2003 Panasonic Players/Recorders teaser...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 9, 2003.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
  2. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

DVD-S35S
    DVD Player Multi-Format Playback (DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW, JPEG, MP3 and WMA) Progressive Scan

Model number and functionality most resembles the XP30.

DVD-S55S
    DVD Player High Quality Audio Playback (DVD-Audio Multi Channel, Digital Re-Master) Monitor Selector and Depth Enhancer Multi-Format Playback (DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW, JPEG, MP3 and WMA)

Model number and functionality most resembles the XP50.

DVD-F65S and 65K
    DVD Player Multi-Format Playback (DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 and WMA) Progressive Scan

Model number and functionality most resembles the RP62.

DVD-F85S
    DVD Player High Quality Audio Playback (DVD-Audio Multi Channel, Digital Re-Master) Monitor Selector and Depth Enhancer Multi-Format Playback (DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW, JPEG, MP3 and WMA)

I think we have the replacement for the RP82!?!

Nothing said about a progressive scan changer with DVD-A. Perhaps that is why the CP72 is still easy to find?

Tim

3. Han

Han Second Unit

What's up with all the silver players with all these companies? Anyway, someone at AVS said the 65 and 85 are both 5 disc changers, but no news on what chipset(s) yet.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I'm sure I saw a 5-disc DVD-A changer in the Panasonic booth. All the new players follow the recent Microsoft/Panasonic HiMAT specs, so if you want full compatibility (or at least all the features), you'll want to use Media Player 9 for your MP3s and I guess Movie Maker 2 for video. For MP3s, there is now full support for playlists and ID3 tag info. Menu navigation was also significantly faster. Very nice stuff!

5. TimothyE

My understanding is that the 65 and the 85 are both 5-disc changers. I'm most curious about the rumor that Panasonic is no longer going to use the Faroudja deinterlacer. That would be a killer - but I fear very possible considering that they're one of the few manufacturers not paying for the Faroudja DCDi logo royalties.

Tim

6. dave.lopp

dave.lopp Auditioning

I'm in a pickle and would like to hear anyone's advice. I'm taking a three month trip imminently, after which I will set up a home theater system. I want a Panny CP72 because of the reports I've seen here, but here's the conundrum: buy now, get the discount but not test the unit (I will be gone for 3 months), or wait until the end of April and hope the unit is still around by then. Any thoughts? What is the average defect rate for a decent manufacturer?

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

10. MarkR

MarkR Extra

I agree. Otherwise what's the difference between the S55 and the F85?

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I was told by someone at panasonic today there is a new 2003 model of the RP-91. I'm having a problem that my RP-91 won't playback high bitrate MP3s. The tech I spoke to told me the 2003 model of the RP-91 will support playback of mp3's up to the max of 320kb. I didn't hear anything about the new model... anyone else? I didn't make it to CES this year, I'd like to know what they had on display.

Just to cast my vote.... Black components!!!! I HATE the 80's flash back of silver components.

12. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

Why is it that the 'low-end' S35 is listed with progressive scan, but the higher models S55 and F85 do not list it? Is this just another case of Panasonic screwing up their website information?

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

80's? I think that's more likely the 70's! Regardless, I most certainly do agree. Not only do I not like the look of the silver components, but as a retailer, it's a royal pain in butt managing inventory on two different colours for just about every component!

14. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

No OGG File Playback?!?!?!? That's a bummer.

15. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

16. TimothyE

Thanks for the link, greg_t. Reading between the lines, it's all but obvious that Panasonic is dropping the use of the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer. Looks like I might have to go ahead and get one of the remaining CP72's.

Tim