2004 Honda Valkyrie Rune

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shawn C, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know there are some motorcycle enthusiasts out there who can appreciate this new 2004 Honda Valkyrie Rune. I have a 2000 Valkyrie myself, but this thing is outrageous. It's basically EXACTLY the same as it's prototype that made the rounds last year. Now THIS is a BOLD design.
    [​IMG]

2. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

It seems Honda really outdid themselves on this one...that is one Radical looking ride!!!!

TimK

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Wow, I like.
    Are they really going to sell this?
    I had already started convincing myself to get the VTX Retro.

4. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Yowza. That's some bike. 6 cylinders and a beautiful look. Too bad I'm looking to buy a car and not a bike. I think that's the one I would buy.

-Peter

Bill_D -- like your signature. Used to work at Moffett Field back when we had dozens of P-3's operating out of the field. Love the droning sound as they came in over the field!

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Damn that's one hot ride[​IMG]
    Brent

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I prefer sportbikes myself, but I appreciate all bikes from an academic standpoint. This is taking the power cruiser concept to an extreme. Leave it to Honda.

Is the powerplant still 1,520cc, or has Honda upgraded to the GoldWing's 1,800cc mill?

7. Jack Briggs

And that front suspension ...

The monitor I'm looking at presently doesn't resolve the detail finely enough. Is that a "springer"-style fork?

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I am also more of a sport bike lover though I know my brother is probably drooling right now. [​IMG]
    He has a 2000 Valkerie and I am sure he is already thinking about selling to get one of these bad boys.
    KyleS

9. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Yes, it has the 1800cc motor. [​IMG]

10. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

It's not an old-style "SPRINGER" suspension..here is the word from Honda :
    • Trailing bottom-link front suspension transfers axle load through pushrods and linkage to two upper shocks-one housing the main spring and one a sub-spring and damping system. This unique suspension system offers 3.9 inches of compliant travel and superior stability.
    • New Unit Pro-Link rear suspension is patterned after RC211V GP racer's. The upper shock mount is contained within the swingarm rather than the frame. With no top frame-mount for the shock, this unique system eliminates negative suspension energy from being transmitted into the frame, allowing optimum frame rigidity and better handling in corners. The Unit Pro-Link design also permits a low seat height of 27.2 inches, and 3.9 inches of wheel travel.
    Here is a site with more pics:
    http://sa750.com/valkrune/valkrune.htm

11. Jack Briggs

Interesting! Even with a genre largely considered not at the cutting edge (i.e., cruisers), Honda still makes a brilliant technological statement. That is one interesting exercise in front suspension. Very interesting.

I've ridden the first-generation Valk a few times (a co-worker's bike), and marveled at the silky smoothness of that Flat Six. Unlike the 'Wing, though, the Valk' makes you feel more in touch with your surroundings. I like it when the suspension transmits the feel of the road to the rider. The 'Wing, as great as that touring machine is, feels way too much like a car.

12. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

eeeeenteresting.
    not my bag, but an interesting idea. I'd hate to drop it with that big head sticking out there, sort of like the old BMW airheads. I'm guessing from the looks of the geometry handling might be a little wonky, but I people into power cruisers don't really care.
    I'll wait until the italians make power cruisers, by the time I'm old enough to want one, they probably will [​IMG]
    speaking of prot's, honda needs to produce the NAS and suzuki needs to produce the B king, then there will be some interesting rides out there.
    2003 is shaping up to be a fantastic year for scoots. the 600rr, the new r6 (beautiful!) the zx6, lots of action in the supersport class. Rumors of an SV1000 and an all new SV650. Very good year. I'll be interested to see what aprilia races in 2004, since I think they're gonna pass on 2k3

14. Jack Briggs

Philip: What's the news on a 600RR? Is Honda recasting the CBR600 again? What's the scoop? Thanks. JB

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...umentID=155998
    they could call it the f5, guess 600rr sounds more updated and speedy. Gotta sell it to all the first time buyers that have no business on a race rep 600 [​IMG]
    I really do prefer the new R6, it'll be interesting to see how they do when the rags get them this summer. Speficially I'm interested in how the new casting process yamaha is using works out. The underseat exhaust is pretty trick (*cough*cough* for a honda) I do have to give them that.

16. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Front end looks like an update of the old earls front suspension
    wish I had bought a valkyrie instead of my 95 goldwing SE
    anyone want to buy a 95 goldwing SE?[​IMG]

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no [​IMG]
    that big fucker weighs more than my car [​IMG]

18. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Darn, I was hoping for more of the "chopper" look, 21' front wheel and all that [​IMG]
    It's cool, but just not my cup-o-tea

19. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Reminds me of the Dodge Viper and Volkswagon's New Beetle. When the concept cars first came out, the public's reaction was pretty much the same.
    "Build it!!!"
    And they were, with only a few refinements applied to their original designs. Honda will definitely sell quite a few of these babies in the first year.

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Like all Honda cruisers save the Magna, I personally find that design to be ugly. Who came up with that exhaust? Ugh!