What's new

2004 Off-Season NBA Trades and Draft (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Dallas Morning News claims that the Mavs/Wizards wikll do this deal:

Antwan Jamison for Christian Laettner, Jerry Stackhouse and the Wizard’s firtst round (number 5) pick. Won’t be final without league approval.

The speculation is that the Mavs are trying to put together a package for Shaq that does not include Dirk.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
That's what I thought as well, Lew, that the Mavs are maneuvering to get a chance at Shaq. On the other hand, why would the Lakers want Christian Laettner or Jerry Stackhouse? It makes little sense to have Stackhouse, who never met a shot he didn't like, on the same team as Kobe.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
That's what I thought as well, Lew, that the Mavs are maneuvering to get a chance at Shaq. On the other hand, why would the Lakers want Christian Laettner or Jerry Stackhouse? It makes little sense to have Stackhouse, who never met a shot he didn't like, on the same team as Kobe.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Good point, but I think the value of Laettner lies in the fact that he is in the last year of a contract. Trading him along with Walker who is in the last year of a contract, would help the Lakers grab some cap space.

Stackhouse has three years left on his deal at around 8-9 million a year. If Kobe does not resign with the Lakers (Phoenix is going to make a run), Stackhouse would provide am solid option for the Lakers if they decide to full out rebuild. By the time Stack's deal is up, any young players they draft this year would have time to develop, and they would once again have salary cap flexibility. If Dwight Howard is part of a Mavs trade for Shaq, Stack would provide scoring off the bench at either the 2 or the 3 for the Mavs.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Good point, but I think the value of Laettner lies in the fact that he is in the last year of a contract. Trading him along with Walker who is in the last year of a contract, would help the Lakers grab some cap space.

Stackhouse has three years left on his deal at around 8-9 million a year. If Kobe does not resign with the Lakers (Phoenix is going to make a run), Stackhouse would provide am solid option for the Lakers if they decide to full out rebuild. By the time Stack's deal is up, any young players they draft this year would have time to develop, and they would once again have salary cap flexibility. If Dwight Howard is part of a Mavs trade for Shaq, Stack would provide scoring off the bench at either the 2 or the 3 for the Mavs.

J

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

But that possibility is vanishingly small. The combination of Phil Jackson leaving town and the suddenly hot rumors about a Shaq trade have removed any doubts about the Lakers' willingness to do whatever it takes to re-sign Kobe.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

But that possibility is vanishingly small. The combination of Phil Jackson leaving town and the suddenly hot rumors about a Shaq trade have removed any doubts about the Lakers' willingness to do whatever it takes to re-sign Kobe.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
After watching Stackhouse and Laettner play for the Pistons, I wouldn't trade two pair of dirty sweat socks for either of those guys, let alone both of them. Stack never saw a shot he didn't like, and does nothing to make his team better. He's more worried about his personal stats than winning. Laettner's a whiner who can't get along with any of his teammates.

On second thought, they sound like a perfect fit for the current Lakers. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
After watching Stackhouse and Laettner play for the Pistons, I wouldn't trade two pair of dirty sweat socks for either of those guys, let alone both of them. Stack never saw a shot he didn't like, and does nothing to make his team better. He's more worried about his personal stats than winning. Laettner's a whiner who can't get along with any of his teammates.

On second thought, they sound like a perfect fit for the current Lakers. :)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

He does like to hoist that leather, but I think his last season with the Pistons was the best one of his career, where he worked well with his teammates and helped Detroit get to the 2nd round of the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. I thought the Pistons were just sort of dumping salary when they traded him right after that season (2001-02) in the deal that brought in Rip Hamilton, so I was disappointed with the deal at first. But the results have shown why Joe Dumars can manage a team to an NBA title, and that I would never be able to if I had a million years to try. :D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

He does like to hoist that leather, but I think his last season with the Pistons was the best one of his career, where he worked well with his teammates and helped Detroit get to the 2nd round of the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. I thought the Pistons were just sort of dumping salary when they traded him right after that season (2001-02) in the deal that brought in Rip Hamilton, so I was disappointed with the deal at first. But the results have shown why Joe Dumars can manage a team to an NBA title, and that I would never be able to if I had a million years to try. :D

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
If Stackhouse and Laettner come to the Lakers in any package, no matter who else is involved, Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak should be lobotomized. BTW, is it just me, or is this year's draft pool unusually lame? I mean, every draft can't be a 1984, but, jeez, these guys seem very weak indeed.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
If Stackhouse and Laettner come to the Lakers in any package, no matter who else is involved, Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak should be lobotomized. BTW, is it just me, or is this year's draft pool unusually lame? I mean, every draft can't be a 1984, but, jeez, these guys seem very weak indeed.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It could be that Stack and Laettner get moved for people that LA does want. But mostly its all about matching salaries.

For LA it might just be that they want to move Shaq to solve the tension without getting nothing back when Shaq goes FA. But like the Bobcats, LA might also think as much about clearing cap space as getting talent back.

It's pretty official (both Jackson's agent and Harrington confirmed it) that Indiana did go hard after Jackson from Cleveland, but the Cavs weren't buying (I assume just Al for Jackson). Also Indy did try to get the Bulls to deal and it didn't happen.

So, what that means is that Indy still has Al to deal and Orlando still has TMac to deal. That deal might not be dead yet.

Of course I had heard that Francis had some thing in his contract that kept them from announcing the deal for a few weeks. That could be bunk, but it could also be that the deal is basically done and just in a holding pattern.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to bring back the exact same 61 win team. After all, the Pistons will likely be losing at least one piece and I thought Indy played them dead even, especially if you put a healthy Tinsley in the lineup.

Can Bird talk Reggie into going to the bench. I think Reggie should do this and I don't see how this is "offensive" to his pride. It's not like anyone doesn't know that he is now a 8-10 PPG role player instead of a starter and star. He fits the Byron Scott/Chris Mullin role perfectly.

Of course you look at Payton's attitude in LA and scratch your head a little too, although Gary always had a less friendly and likeable attitude.

Anyway, so far the draft has gone rather dull. You wonder how many of these guys get moved after the draft, but with most of them being "potential" I sort of think teams are willing to just wait it out and see how their own guys develop.

Not sure how the Utah/Dallas trade factors into a Mavs move for Shaq, so maybe that is bunk too, or maybe he is there to help sweeten the pot.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It could be that Stack and Laettner get moved for people that LA does want. But mostly its all about matching salaries.

For LA it might just be that they want to move Shaq to solve the tension without getting nothing back when Shaq goes FA. But like the Bobcats, LA might also think as much about clearing cap space as getting talent back.

It's pretty official (both Jackson's agent and Harrington confirmed it) that Indiana did go hard after Jackson from Cleveland, but the Cavs weren't buying (I assume just Al for Jackson). Also Indy did try to get the Bulls to deal and it didn't happen.

So, what that means is that Indy still has Al to deal and Orlando still has TMac to deal. That deal might not be dead yet.

Of course I had heard that Francis had some thing in his contract that kept them from announcing the deal for a few weeks. That could be bunk, but it could also be that the deal is basically done and just in a holding pattern.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to bring back the exact same 61 win team. After all, the Pistons will likely be losing at least one piece and I thought Indy played them dead even, especially if you put a healthy Tinsley in the lineup.

Can Bird talk Reggie into going to the bench. I think Reggie should do this and I don't see how this is "offensive" to his pride. It's not like anyone doesn't know that he is now a 8-10 PPG role player instead of a starter and star. He fits the Byron Scott/Chris Mullin role perfectly.

Of course you look at Payton's attitude in LA and scratch your head a little too, although Gary always had a less friendly and likeable attitude.

Anyway, so far the draft has gone rather dull. You wonder how many of these guys get moved after the draft, but with most of them being "potential" I sort of think teams are willing to just wait it out and see how their own guys develop.

Not sure how the Utah/Dallas trade factors into a Mavs move for Shaq, so maybe that is bunk too, or maybe he is there to help sweeten the pot.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Jan,

when we talked about it a month or so ago I think several of us were of the impression that really the talent pool is the "same" (although too young to produce right away as much) its just that fans don't get to see these guys play in the NCAA, especially conference tourneys and Final Four.

In the past it was those situations that helped make the draft stars, many of whom ended up being no better than what a lot of these picks will be.

An NCAA career is the perfect place to build draft "stars", at least if you want to get fans excited.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Jan,

when we talked about it a month or so ago I think several of us were of the impression that really the talent pool is the "same" (although too young to produce right away as much) its just that fans don't get to see these guys play in the NCAA, especially conference tourneys and Final Four.

In the past it was those situations that helped make the draft stars, many of whom ended up being no better than what a lot of these picks will be.

An NCAA career is the perfect place to build draft "stars", at least if you want to get fans excited.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive my ignorance but is it against NBA rules on draft day to trade picks before the selection is made? A guy gets picked by a team and 10 minutes later is traded to another. Why not announce the trade at the podium right before the pick and let the new team pick the player? I can't imagine that all these deals are done spur of the moment.
My only point of reference is the NHL draft (this Sat. by the way) and I can only think of one instance where a draft pick was chosen the traded within a short time frame, Eric Lindros. For the NHL draft their is a sense of pride and honor to be drafted by a team. The NBA's way really seems to diminish those feelings.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks