What's new

2003 MLB World Series thread (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Gee whiz on a stick!!!!!!

WHY ON EARTH didn't Cabrera (and mgr.) argue vehemently on the Foul Ball-turned-into-DP???

Guess Marlins just want to give up two outs for nothin'!! Ridiculous.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I haven't seen that DVD before. I wish MLB would reissue the World Series highlights tapes they've done in the past on DVD so I could throw out the ones I have from 87-00 (have to keep the 84 and 86 ones since I have separate from the "offical" video versions put out by NBC).

I think the reason they didn't argue is because they've already written off this game.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I hear ya Eric. They could fit a TON of those short "official" MLB WS videos onto a single DVD for sure. Many are a mere 29 or 30 minutes in length (mainly the early ones; 1943-1950s).

The older videos are not really all that compelling (IMO), due to no TV being present at the time. We're given just the token "one angle" of the newsreel guy who's planted up on the roof and filming the whole game. Not much variety in shot angles in that. :laugh:

The new WS DVDs are very nice. ('01 and '02).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some interesting-looking features on that above DVD set:

Features:
Bonus DVD:
Historic Official Game Programs and Scorecards
Ceremonial First Pitches
The Ultimate World Series Line-up
Unforgettable Clinching Outs and Celebrations
Most Valuable Player Award Winners
Best of the Championship Clubhouse
The Storytellers

--------------------

Looks like another one for the To-Get List.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
MLB was way behind the curve in coming up with decent highlights films. The quality between what NFL Films did in the 60s and 70s and what MLB did in that period is really a wide gulf.

It wasn't until 1987 that a World Series video finally started using the telecast audio and play by play instead of using phony sound effects to underscore everything if you can believe it.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Yep. Only sour note overall but at least Contreras didn't make it interesting for the and Rivera stays rested.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yanks in great shape it would seem. Rivera is super-rested. Give NY the trophy now. :D

(Another advantage is G.6 & 7, if need be, are @ NY -- thanks to the AL All-Stars winning in July. Good new rule there I think. Makes the mid-summer Classic more intriguing.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Game 2 = 2:56 game time. A shockingly-short WS game. I'm now wondering when was the last Series game to last less than 3 hrs.?? Most go 3:30 or more.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
thanks to the AL All-Stars winning in July.
Well, considering that - I believe - the Yankees' road record was better than their home record this year, I don't know if that's something to be thankful for just yet.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Actually I believe the road and home record was the same for the Yankees or only a half game difference percentage wise overall.

I so hate having night classes all this week!

John Madia

Second Unit
I turned it off after the Yankees were up three nothing. So far, it doesn't have the feeling of a World Series. I have a feeling all that will change once it moves to pro player stadium.

While the Yankees have a very good road record, they're still going to be handicapped by not having a DH.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
They've overcome that dilemma four of five times in the past. The Giambi-Johnson quandry is the same as the Tino Martinez-Cecil Fielder quandry Torre had in 96 and it worked out great. With Sierra and Johnson on the bench, Torre will know how to employ that silly National League strategy if he has to.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
This is the point when Atlanta blew a 6-0 lead to us in Game 4 of the 96 WS.
Atlanta blew the lead to the Yankees, not the other way around. If it wasn't the Yankees, I probably would've thought that the Marlins had a chance.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Torre will know how to employ that silly National League strategy if he has to
That's just called baseball strategy. The DH is the most ridiculous thing in baseball next to allowing Fox to have broadcast rights and the Allstar game. Sorry didn't mean to open up that can of worms in this thread but couldn't resist.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
To me, there is nothing significant added to the game by having a pitcher come to bat. I have followed baseball since 1976 and thus, the DH has always been there for as long as I've followed the game. To me it has become "tradition" for it to be there. I prefer having a real player in the lineup.

Until the minor leagues, the Japanese leagues and every other league other than the antiquated National League get rid of the DH I see no reason why the AL should get rid of theirs. The complaint I hear of late is how it lets headhunting pitchers off the hook but that is a crock since I don't recall Bob Gibson, Juan Marichat etc. getting drilled with much frequency when they came to bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks