2004 Toyota Prius - More Powerful, Larger, Better Mileage!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

very cool [​IMG]
    going to be quicker, better looking, AND more fuel efficient. Amazing little machine.

now excuse me while I go hop in my 22mpg WRX burning 91 octane [​IMG]

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

My boss loves his Prius. This news will leave him quite envious. [​IMG]

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I remember reading a recent article in San Francisco Chronicle that Toyota aims to stop producing gasoline-only cars within 10 years, and just produce hybrids.

I am still hoping for a twin-turbo hybrid Celia GTS [​IMG]

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    The Prius finally looks like a real car and not just a golf cart with a body.

7. Peter Kline

[​IMG]

INTERESTING LOOKING DASH.

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Yeah, I heard about that new telepathic dashboard technology. Incredible stuff they're coming out with these days!

Oh, and that joystick thingy is the shifter. No kidding.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I want those Hydrogen cars, where they just release water vapor. But until they can compete head to head in speed, take off, and all that stuff, I wont buy them. I would feel like I was buying a golf cart. No I don't race or anything like that, or even drive fast, but I don't want to plunk my money into something that doesn't compete with what is out there today.

10. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

As a Prius owner (2001 model), I dunno if this new one is all that. The back end looks squished down, and the back seat presumably has much less headroom. The dashboard looks very similar to mine, but with more buttons, not sure what they're for. Of course, the better fuel mileage makes it all worthwhile, assuming of course that emissions are still as low as ever (or lower!).

Oh, and where's the gear shifter? The old model had a rally car-style shifter, I don't see it here. Is it that little gadget below and to the left of the radio/AC controls?

11. Peter Kline

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Agreed on the speed. One of my few typical American traits is the need for high speed [gaz guzzling] machines. The hydrogen fuel cell technology is cool stuff, but quite a few years from being practical.

13. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hydrogen would be ok if they had reforming onboard or if the fuel was reformed NG or gasoline. Hydrogen Fuel-Cells are just engines. Hydrogen is not available in our environment. You cannot find it freely on the earth. You must "obtain" hydrogen and that takes energy. Its still a useful technology, but don't think of hydrogen as a new energy source. Its not.

That said, I'm liking the new look of the Prius. Looks pretty cool.

14. Peter Kline

The old Prius, I believe, is 6 years old technology. The New Prius uses updated technology and should be much improved all around. I think we'll see some driver reports in the next month or so. Looking forward to the reviews. You can sign up for email updates at the Toyota.com site by the way.

15. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Looks pretty good, but the dash seems way too high. Personally, I was hoping that Toyota would someday bring back the Supra. [​IMG]

16. Peter Kline

The dash photo is somewhat distorted due to the angle of the photo and the lens (it isn't as high as it appears). A friend saw the car at the New York auto show and says it is a great improvement over the current Prius. It should sell very well. Price will be about the same ($20,500) although extra stuff can add $5000 to the price.

Here's a side view:
    [​IMG]

17. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Some comments about the 2004 Prius:

1. It's going to take some getting used to in terms of its shape. The car reminds me of a Honda Civic CRX 'writ large'.

2. I do appreciate they made more space available in the interior and definitely put in proper-height center arm rest for the front seaters. In deed, there is enough interior space now that the 2004 Prius is classed as a mid-sized car.

3. I definitely like the improvements Toyota has done with the new Synergy Hybrid drivetrain. It means not only better fuel mileage but also stronger low-end acceleration power for entering freeway onramps and going up hills. It should be noted the air-conditioning system is now powered off the battery pack, so it's not necessary to have the gasoline engine running all the time when A/C is turned on.

4. The hatchback design is actually a good idea. It not only allows for a normal "trunk" area, but also when the back seats are folded down and the security cover removed it can be used to carry oversized objects.

5. I'm sure handling will be improved on the 2004 model. Toyota may put in a new suspension system for better handling, and Toyota will be using 15" rim tires (probably 195/65R15 size) to help improve handling.

6. I do like the new front dash design, strong inspired by the 2004 Sienna minivan's front dash design. I'm especially glad they got rid of the chicken wing bone stalk transmission shifter, which looked so out of place on the current Prius front dash. [​IMG]

18. Peter Kline

I wonder if the braking will have a better "feel". The current car, when I drove it, was a bit quirky.