What's new

2004 Major League Baseball Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
And these are the Mets..... :)

Still they have what looks to be a potent offense.

On the Dodger side of the plate, I'm pretty happy with Milton Bradley. While he's caused some turmoil in the clubhouse by how they had to arrange their outfield, he has a live bat and is making lots of contact and seems to be a spark.

That and Jeff Weaver looked pretty good. Then again anybody with a decent arm looks good in Dodger Stadium.

LewB

Screenwriter

I am possibly one of the biggest Jeter fans in 'the evil empire'. Having said that, without Mo Rivera I have to wonder whether any one would be complaining about the Yanks always winning. Sure, Boone hit the home run against the Red Sox, but don't forget that Mo pitched 3, count 'em 3 shut out innings at a point when the pressure could not have been more intense. He hadn't pitched 3 innings since he was setting up for Wetland. I believe that Mo is destined for the HOF. When I go to Yankee Stadium I hope for a close game in the 9th, so i can hear 'Enter Sandman' on the P.A. and do my 'I'm not worthy' as the goose bumps start to rise.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Don't Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig and Berra have their monuments so wouldn't they be included in choosing a modern day Yankee, one that's playing now?

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see Torre has signed a new three year deal with the Yankees, thus, I know of at least one unhappy Yankee fan on this board.

Edit:
Torre signs a new contract through the 2007 season and will be a Yankee Advisor six years after the 2007 season. Little doubt his number will be retired and a monument will be in place for him.

Crawdaddy

Phil L

Supporting Actor

You're right. I misread the sentence. Thought he meant choosing one Yankee from all time to start a team.

John Madia

Second Unit

Yes but I don't think they'll have any trouble getting him to wave it. Delgado accepting a trade would mean that it strengthens Toronto next year and gives him a chance to get a ring. After the season is over, Delgado could just resign with Toronto.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oy! Smoltz gives up yet another home run, which tied the game for the Cubs in the top of the 9th in a 1-0 game at the time. Hope he can get it into gear, otherwise, the Braves bullpen is going to be hurting for that go-to guy of a closer.

LewB

Screenwriter
Got the urge to go to the Yanks-White Sox game on 4/10. Hit the Yanks web site the night before and scored a ticket in the 'Field Championship' box seats. I was 6 rows back from the field and just a tad to the 3rd base side of the screen behind home plate. Nice! I guess only looking for 1 ticket is good sometimes. Cost with ticketmaster 'vig', $93. Decided to take Metro North from home to the city instead of driving. The train was clean, comfortable and on time. For those of you unfamiliar with the Metro North setup, the train goes right past yankeee Stadium, there is no stop there. You must travel to the 125th street station in Manhattan, walk a block to the subway and then take the #4 train back up to the ballpark. I had not been in the subway in years. Bought a metro card (no more tokens) and got up to the Bronx. The subway car/station was clean and in good condition :emoji_thumbsup: Total travel time station to station, 2 Hours. Got a 'free' Yankees Calendar (sponsored by Adidas) upon entry. Went to monument park as I was way early. There were 2 White Sox fans in the line and a bunch of us acted as tour guides. See, Yankee fans can get along with Sox fans ! If you are the least bit interested in baseball, this is a must see.
Here are this year's starting prices:
Sausage & pepper sandwich with a beer from the waitress, $16 not including tip. I actually like the waitress idea as it keeps the legions of vendors out of your way during the game. Scorecard, $7. Yearbook, $20. Official Adidas Yankee polo shirt $65. I am providing these prices as a public service, I am not complaining !
Now for the complaining: The Yanks could only muster 4 hits against the White Sox and lost the game 7-3 in a 'manageable' 2:35.
Highlite of the day was after the game. I saw a drunk jawing at a NYC cop outside the park after the game. The drunk pushes the cop and starts running away. The cop calls for backup and takes chase. 2 guys who appear to be civilians help the cop tackle the guy. The backup arrives and they cuff the guy while giving him a concrete facial. The 2 civilians leave as the cops take the guy away. I say that these guys were not cops because other cops in plain clothes came to help. I then realized a few things: that guy was the first noticable drunk I'd seen all day, New Yorkers DO get involved!, NEVER lay a finger on a cop (I knew that already).
The trip home was just as easy as the trip down.
Should be an interesting season. LETS GO YANKS !

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I know it's early, but the Marlins are looking really scary with the way Beckett and Willis are performing. Meanwhile, the Phillies are 1-6 and just got booed in their new park. NL East is shaping up to be an interesting division.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It didn't really take them long to start booing the Phillies in their new park, and I'm not surprised.

I am liking Atlanta's offense this season so far, even though it is a lot different from last year's offense, they can score runs without hitting a lot of home runs. I'd like to see our pitching get better it hasn't been good that I've seen so far, you can't spot teams 10 run leads and expect to come back although they did put 6 on the board.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well I have not commented on the Braves yet. Offense is doing fine, scoring runs and not needing homers. Pitching is terrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks