What's new

2004 SAG Awards (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Depp!!! Woohoo! I hope this bodes well for next weeks Academy Awards. If he win Best Actor, I'll be jumping up and down for joy all night long.

Charlize Theron. Drool.....

No surprise that ROTK won Ensemble, Tim and Renee won Supporting, and Charlize for Actress.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I know!

I only tuned in for the last 1/2 hour but watching the repeat now, I realise that Sean Astin was mimicing Tim Robbins. I though he was posturing.

--
H

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Was it satire? Stupidity? Who knows. A decidedly uneloquent collection of speeches by the ROTK crew. Maybe Fran, Phillipa, and PJ (or Tolkien) should have written them something. Anyway, glad they won (they deserved it). Shocker for Depp, it looks like Penn and Murray have alienated enough of the guild to make the Oscars a race.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I'm too scratching my head over Sean Astin being political.

Even though Renee won tonight, I'm still going with Shohreh Agdashloo for Supporting Actress next week. :)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Something about many actors being underpaid and how he agreed w) Robbins and how his mom was president of SAG and blah..blah..blah..

Note to Sean: Shut up already and garden!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, without seeing it, remember he's talking to the SAG membership, 99% of whom are not famous and can barely make enough money to pay their bills. It sounds like he's referring to contract negotiations that that have been going on for a couple of years between the studios and the actor's unions.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Right, but after working on a project in another country(that will bring him undying fame), he needed to shut the f### up and be grateful. He was an utter a-hole. You had to see it to fully appreciate it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
[...]and blah..blah..blah..

Note to Sean: Shut up already and garden!
...which I agree with.

Sorry, but he doesn't have the gravita to pull something like that off sucessfully. Not even close. It came of to me (and I am a huge LOTR fan) as grandstanding. John Rhys-Davis nudged him to the side in the middle of his speech... to everyone's relief it seems. Again, it may just be a big joke, but it didn't work even in that respect.

--
H

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I love Johnny Depp, and I'm happy for him, but I'm upset that Sean Penn didn't win.

He's never won a SAG award.

He's never won an Oscar.

What the hell?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Another RotK cast faux pas:
Speaking for "Rings," John Rhys-Davies, Gimli in the movie, said, "At the risk of sounding immodest, we deserved this award. This is the most enormous undertaking in film history."
Ugh. Sounds like the cast caught a bad case of "I'm King Of The World!" syndrome.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Sounds like the cast caught a bad case of "I'm King Of The World!" syndrome.
Poor Jim Cameron. When I saw that, it was apparent to me he was just acting with joyful exuberance, a la Jack at the bow. Now it's become the rallying cry for egocentrics at Awards shows :) Didn't see the SAG's (or Johnny Depp on Inside the Actor's Studio...which is what I wanted to see), but maybe I'm glad I missed it. It does make ROTK a lock, but will the negative ball start rolling? No one likes a smug winner.

Take care,
Chuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm very happy the ROTK cast won, but their comments were kind of weird. It didn't occur to me before, but I guess Astin's spiel could have been an attempt at a joke, but it didn't work. And that quote from John Rhys-Daives (which could have been taken out of context, of course) also kind of makes you cringe. There's certainly nothing wrong with being proud of an accomplishment like LOTR, but you have to watch how you express it.

I liked Bernard Hill's comments, though; if it had been left at that, everything would have been fine.

Also surprised by Johnny Depp's win, but pretty happy with it.

As a side note, I hope they have a different Sean Penn clip from Mystic River at the Oscars next week. The whole "My own daughter, and I can't even cry for her" scene was quite moving when I saw the film last fall, but right now, I'm fairly tired of it. It's a good scene, but there are others, most of them better.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The ROTK cast better not be too cocky. The Oscar ballots are not due until Tuesday afternoon
Crap. Here I was hoping that Sean's little stunt would be unconsequential after all. I though about this, but figured we're only a week away, and ballots must have been due at least a week ago.

Anyway, it doesn't seem the industry is making a big deal out of it, so perhaps there is no need to worry. Still, I was fairly pissed, and can only hope that it came accross as a (BAD) joke.

Sean Penn was visibly very suprised by his loss. He was clearly expecting his name...

--
H

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, Dave Poland has weighed in on this:
Poor Jim Cameron. When I saw that, it was apparent to me he was just acting with joyful exuberance, a la Jack at the bow. Now it's become the rallying cry for egocentrics at Awards shows.
Ya know, Chuck, I believe you are correct, but it didn't come across that way, at least in the room of people I saw it with. The problem is Cameron already had the egomaniac rep (deserved or not), and the "King of the World" bit just played into that.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Oh, Craig, I have no doubt Cameron is an egomaniac among egomaniacs :D I give him a pass because, frankly, he's earned the right. That night, however, I didn't feel he was trying to "feel his oats"...he was just trying to express his happiness.

I'd love to see Astin's comments. I like the guy, but he does seem overbearing. Very overbearing. To his credit, he was always the guy at the awards shows (whatever they may be) championing the film.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks