2004 vs. 2005 Samsung DLP? (worth saving money)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob White, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

I'm looking at the 42in and 46in Samsung DLP HD-ready RPTV's. Last years models (have a "P" in the model number) can be had for $300-400 less than this year's models (have an "R" in the model number).

I'm not sure of the exact model numbers and the exact savings, since I've just started researching my purchase.

Bottom line: Is it worth saving the money or is one year difference a major step in the technology of the two tv's??? (I'm talking about new sets; not a used one, just a older model that hasn't been sold yet).

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

p.s. For what's it's worth, my viewing would be 50% Xbox 360, 30% Cable, 20% DVD's.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

They removed calibration items in this years model versus last year. So last year is more tweakable.

REgards

3. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

That sounds like an advantage for last year's sets. Are you saying that with this year's set I wouldn't be able to set up my own sets of preferences? I don't know if I'm making sense, but with my Sony RPTV, I was able to use the Avia disc to create a couple of custom picture settings; would I not be able to do that with this year's set?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

They removed the color decoding parameters from this years sets. You have to live with the factory presets.

Previously, the decoder was set wrong OOTB (figure 50%), but you could make it near perfect with the adjustments. Now it is like 75% OOTB ... and that's all there is.

Regards