What's new

2004 Oscars - How will the Academy handle The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
With their previous track record, I feel pretty confident that WETA will get another nom for its effects work on "Return of the King." But how do you think the Academy will handle two "Matrix" movies coming out in the same year?

I know some people didn't think too highly of the CG in "Reloaded," but I will be very surprised if the film doesn't get several nominations in effects categories. I also expect "Revolutions" to have similarly excellent effects work and to receive nominations.

So, do you think that each film will be nominated within the same category, or do you think the Academy will go with a different approach, such as nominating one of the "Matrix" films for visual effects and one for sound effects? Or do you think only one of the films will be nominated for anything?

Has anything like this happened in the past, where two films from the same team have been released in the same year? If so, how was it handled?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
what immediately springs to mind is Steven Soderburgh for Erin Brokavich and Traffic. Not a perfect comparison but similar.

What makes the Matrix unique is that its the same series, and both are sequels, I've no idea how Back to the Future two and three were handled for effects awards, but maybe those films came out in the same year (Two definitely had more flashy effects).

Effects teams and companies often are competing against themselves because they often did some or all the work on many of the films nominated, ILM is the default everyone knows, but they're nominated less than many think.

What will the academy do?

that doesn't really matter, it all depends on Warners. whichever film they decide to put their marketing budget behind to secure nominations. My guess is that they'll play it safe and push Revolutions simply because of the stereotype that academy members are incapable of remembering movies more than three months old.

Adam

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've no idea how Back to the Future two and three were handled for effects awards, but maybe those films came out in the same year
1) They came out in separate years - 1989 and 1990

2) Only 2 got a nomination for visual effects. (It lost to The Abyss). 3 received no Oscar nods at all...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Completley ignore it in favor of Return of the King and the Lord of the Rings trillogy? :)

Seriouly though, like Adam said, it all depends on what Warner wants to promote.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They could nominate the WORK instead of the films. The Two Towers wasn't eligible for some awards because they thought it was too similar in Fellowship. Maybe they'll nominate the staff who did the CGI/SFX/Costumes/whatever for both Matrix films and look at them as one project?

Or they could nominated whichever film showed it off better on a case-by-case basis, like nominated Reloaded for CGI/SFX and Revolutions for costumes (just an example).

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Well, it's probably a pretty safe bet that they won't cancel each other out for screenplay.:D

Seriously though, I think New Line is going to push the hell out of Return of the King. Seeing as how both of the previous films were best picture nods, it's probably a reasonable bet that ROTK will nab a ton of nominations. If the film delivers, the Matrix movies will cancel each other out if both are nominated.

In addition, it's not reflected on this forum, but there are a LOT of people who REALLY disliked Reloaded. If there's a "backlash," that will play into the voting.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
In addition, it's not reflected on this forum, but there are a LOT of people who REALLY disliked Reloaded. If there's a "backlash," that will play into the voting.
It's not like we're talking about BP here. I mean, I love TMR as much (or more :)) than anyone on this forum, but I'm not expecting it to walk away with the big boy. I doubt backlash will play a role in any visual effects (or any of the other technicals) awards.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
There's only 2 awards I really want ROTK to win - best picture and best director. It's already won for SFX and score.

This time I want the BIG ONES!

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I don't think Reloaded will get nominations, but Revolutions probably will, because the voters have short-term memory loss (Memento didn't win anything, interesting), and becuase Revolutions will, we hope, have some closure. If it has another virtuoso action sequence (a la the car chase), I think it'll OWN on oscar night. But I can't think of any action sequence outdoing the car scene. I honestly don't see how they could top that, except for some CGI work on that quasi-hideous shot of Neo grabbing Morpheus and the Keymaker.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My brother hated the Matrix, especially the whole Oracle thing (he looked at that as a religious thing) and he hates CGI in films, but he thought Reloaded was a total visual bonanza (not the exact word he used, I think he said there was so much going on that he was physically exhausted, but in a good way).

So I think that Reloaded is definitely eligible for some SFX awards, and maybe even sound or other technical awards, but the Best Picture and such will definitely go to something else (god I hope RotK wins that this year).

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Now that I think about it, I don't think it'll win anything. I don't think either of them'll win anything. it's difficult to remember that the ancient voters do not regard the Matrix highly, in the event that they remember about it come voting time. And anyway, Return of the King is going to be way more deserving of multiple oscar wins. And no, I haven't seen the movie. In any case, VFX will 100% go to one of those 3 movies.

What do people think about BP next year? Are we still sure about Return of the King? i'm starting to have doubts.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think we are discussing Reloaded and Revolutions in the technical categories. Although I found the story to be far more interesting and passionate than most of what gets nominated, no one can confuse the Year of the Matrix with Oscar-typed films. It doesn't fit the notions.

I imagine, as stated, it'll have to do with how WB packages the films. Very likely, it will face the same ignorant problems TTT had, so only ONE film will be nominated in whichever categories it sees.

Who cares,
Chuck

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Not to go off topic, but I just read up on Cold Mountain (produced by you-know-who), and it looks GREAT. those who have read the book know how good the source material is.

And then there's that Russel Crowe boat movie, produced by both Miramax AND Dreamworks (oh! disqualified!); I think that one really depends on buzz.

And then there's The Last Samurai, which looks like it has potential. I don't think Harvey's producing, which of course dramatically hurts its Oscar chances.

In any event, the Oscars will be something more than the Weinstein-Katzenberg show this year. We all know Peter Jackson will be campaigning like a mutha, along with New Line and the rest of the cast. i've got my fingers crossed.

Hmm, perhaps I start a different thread :D.

regards,
nathan

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I don't think Reloaded will get nominations, but Revolutions probably will, because the voters have short-term memory loss (Memento didn't win anything, interesting), and becuase Revolutions will, we hope, have some closure. If it has another virtuoso action sequence (a la the car chase), I think it'll OWN on oscar night. But I can't think of any action sequence outdoing the car scene. I honestly don't see how they could top that, except for some CGI work on that quasi-hideous shot of Neo grabbing Morpheus and the Keymaker.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
ROTK won't clean up on the top awards (Picture/Director). It's already been down to the well twice and come away emptyhanded. I find it highly unlikely that the third part of a 3-film saga will clean up when the first two didn't -- no matter how good it is.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
We all know Peter Jackson will be campaigning like a mutha
Do we know that? On Charlie Rose last year, PJ commented that he would never do the media whoring game after his experience promoting FOTR. I'd definitely like to see him do it though...anything for an ROTK win :)

...assuming it's deserving.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that the thing the first 2 LotR films lacked was the finality of the series, which is what RotK will be full of. That could send it over the edge into BP territory. I hope it wins, at least one of the 3 films should (the first one DEFINITELY should have).

But I can't think of any action sequence outdoing the car scene
If you been paying attention, then you probably already know about it, but there's supposed to be an EXTREMELY cool action scene in Revolutions in a night club that could possibly outdo the freeway scene in Reloaded.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Don't forget the Mobile Suits (which probably WON'T see much action, but any action is badass action :D ).

I think ROTK will live and die on it's merits. I think the Academy wants to reward it...it only has to live up to it's potential.

Take care,
Chuck

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I think Return of the King is the only one of all three films that has a chance at Best Picture, simply because it's the last and the voters may wish to reward the achievment of all three films after they have seen that they are all equally superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks