What's new

2004 Academy Awards: Early predictions and discussion (2 Viewers)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I still think that Eternal Sunshine, Passion of the Christ, and possibly F911 will be nominated for Best Picture....but Moore's ravings during his Oscar speech for Bowling for Columbine probably pissed off a lot of voters. When he was giving the speech, I kept saying "Shut up! You're hurting your chances to ever win again!" Little did I know he would make another Oscar worthy film so quickly afterwards!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Chris Rock and primetime T.V. do not mix. This is a terrible choice.

Nothing I have seen or heard about excites me much this Oscar year.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Chris Rock...rocks my boat!
frown.gif

I'd prefer Will Smith...
smile.gif

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Hey guyz, how about Kill Bill vol. 2 for best film? I also want to see Tarantino nominated for at least best original screenplay. Come on... It's a good movie.
wink.gif

After they totally snubbed Vol. 1 I would like to see them give props to Vol. 2.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
quote:After they totally snubbed Vol. 1 I would like to see them give props to Vol. 2.

As would I, but it's not gonna happen. KBII was released too early in the year, and never gathered enough momentum to make it a serious Oscar contender.

But I would LOVE to see David Carradine sneak in with a Best Supporting Actor nom...

As for F9/11 - I think Poland hit the nail on the head. If Bush wins, it's out of the running. If Kerry wins, it becomes a serious contender, because many will perceive the film as having contributed to that outcome.

PotC deserves a number of nominations IMO, but whether the Academy concurs is a complete mystery. I can see it going either way. One of the more interesting stories to watch this year.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I actually didn't care much for F9/11... I was bored by it. It felt like one of those movies you saw in school. Just a big list of facts. Also many of the connections he made between Bush and other shady people seemed rather vague at best. He was really trying to connect some dots that probably didn't necessarily connect.

But anyway... If F9/11 gets nominated I'd be rather soured by it. But even if it is nominated, I don't think it has a chance in hell of winning. I think Moore should have kept it in the running for Best Documentary. It would have had a real good shot of winning that one, but not film of the year.

George See

Second Unit
I would really love to see Eternal Sunshine with some Noms, Screenplay, Actor, Best Picture. Granted we are just now starting to get the big Oscar hopefulls released in theaters, but thus far i've not seen anything this year that impressed me more.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
quote:I would really love to see Eternal Sunshine with some Noms, Screenplay, Actor, Best Picture. Granted we are just now starting to get the big Oscar hopefulls released in theaters, but thus far i've not seen anything this year that impressed me more.

I've gotten the feeling over the last 6 weeks as movies have opened and the word has gotten out about upcoming releases, that ESOTSM's chances of grabbing nominations has gotten better and better. It's just a gut feeling, but if the next 10 weeks are anything like the last 6, I think that the movie has a good shot at grabbing some nominations. The critic's awards and the GG noms will play a part also.

I would love it if Jim Carrey could be the host of the show one year.
smile.gif

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
quote:As for F9/11 - I think Poland hit the nail on the head. If Bush wins, it's out of the running. If Kerry wins, it becomes a serious contender, because many will perceive the film as having contributed to that outcome.
Is this the first time a Presidetial election decided the Oscars?

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I really don't care who gets nominated as long as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind gets nominated for best picture. And it really should win. Which other movie from this year do you think will really resonate with audiences ten years from now?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
quote:I would love it if Jim Carrey could be the host of the show one year.

He'd be a far better choice than Chris Rock. But, he probably has no interest...and his schedule is likely to be too busy. Oh well...

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
quote:Which other movie from this year do you think will really resonate with audiences ten years from now?

Sideways. Maybe Hotel Rwanda.

That being said, not one of those 3 films is a typical Oscar film. Sure, one or even two (long shot) could get noms...but, it's likely they won't. The best films are not always a part of Oscar.

I'm still with you...ESotSM is still #1 on my list for the year.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised by the announcement Chris Rock would be hosting as well. He certainly doesn't fit the usual mold of an Oscar host, but as long as we don't have to endure anymore Billy and Whoopi i'm happy.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I like the choice of Chris Rock. The Academy might be trying to get a younger audience, but Rock is still a very talented guy.

The year he hosted the MTV Video Awards was an absolute riot, however I don't know if he'll have that kind of leeway again. I doubt he'll be allowed to tear into the celebrities in the crowd like he did at the MTV Awards.

As for noms, it's hard to say since the traditional "Oscar release season" hasn't even started yet. I would love to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind get nominated for Best Picture though.

George See

Second Unit
Based upon the trailer alone "A very long engagement" looks like it has some serious potential. I know you can't tell much from just a trailer but something about it just looks right to me, should get a foreign language nod at least.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Yeah, AVLE looks amazing, looks to be much more than the Amelie 2 Miramax wants people to think it is (although that would be perfectly fine by me). I love that visual style, with the yellow filters and hyper-fluid camera movement. Can't wait! Also, on the 'For Your Consideration' ads for this, it reads something to the effect of " this film is NOT elegible for the foreign film category...but IS elegible in all other categories." Don't know why the hell France didn't pick it.

Why does Poland say 'the entire oscar season will be exposed' by Thanksgiving? Has he forgotten the months of December and January?? To me he seems rather uninformed (if I do say so myself), calling Jim Carrey's performance "too silly;" evidently, he hasn't seen ESOTSM. He also seems to be unaware that Finding Neverland is backed by Miramax, not considering a major player; he then says that "expectations are low" for Alexander. Whoa, I did not know that. And Joel "Bad Company" Schumacher, is, IMO, in no way a 'potential alternate' for BD. And F9/11 is, again IMO, in no way even a possibility for BP (not saying it's a bad film at all, just that nothing like this has ever been nominated).

Regards,

Nathan

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't anyone else find it outrageous and borderline insane that Academy voters can base their votes on terciary concerns?

Mel Gibson's father said woeful hateful things about the Holocaust, so therefore, Mel Gibson's movie about the death of Christ should not be considered in any major categories?

F911's Oscar chances hinge on the outcome of the election?

A woman has a good chance at winning an Oscar if she plays an aging actress?

Martin Scorsese stands a good chance because he has never won before? What if his movie blows?

What sort of madness is this? In 2000, the best film of the year - Fellowship of the Ring - was overlooked in favor of an unsatisfying whitewashed biopic, because the Academy was waiting for LOTR: Return of the King so it could reward the series as a whole. Say WHAT!?!? What about the films that would be released at the same time as ROTK? What if ROTK wasn't the best of the series and didn't deserve to beat the other films it was in competition with?

Is this any way to run a railroad? How can these awards have ANY merit or meaning, when year after year after year, it turns out that terciary Industry Politics -- NOT ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT -- dictate what wins the awards. Might as well change the name of the statue from "Oscar" to "Salieri".

"And the nominees for Most Effective Rumour Mongering are...the Salieri goes to..."

Pete-D

Screenwriter
It is kinda funny because I didn't feel ROTK was the best film in the trilogy. Some of the more memorable stuff was left for the DVD in favor of an ending that just went on and on and on.

Jackson should've ended it with an iconic image, like the ships sailing away into the misty horizon.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
And so it begins...
quote:What sort of madness is this?

C'mon, Ernest, we've been over this before. It's the same madness that has been the Oscars for decades. Railing against it is just pissing in the wind. :D
quote:In 2000, the best film of the year - Fellowship of the Ring - was overlooked in favor of an unsatisfying whitewashed biopic, because the Academy was waiting for LOTR: Return of the King so it could reward the series as a whole.

Hmmm. I would say FotR was overlooked so the Academy could give a make-up to Ron Howard for their snub of him & Apollo 13 back in 1996.
wink.gif

Soem might call that a cliched image...

This is really for another thread, but Jackson ended the movie EXACTLY as he should have - just like the book, with the quiet scene of Sam coming home to his family. After all, that's what everyone was fighting for - so that normal people like Sam & Rosie could live their lives and raise their children in peace and freedom. Very simple scene, yet incredibly profound. Bravo to Jackson, Walsh & Boyens for sticking with Tolkien on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks