What's new

2004 Golden Globes (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wow, Scarlett must've been a bitch on the set or something, because Sofia didn't thank her either.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I was also shocked that Fran popped up there, but she is cute as a button.

The music wins are a good sign for ROTK, but Mystic still has the Penn win on deck I would say.

Director is wide open, you have to wonder if Coppola can steal it from Jackson.

I wish I had all the Angels in America on TIVO but I missed some while dealing with my dad over the holidays. Need to fill those gaps so I can watch it.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that when you say that you are directly stating that the nominees that ARE named are all unworthy crap with no critical appeal or talent.
Okay, you aren't saying they are crap, but you are saying that they aren't worthy of nomination in the least because otherwise it would be IMPOSSIBLE to distinguish between "buying" a nomination (or whatever process you imagine to be in place other than actual merit) and a nomination based on merit of performance, unless you somehow think that there is a definable absolute 5 best to be nominated and that any deviation from that list implies a process defiant of the merit of performances.

Seriously, explain how you know they aren't based on actual excellence if you think that the nominations are excellent or worthy of top consideration, if not the 5-6 actual "best". Because it sounds to me very much like you are saying that clearly the nominations have nothing to do with the actual work due to some obvious evidence. Since the primary evidence is the actual results (ie, who got the nominations) then it would appear you take great exception to the "obviously" wrong nomination choices.

Or do you think they got it mostly right, but only by some alternate method that works exactly as good as if they based it on merit? And if that is the case then who gives a shit if the results are still the same?

It really bugs me when people blast something, but then won't commit to all the baggage that comes with taking that stance, in this case standing behind the idea that all these nominations are "wrong" including Penn, Robbins, and so on.

To me it looks very much like merit had a great deal to do with the nominations this year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont normally watch the globes as i find it to be a popularity contest and not much else, but has it always shown clips of the ending of movies as they just did for the michael douglas montage?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Great speech.

I'm so used to getting LOTR getting trumped at the last minute. If it does in fact win BP, my heart my actually expload :)

Congrats to Pete!

Kami

Screenwriter
Hurray! :D Great speech too. I'm so happy he got it. Priceless look on Elijah's face too. :D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yay PJ! Who-hoo! Bring on that Oscar, dammit.

Hey, he didn't thank Scarlet Johanssen either! (ha ha, little joke there, I kid the previous commenters on this thread :D )

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Seth, two words: About Schmidt. Won Best Dramatic Actor and Best Screenplay at the Globes last year, no Oscar nom for Best Picture.
True, but then last year was a much stronger field.

Last year my scoring had all the films in this order:
Chicago
Hours
GONY
Adaptation
About Schmidt
Far From Heaven

The Pianist (tied with FFH)
TTT
Frida
Road to Perdition

So after the top 3 it got messy kinda. Again, it doesn't look for noms, just the winner, and by this point the scoring included the actual Oscar noms themselves (obviously I don't use Best Pix since its trying to chose from that group).

This year only has one real odd-man out unless we think that In America can make a shocker move (or perhaps Nemo out of nowhere).

For LiT to be out it would mean that M&C, Seabiscuit, and Cold Mountain were all in. That could happen, but right now LiT has a LOT of momentum.

Then again let's compare:

Best Film nom (drama vs comedy) - advantage Schmidt
Best Director nom - tie
Best Screenplay win - tie
Best Actor win (drama vs comedy) - advantage Schmidt
Best Supporting Actress nom - tie

And Coppola and Payne both directed and won for writing. So your comparison is incredible strong actually...except LOTR is not "behind" it this time and neither is a haunting WW2 story of Jewish surivival by a respected director now working outside the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks