What's new

2004 NCAA Football season (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I would love to see the teams settle who is number 1 on the field and not the media in the polls.

I believe that the top 4 teams should have a playoff.
That is the only fair way to settle any debate.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have great admiration for the Kansas State Head Coach. Here's a man of integrity. One of his players breaks the team rules, coming in 5 hours after curfew, and he suspends him from the game. Well, actually, he'll let him play, but at least he won't start. Well, actually, no, he'll get to start and won't be punished at all.

I guess I take it back. I have no respect for this man of no integrity, and I don't suspect any of his players will have any respect for the so-called team rules next year, since they would never be enforced if it might make the coach look bad on the field. :rolleyes

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But this KSU QB was sleep walking for most of the 1st quarter, the heard coach would have been better off to bench the QB for a quarter. :D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I would have started him too. The kid got torn up in the press and labeled as though he had been arrested and charged when that wasn't what happened. No punishment Snyder could dish out is comparable to what the kid went through.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Coming from a Kansas resident :). The UT coach benched his best WR for the first half tonight and last year Bowden benched Rix for the whole game.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Just to be clear, my post had nothing to do with the allegations against him. I don't believe any team punishment should be meted out for unproven accusations. But it seems clear that, consensual or not, long past curfew he was out having sex, and breaking the team rules. In the end it didn't matter, but there's already so much of a sham with much of college sports (like academics being important), that it's certainly nice when you see a coach putting something ahead of winning at all costs.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I would have also agreed if Snyder had shut him down for a quarter. At the same time, I get it the other way; if the idea is to penalize the kid, I don't know what kind of worse penalty the kid could have gotten outside of what already happened and the way it was (falsely) presented nationwide.

He -should- have sat a quarter. And, the way he played the first quarter, the cats would have been no different, maybe better off. But I also get the idea of trying to say, in light of what happens, that the U stands behind him as well... I think if it had not happened w/the national press, he probably would have sat... I know Snyder yanked Chad May, one of the best QBs he ever had for being 30 minutes late to a practice years ago.. but that was a team event. I think the way the media crowned the kid, this was partly Snyder saying "F- the media, you released the kid's name to national press and ran with a story that wasn't true"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Snyder will have a tough time enforcing team rules since he made an exception for his QB. Tressel did a similar thing last year with Maurice Clarrett after his "oral make-up exam" fiasco, and I bet he regrets it. Clarrett helped win a national championship for OSU last year, but he created lots of headaches this season.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Snyder is a coward. He had to win that game to cement his program (and career) on a national level. Instead he will deservingly be remembered as the guy who gets four automatic wins added to his record every year by playing bottom feeders and then losing two out of the three ranked teams he plays in the Big 12(not by choice). I mean, this guy has actually turned down harder bowls just to play easier opponents. He is a horrible ambassodor for the state of Kansas. If this was a non BCS game (like the Holiday Bowl), I bet he would have sat Roberson.

PS Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Guilty or not, Ell should know better.

On a related note, any lawyers out there? I hear there's a a thing being circulated around that's a consentual sex form. Can somebody explain to me how a document like that couldn't be held up in court?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Re: GT's crushing of Tulsa in the Humanitarian Bowl: Just say no to Blue turf! Damn, that was tough to watch that blue turf today.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Snyder is a coward. He had to win that game to cement his program (and career) on a national level. Instead he will deservingly be remembered as the guy who gets four automatic wins added to his record every year by playing bottom feeders and then losing two out of the three ranked teams he plays in the Big 12(not by choice). I mean, this guy has actually turned down harder bowls just to play easier opponents. He is a horrible ambassodor for the state of Kansas. If this was a non BCS game (like the Holiday Bowl), I bet he would have sat Roberson.

PS Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Well, KU would count as one of those bottom feeders, you know ;)

But let's see.. beat OU last two times we met, beat Nebraska, Colorado.. not all bottom feeders :)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Re: GT's crushing of Tulsa in the Humanitarian Bowl: Just say no to Blue turf! Damn, that was tough to watch that blue turf today.
Wat u say Willis??!!

When I was in the service a friend showed me how to "acquire" a taste for Scotch wiskey. He bought a bottle of Chivas Regal and after several attempts, I finally "acquired" the taste for Scotch. At least for Johnny Walker Red and Black.

Blue turf (and scotch) is an acquired taste. I think it is the most fun turf in football. Maybe it is part of the reason the Broncos have such a success at home.

Wife and I went out to the game and enjoyed the first half. The second half was a dissapointment as the Tulsa QB just could not hold on to the ball. If Boise State had played Tech I think the score would have been the same. BSU 52, Tech 10.

It was the coldest H-Bowl I've attended, but the mid-30's temp was not bad as there was no wind till the fourth quarter.

GT running back got 307 yards in an impressive afternoon.

Last week Boise State lost a QB recruit to GT. Could have been a replacement for us with the graduation of Ryan Dinwiddie.

Former BSU coach Huston Nutt looks like he will stay with his Hogs. Nice raise though.

BSU could now move up a notch or two in the polls. With a new QB next year, I think we will drop out of the top 25. It takes very balanced teams for mid-majors to compete with top BCS teams.

Patrick, I looked around and didn't see you man. I had a spare overcoat and some muffs you could have used. We haf to tuffen you up dude.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I was happy being in the southeast, enjoying 65 degree weather.
Ah dude, your wuss factor is too high. You could have gone snowmobiling and tubing with the players. They all seemed to enjoy and have a good time going up to the mountains. You may have seen snow on the sidelines, but we have only had four inches all winter in the valley. My lawn stays green all winter.

I'm not sure I would trade that for four months of 90/90 temp/humidity down there in the summer. I don't like it too cold or too humid. I've lived a lot of places and Boise is the best mix of climate I have seen. The only climate I've heard people say they like better is San Diego - unless you like more than one season.

I'll bet the players were more comfortable today than they would be playing in September in the heat and humidity.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
But let's see.. beat OU last two times we met, beat Nebraska, Colorado.. not all bottom feeders
And, like I said, he didn't play them by choice. Only a K-State fan could defend Snyders embarrassing non conference scheduling (which is always the easiest in the Big 12). ;)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
If Boise State had played Tech I think the score would have been the same. BSU 52, Tech 10.
I doubt that very seriously. Blue Staduimturf University only beat Tulsa by a TD this year. No, this is not the best measure of comparision but it's all I got. After BSU or maybe it was the conference suits stated that GT wasn't good enough for BSU, the Blueturfers would have walked into a swarm .....and a loss.

While I'm at it. LSU is the best team in the country ....if they win tonight. Maybe I have a little West Coast Bias but I know I have State of Georgia Bias. LSU beat UGA 2 times ....they are ok with me.

I agree that the BCS system is flawed but it will spit out the same results with constant inputs. No so with the opinion polls.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
And, like I said, he didn't play them by choice. Only a K-State fan could defend Snyders embarrassing non conference scheduling (which is always the easiest in the Big 12).
Played USC last year and the year before.. and beat them both times.. and I think, by this years results, and last year (when they had Carson Palmer) they are also not a bottom feeder ;)

The reality is, KSU donor trustees put a strap on Snyder also... he has to sign games which generate or break even revenue; so he can only do a home-home. This means that if we book an agreement, that team has to play a game at KSU while we play one there. Our non-conference schedule is all played at home for the revenue (period).

We offered Home-Home to Washington State (turned down, they wanted a 2 for 1) and Home-Home to Georgia Tech (no go).

The reality is, football is about making money; and one thing Snyder has done very well is keep his program in the black..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks