What's new

2004 Critics and Other Organizations Top 10 Lists (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
I was a little surprised to see that Mel Gibson's' Passion of the Christ never mentioned. I was a little skeptical when I rented it, but decided to keep an open mind ( Agnostic as I'am). What I found, IMHO, was a beautifully made movie that incredibly never crossed the line of exploitation. Not for the squeamish of course, it stayed with its intention that Mel wanted to show that Christ was paying for the sins of mankind, it never fell over in to exploitation that it could have. It's really a remarkable achievement given it's purpose. Artistically, few directors could achieve that balance or sway over that razor thin edge Mel went over.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I was a little surprised to see that Mel Gibson's' Passion of the Christ never mentioned"

Me too. I thought JC would get lots of actors noms, not to mention Cinematography, direction, etc

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Isn't Christ is beaten for most of the movie? That's pretty exploitive.

Glad Before Sunset is getting some recognition. Hopefully more people will go rent it now.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Isn't Christ is beaten for most of the movie? That's pretty exploitive."

I'd refer that question to the POTC discussion thread, as there is no way to answer that question in detail without violating board rules. Just in general, I find the film no more "exploitational" than Saving Private Ryan, or any other historical film about a violent, historical event.

Jim Caviezel's absence in the Golden Globes is a let-down, but I can't say I'm surprised. People who support the film shouldn't get angry about it, though, or feel slighted (I think this trend will likley continue all the way to the AMPAS nominations). The point of the movie wasn't to win awards, and in fact, I applaud Mel Gibson's decision to not openly campaign for an Oscar.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, there is an easy way to answer it without crossing the line. It is a Passion Play, a term which has a very specific meaning. look it up and your answer is there.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
PETER TRAVERS (Rolling Stones)

1. Sideways
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Million Dollar Baby
4. Aviator
5. Incredibles
6. Kinsey
7. Closer
8. Finding Neverland
9. Kill Bill Vol. 2
10. Fahrenheit 9/11

~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Sideways' kudos keep piling up.

TORONTO FILM CRITICS

Best Film:Sideways

Best Actor:Paul Giamatti, Sideways

Best Actress:Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake

Best Supporting Actor:Clive Owen, Closer

Best Supporting Actress:Virginia Madsen, Sideways

Best Director:Michel Gondry, Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind

Best Screenplay:Charlie Kaufman, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

~Edwin

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Probably just as laughable as your choice."

I think it is sad and borderline disgusting how these two films are pitted against each other all the time in the press and I wish it would stop.

Anyhoo..

NYTimes Picks EASTWOOD'S Million Dollar Baby as Best of the Year. Roger Ebert agrees...more to come...

Geremia P.

Stunt Coordinator
You shouldn't have been so surprised. It's "Tomatometer" score over at RottenTomatoes is about 50%. That's way below about 100 other movies released this year including Ocean's Twelve and SpongeBob SquarePants.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
BROADCAST FILM CRITICS ASSOCIATION

Aviator, The
Collateral
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Finding Neverland
Hotel Rwanda
Kinsey
Million Dollar Baby
Phantom of the Opera, The
Ray
Sideways

~Edwin

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"You shouldn't have been so surprised. It's "Tomatometer" score over at RottenTomatoes is about 50%. That's way below about 100 other movies released this year including Ocean's Twelve and SpongeBob SquarePants."

It is a movie about faith speaking specifically to the faithful. I guarantee you those 50% of internet and newspapers critics didn't give the film a positive review weren't panning the acting or the art direction or the cinematography -- the craftsmanship of the film is impeccable. They were panning the ideas behind the movie, or Mel Gibson's vision for it, as is their right.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Sideways" could end up taking most of the major critics' awards. The last time I remember that happening was with "L.A. Confidential" back in '97. If memory serves, it ended up winning two Oscars.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Terry, you're right, I just looked up LA Confidential's Oscar totals: 9 noms, 2 wins, Supporting Actress for Basinger and Adapted Screenplay for Hanson and Helgeland.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I comtinue to be baffled the appearance of Collateral on (or right at the edge of) these lists.

--
H

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
I am disappointed with the inclusionof Super size me on several of these lists. I think Touching the Void would have been a more respectable choice.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Current Tally: Films With Most Mentions - 1st paren.; #1 Mentions - 2nd paren.

Top 10:

1. Sideways (16) (11-#1)
2. Million Dollar Baby (8)
3. Aviator, The (7)
...Kinsey (7)
5. Before Sunset (6)
...Maria Full Of Grace (6)
7. Incredibles, The (5)
8. Bad Education (4)
...Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (4)
...House of Flying Daggers (4)

Runners Up:

Collateral (3)
Fahrenheit 9/11 (3)
Finding Neverland (3) (1-#1)
Motorcycle Diaries, The (3)
Very Long Engagement, A (3)

~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks