What's new

2004 Film List (1 Viewer)

Arman

Screenwriter
I'm back! (with vengeance) :D

Updating my list with 4 fantastic (A-/A/A+) and highly recommended 2004 films which I all saw yesterday (back 2 back 2 back 2 back), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Touching the Void, The Dreamers and The Passion of the Christ.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man, I've been waiting to get my wife to go see Touching the Void. It'll likely get pulled before I get to see it.

I'm adding
Jersey Girl
8 of 10

It had many funny moments in the Kevin Smith style and Carlin was especially likeable in his role, but the film was definitely too sugary, too formula, to be considered a great Smith film. Good by the genre's standards in general but I was surprised by some of the film's sappier moments. I thought it was the weakest of Smith's films so far. It has lots of genuine moments too but its just not as sharp and fresh as a film like Chasing Amy.

But man oh man is Liv Tyler really beautiful.

Arman

Screenwriter
Okay, after thinking about it for 4 days, here's the ranking and scorecards of my 4 best of 2004 so far :

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - A+, (98)
2. Touching the Void - A, (95)
3. The Dreamers - A, (94)
4. The Passion of the Christ - A-, (90)

Yes, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a mind-boggling, emotionally moving and creatively dazzling cinematic masterpiece.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Updated with 5 movies this week:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - :star::star::star:½, a clever bit of science fiction which left me with a couple nagging questions.

Hellboy - :star::star::star:½, thoroughly enjoyable pulp fiction.

Trilogy: After The Life - :star::star::star:, the final part of Lucas Belvaux's experiment which connects the other two.

Dawn Of The Dead - :star::star:½, pretty decent as videogames go.

Intermission - :star::star:¾, a decent (but slight) interconnecting-plotlines thing from Ireland.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Updated with (I think) France's delightful submission for this year's "Best Foreign Language Film" Oscar, Bon Voyage.

This WWII caper is the most fun I've had in a theater thus far this year.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Updated my list to reflect having seen:

Taking Lives
Secret Window
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Spartan

I've got a feeling that at the end of the year, ESOTSM is going to be pretty high on the Top 30 list.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hellboy
8 of 10

I really loved the film as a character piece in which the main point for me was to watch Hellboy and Abe do stuff and use their various gadgets. Who cares what they are defeating, although the clockwork villan was also fascinating to watch, I just enjoyed the dialog and personalities of the two supernatural heros. To much of the subplot characters were underdeveloped to push the film into 10 and all-time great status, but it was a very fun summer popcorn type film. I'm ready to see some more of Hellboy, which is a pretty solid compliment to the filmmakers I'd say.

Also, in contrasting Hellboy with Jersey Girl, I'm going to back Jersey Girl back down to a 7 instead of 8.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Just added:
Spartan, awesome movie. I was amazed at how great this was, I didn't expect that much from it...
Only problem was the terribly poor quailty of the projection/audio at the 2nd run theater, guess you get what you pay for.;)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I appear to be the only one around who didn't like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I thought it was pretentious nonsense, unfunny, not romantic, and poorly structured with way too much running time being given to the annoying supporting cast story. Kirsten Dunst made me want to claw my eyes out anytime she wasn't in her underwear. And Gondrey seemed to be letting the cast do whatever they wanted since Winslet and Carrey didn't even look like they were in the same movie at times. C-

Next Up: Kill Bill v2, Dawn of the Dead (if I can ever find time to get to the theater)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
March saw my monthly film total continuing to decline with only 31 films viewed plus 4 commentaries. With my April vacation putting a dent in this month's viewing, it looks like this month's total will dip even lower.

Since I only rated 4 of the 31 movies I saw as "A"'s, I'll go ahead and include the "A-"'s as well:

Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa) (DVD Own), A
Live Flesh (Pedro Almodovar) (DVD Rent), A
Lola (Rainer Werner Fassbinder) (DVD Own), A
A Page Of Madness (Teinosuke Kinugasa) (16mm Projection), A

Death In Venice (Luchino Visconti) (DVD Rent), A-
Kikujiro (Takeshi Kitano) (DVD Rent), A-
The Marriage Of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder) (DVD Own), A-
Obsession (Brian DePalma) (DVD Rent), A-
Richard III (Laurence Olivier) (DVD Rent), A-
School Of Rock (Richard Linkletter) (DVD Rent, A-
Veronika Voss (Rainer Werner Fassbinder) (DVD Own), A-
Yankee Doodle Dandy (Michael Curtiz) (DVD Own), A-

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Updated with three movies:

Jersey Girl - :star::star:¾, a good reminder that Ben Affleck can act when given goo material but otherwise nothing special.

Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed - :star::star::star:, a kids' movie that amused me more than I expected.

Dogville - :star:¾, a borderline painful three hours that fails as entertainment and parable.

Yes, I saw the last two on consecutive nights and no, I don't find the relative ratings peculiar at all.

(BTW, Michael/Robert - are you guys going to be cleaning this thread like Jason W. occasionally did? It must have twice as many update posts as lists now)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Updated my list with the links for my reviews of Kill Bill Volume II, The Punisher and United States of Leland.

Also added ratings for Mean Girls and 13 Going on 30

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks