What's new

2004 Various Guild nominees (Actors, Producers, Cinematographers, Art Directors) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Just checked out the SAG noms. No love for Astin means no acting noms for ROTK. Severely limits (by 4) the numbers of noms it will get. If there *IS* major support for the film itself, it will do quite well in the technical categories though. I did want Astin to get a nom myself :frowning:

Thanks Vickie :D

Take care,
Chuck

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Cinema Audio Society nominations. They came out a day earlier than I expected.

I don't know what the difference is between the Cinema Audio Society and the Motion Picture Sound Editors or how they relate to who votes on Oscar nominations. It's good to see that both of them have love for ROTK though!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member

Very interesting to see what they consider to be a foreign film. Both Cold Mountain and ROTK qualify. Is it because the production company is foreign?

Thanks for the note on their previous nominees. It appears that this trend is not new.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm guessing the CAS is to the Achievement in Sound award as the MPSE is to the Achievement in Sound Effects Editing award. The former deals with sound mixing, the latter with (obviously) editing. These are very different disciplines.

The way I look at it is the Sound, or mixing, award is about the entire soundscape of the film - how all the various elements that make up a soundtrack (music, effect, dialogue) work together.

The sound editing awards are about those individual elements. The MPSE has categories for effects, dialogue & music editing. The Academy only recognizes sound effects at this time.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, for everyone that hates when the Oscar is split between Best Pix and Best Director, get ready to be happy this year. :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with the surprise Documentary DGA winner: Nathaniel Kahn - My Architect.

Not on my list, but of interest:

The winner of the DGA Commercials award went to someone we all know and love: David Fincher. :frowning: because I want him to make another movie. His last movie was Panic Room and there's nothing upcoming listed at IMDB.

Mike Nichols won for Angels In America AND he received a Lifetime Achievement Award. What an amazing guy! (didja know he co-founded Second City and that his first movie was Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?). I'm looking forward to his upcoming Closer with Natalie Portman and Jude Law.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Art Directors Guild winners:

Period or Fantasy Films - Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Contemporary Films - Mystic River

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's Editing win is one of the most important ones to watch for.

The Art Directors wins pretty much tell you all you need to know, it's a 2 horse race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks