What's new

2005-06 MLB Hot Stove Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Very true but figure on Wells being gone (that is about 9 million....if he reaches the incentives....which he will), Millar and Mueller will be gone....that is about 6 million and there is a good chance Damon is gone....about 8 million. If all thi happens you are talking about 23 million is savings.....before a possible Manny trade even happens. I would like to see them take a run at Millwood, Torri Hunter, keep Mueller and Olerude (backup) and try to get Glaus for 1st base(if he is willing). I would also like to keep Gaffanino. A lineup of Hunter, Renteria, Ortiz, Manny, (please don't trade him) Glaus, Varitek, Nixon, Mueller, Grafanino would be VERY NICE............it will never happen I know but I can always dream......
As for Pedroia (Sox AAA pawtucket 2nd baseman) coming up.....he is still a year away. He is a great prospect.....reminds me of Eckstein.....but he still needs a year in the minors ann a late saeason callup to get him prepared for the '07' season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Can you retire with a year to go on your contract? How does that work?

I really feel for Dodgers fans. One of my close co-workers is a Dodgers fan and I cannot believe the stuff he's had to put up with the past couple of years. Getting rid of LaDuca was probably the worst...but geting rid of Shawn Green was right up there.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The La Duca trade ticked me off to no end but the Shawn Green deal I was happy about. He was headed downhill fast. The young catcher they got is impressive. Their Double A team is loaded. We'll see how many of them make the team come next year.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
He could be interesting. Hershisher is an unknown. He hasn't managed before but he bleeds Dodger blue. We shall see. I'd rather have a proven commodity though.

Meanwhile it looks like Gillick has permission to be talked to by the Dodgers. He has already been interviewed by the Phillies. Looks like Jan's sources are right so far :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When Tracy was fired, the first thought that went through my mind was...how was this guy supposed to win after they traded away all that talent? I didn't see too many Dodger games this year so I don't know too much about Tracy's abilities or the team's abilities for that matter.

During the first week of the season though, my local cable company always gives you a free preview week of their MLB package. And, I got the thrill to see and hear Vin Scully call a Dodger game for the first time since he stopped doing NBC broadcasts. How many years ago was that?!? As I was watching, I realized there was something very different from what I'm used to here in the New York market...where I am subjected to the Yankees' YES network. That "something very different" was silence. AND, that there was only one person in the booth as opposed to the two or three-man teams that are currently the norm in the broadcast booth. What class. You west-coasters are indeed fortunate.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yep Scully is indeed in a class with very few others. I got to meet him when I went into the dugout a few times. My next door neighbor was a shortstop and a manager for the Dodgers so that's how I became a fan.

As far as Tracy goes, I like him alot and felt he did a respectful job. I wish they would have kept him because he did the best he could with what he had. He was not dealt the prettiest hands to deal with.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, he's long gone. :D Way overpaid and can't hit lefties at all. Mediocre fielder. Terrible baserunner.

They better keep Manny and I don't for a second believe the crap that the Sox didn't leak the latest trade one bit. It was in the Globe and the Globe owns a huge chunk of the team. Planned smear campaign against a guy that goes out and puts up the numbers every year. You can't sign anyone better than Manny for under $20 million and there's zero to be gained by trading him because any potential "extra money" is eaten up by paying off the team that gets him. An unhappy Manny is just as good as a happy Manny. His numbers are consistent either way.

Don't understand the logic in trading Wells either. They need to dump Clement ASAP, not Wells. He can go to San Diego next year when his contract is up. This team needs pitching and it needs to keep Manny.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

I do agree that it might be time for Trot to go someplace but he is certainly no hasbin. He was injured (AGAIN) and had great numbers before the injury. The last healthy season he had he batted over 300 had 27 homers and 90 RBI's.......that was when they signed him for the 5 -6 million per year contract. Since then he has been on the DL and for that reason I think they need to let him go......but it will be tough.

The Sox WAAAAY overpaid for Clement but I a looking for him to have a good season next year....I think 17 wins is not out of the question. The Sox are looking at trading Manny to Anaheimfor their young stud starter Santana and Darrin Erstad. Not a great move but it will free up a ton of cash because Erstad has one year left on a big contract and Santana is not getting paid too much. The Sox will then have a boatload of money to spend for the '07' season.......but will Red Sox Nation be up for a little "rebuilding"????? I doubt it.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

LOL HOW TRUE!! Personaly I would not mind seeing the Sox take a step back and "re-tool" a bit. I think the sox will never "re-build". They will always be cometitive since they obviously spend the cash. They just can't be afraid to take a few chances here and there in the Free agent market and with trading. It is a pretty weak free agent class so look fo a lot of the big moves with most teams in general to be through the trade market.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Larry Lucchino needs to go NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a fucking dumbass move. Low balled Theo for years and then leaks his smut to the globe. Theo was right to be fed up with this smear campaign and disingenous behavior by Lucchino. I don't blame him one bit for resigning. Nobody needs to put up with their boss taking private conversations to the media. This comes just days after the Asst GM left to take the GM job in AZ. :angry:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Hrm, I wonder if Epstein will be asked to visit with McCourt and crew out in LA? This could be interesting.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I hear you Joseph. I am not going to put ALL of the blame on Lucchino though...some yes, but not all. Theo is a VERY private person and there is NO privacy in Boston....look at the player who left and want to leave. Until fans in Boston can offer these player a LITTLE bit of peace this may become a pattern.....if it isn't already. Theo did a good job but to a point he is a bit over-rated. Boston really was the team that Duquette built (as much as it pains me). Manny, Varitek, Lowe, Pedro, Nomar, Nixon etc were all Duquette players. Yes Ortiz and Schilling were Theo....along with the balls to trade Nomar.....but largely this team was Duquettes. Don't foget also about the other moves by Theo....letting Pedro and Lowe leave. Signing Remiro Mendoza and Jeremy Giambi. Overpaying for Renteria and Clement. Not trading some people to get bullpen and pitching help this year.....which is why they lost in the first round.
I would have loved to see Theo back but I do have enough faith in the Ownership group that they will do what they can to bring someone in......there are a lot of good people out there too.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I haven't agreed with many of Theo's moves. This however is despicable behavior by Larry Lucchino. Nobody with a backbone would take this job now knowing full well that your boss spends all his time discrediting everything you do. They pulled the same garbage with Manny over the weekend as well. Get him out now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll go so far as to say that this is probably going to signal the end of the Sox current run at the top of the heat.

With Epstein gone, Manny probably goes, Damon goes, Ortiz safety net erodes and unless the pitching gets REAL healthy for 2005...It'll be up to Ortiz and Varitek (and Renteria will have to step up big) to try to keep things afloat.

We'll see.

This does, indeed, suck.

boston.com is reporting that Manny has re-upped his request for a trade and that if it doesn't happen he might not report in the spring. It begins.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I understand that this is going to be a tough off season but don't forget that the sox still have a decent nucleus to work around. They will have a healthy Schilling and Clement (Yes he was injured for a lot of the season and just got knee surgery), Papelbon, Arroyo and Wakefied. Timlin will resign soon and Foulke is committed to coming back strong. They will have have renteria, Ortiz, Varitek, and Nixon. I will be VERY shocked if Damon does not resign. His stock has gone down a lot and he wants to stay in Boston. If the sox trade Manny they WILL get something in return and will have a boatload of cash to spend. Also very recently Konerko's agent said that he think Boston would be a very good fit for him. I am not saying to not be nervouse....I am.....but don't loose faith yet....let things play out...then we can bash the &^*( out of them ;). A lot of other teams are having issues too. The Yankees are really not looking much better and are quickly getting old....Baltimore will have its' normal issues and Tampa is still a year or 2 away from competing for the top spot (but they will soon....mark my words). I think the only team in the East that is sitting pretty right now is Toronto....and that is not saying much!! The Sox are also going to strongly persue Giles.....which I think would be a great signing.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

That's simply not true. They have no GM. They have No 1B, No 2B, No 3B, No RF, No CF, no closer, no bullpen.

SS is underperforming, LF is supposed to be traded, DH is going to be missing protection. Youkillus is a ? for 3B and wasn't the starter last year.

The only pitcher that isn't a question mark is Wakefield. Papelbon needs another pitch to start. Clement is a clutch as Kim and should be gone. Wells is apparently gone. Arroyo was very shaky. Schilling was mediocre at best and his health is a question mark.

Pretty bad spot to be in with GM meetings coming in just days.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Maybe we should name this the "Red Sox Hot Stove Discussion". :)

All I have to say is what a surprise, ESPN was wrong again -- correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a given that Theo signs today? I know Gammons is very respected, but ESPN is so quick to get the "story" first, that they spend half the time backtracking. I get so damn pissed, I know Fox does it too, but ESPN is so focussed on entertainment now that they do it more than anyone.

I think Theo leaving is an interesting turn of events. I thought of LA first, but let's be real, the Dodgers have no idea what's going on right now, their new owner doesn't seem to know what way is up. MLB on XM Radio was talking about how Lasorda has McCourt's ear, and that led to Depodesta and Tracy's firing. (Personally, I liked Jim Tracy.) I think there's much better odds that Gillick lands in LA, he's more mature (old) and established, which will be in the Dodgers comfort level. Personally, I would take Theo here (Seattle) in a heartbeat, ditto for Cashman if the Yankees wouldn't have been able to re-sign him. But, I know that ownership would never put that kind of money into a GM....

Pretty ugly free agent market overall, not a lot of big signers. Seattle needs pitchers, desperately. I like the look of Matt Morris, Paul Byrd, and Washburn (if he doesn't have a flu or something in the middle of the playoffs.)

Anyone hear the rumor that Sammy Sosa is talking Japan? I guess Sammy made more than Arod last year (balloon contract) and pride is a funny thing. Japan is all over sensation, someone like Sosa would do well in Japan... depending on their "supplement" rules.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks