What's new

2004 NHL Playoffs: Round 1 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I did not specifically state it, but I meant that the people in my city (Boston) just do not see a reason to boo an anthem, as evidenced by our totally ignoring the original peeing contest between Vancouver/Detroit and going out of our way to cheer the anthem after the display in Montreal in 2002. I in no way think Americans are above boorish behavior, it's just that the anthem booing seems petty and childish to me and (evidently) to most citizens of Boston. I have discussed this with friends and I believe it may be due to the fact that Bostonians are steeped in patriotism (we grew up hearing about the minutemen and patriots from the time we attended kindergarten), so maybe that has something to do with it. I do know that after 9/11, many people at Bruins games took a lot more effort to be quiet, stand up straight and put their hands or hats over their hearts during the anthem. Maybe that respect transfered over the the other anthem, sort of like we are all in this together. I don't know, but I do know Bruins fans did not boo and I'll bet they will not Thursday. I'll be the first to curse them if they do.

If I have offended any of our brothers to the north, I am sorry. I am positive the fans in Montreal are not indicative of the whole country and did not mean to imply it. There has certainly been an overwhelming condemnation (on both side of the border) of that display of disrespect. Now, let's get on with the games.

Edit - I too made the mistake that the game was in Boston tonite, edited to say Thursday.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Even there you are making a gross generalization. Just because a hundred (out of 21,273) idiots boo during the American anthem, that makes every Canadien fan or Montrealer disrespectful?
If I recall, it took a message from your star player Bill Guerin, to get your 100 idiots to stop booing.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Nobody booed the Canadian anthem at any Boston playoff games in 2002. Games 1 and 2 were in Boston and no boos were heard (unlike Vancouver/Detroit). The Canadiens fans booed in game 3. The message from Guerin came in game 5 and the Canadian anthem was roundly cheered. Rocket Richard (I believe) gave a similar message to MTL fans in game 4. Regardless, the number of fans booing sunday night were able to be heard over the singer, who was miked and PA'd and still had to try and drown them out. You say hundreds, I say a bit more than that. Whatever. All I know is it never happened in Boston.

I was an eye (ear) witness because I attended the games in Boston and can give links to the articles if you want.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to one of a few articles. This one summarizes the booing (I was wrong, it was NYI/TOR, not PHI/OTT). Nowhere in this article does it mention booing in Boston, only Guerin's message in game 5. I'm listing a Canadian article so as not to show bias.

Booing summary - Slam Sports

Correction again - It was not Richard, but two then current Canadiens who gave the message to Habs fans in game 6. I was confused by the message that Jean Beliveau gave last year after the american anthem was booed during a NYI at MTL game.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
This whole booing discussion is fascinating to me. I haven't been watching too much of any of these series for various reasons, but from what I've seen we've got some real even ones going on, a bit disappointed though that Colorado didn't pick up the victory last night.

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
Let's get this thread back on track...Go Canucks!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope we'll be looking at a 3-1 series lead after tonight.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

As there rightly shouldn't be with any regularity in the post season, given the level of play required to even make the playoffs.

Here's to a 3-1 series lead for Vancouver tonight!

Go Canucks!

PS. The officiating still sucks.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
you're right. I was confusing the Detroit series with the Boston series.

I'm surprised at the fact there will be no sweeps in the first round. Some teams looked poised to do it.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Go Flames!

what time is the game tonight? i've seen 10est and 10:30est both listed. my tv listings have it as 10, and i hope that's right.

ps. the officiating still sucks, but that benefits vancouver more than calgary. especially seeing how atrocious the flames powerplay was in periods 2 and 3 on sunday. yeesh.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Tonight's Vancouver/Calgary game is 7:00PST (10EST) according to Canucks.com.

I don't know that the Flames' power play has been that attrocious, just that Vancouver's PK has been outstanding, and I hope that continues.

I'm looking forward to Ohlund vs Oginla round two.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
is ohlund going to fight back before the linesman is holding iginla back this time:D

yelle is supposed to be playing today which will give the flames PK and most importantly their face-offs a big boost.

Jason GT

Second Unit

Mark, what is wrong with you?

In the distance... I see.... Hell -- and it appears to be frozen over! (unless you're transplanted from Calgary, in which case it makes more sense).

As for the officiating, IIRC it's objectively benefitted Calgary more than Vancouver (more PPs for the Flames) -- it's just that the Canucks have been better with their opportunities than the Flames have been with theirs. Heck, the Canucks have only scored 1 even strength goal :D

There have been a lot of penalties but I think it's been a tough series to officiate (due largely to the brute physicality of the games). Worse yet, could you imagine it if the games were being called tighter than they are already?

I don't think it's taken away too much from some truly excellent hockey, which is the most important thing.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
no i'm not going to argue that it's not entertaining hockey.

and i'm not saying that the calls have been going against calgary at all. i'm just saying the overly tight officiating benefits the canucks more simply because the flames pp,pk hasn't been anywhere near the level the canucks have been playing.

and yes i am a transplanted flames fan. but i will admit that I do have a soft-spot for the oilers now. granted i'd never cheer for them head to head but they have become my second favourite team.

and to canuck fans. are you actually concerned that cloutier is hurt? personally i'm a bigger hedburg fan than cloutier, even with cloutier's good play recently.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Vancouver has benefitted on the PP, which was a huge (but welcome) surprise in game one after a pathetic regular season on the PP. Game 2 had 2 blatent goaltender interference calls missed, both of which resulted in goals. Jovo's was more blatent, but whatever...

I just hope Rucinsky can hit an open net this time! :D

Ohlund should pull a Chelios and become a sweater like the one Bert wore in our last playoff match with Detroit.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:laugh: It was pretty funny seeing the puck hit the post... i bet Rucinsky was thinkin "thank god there's a fight and nobody noticed i missed an open net" :D

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
wow. tough break for the canadians giving up that last goal.

tough break for us if we don't get the start of the vancouver/calgary game because of this OT.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Nashville is giving Detroit a series 3-0 tonight was the final. The Preditors may exit in round 1 but they ain't going quietly.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You saw it coming, Montreal outplayed Boston and still lost!

No justice I swear it!

Brent

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
that was the oddest play i've ever seen decide a game.

tough break for the canadians, especially after IMO outplaying the bruins pretty much the entire game (from what I saw)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks