be a "demotion" and ends up managing their A club in Tampa. They hire Larry Bowa to coach 3b and Tony Pena to coach 1B. I cannot think of any two guys more at odds with Torre's laid-back clubhouse style than Bowa & Pena (unless they were going to add Ozzie Guillen as an instructor. Here are two guys with recent managerial experience and mercurial personalities (Bowa more so than Pena, I think). It just seems against the "Yankee way" of staying within the organization to bring in outsiders for these jobs. I'm not sure what's happened to former 1b coach Roy White (the only guy other than Yaz who really knew how to play left field in Fenway over the last 40 years! :D ). A Yankee friend of mine remembered that Larry Bowa was at one time Lou Piniella's 3b coach. That seems like an odd coincidence. I guess maybe its more in line with recent philosphies of going after high-paid free agents than staying within the organization. But I'm not sure its going to be the best for clubhouse stability in '06.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That's where you and I differ because I don't see an attitude change in Jeter, what I see is a ballplayer that knows what's expected of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks