What's new

2003 ML Baseball Playoff Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Sorry to change the subject but has anyone heard who's pitching on Saturday? I think both teams used their starting rotation in the last game. Maybe Contreras for the Yanks? Or Wells because he only faced a few batters? I'm sure it won't be Weaver. Why is he even on the postseason roster?

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
There is nothing greater than chanting "1918".

Like when we beat Seattle in 2001 and chanted "Oaklands better!" or "1948" for the Indians.

Unlike 'Yankees Suck' theres nothing profane.

Its 4 numbers strung together, How is that classless?

Thats a redicilous statement, teams talk about a hostle NY crowd (the most knowledgable and creative in sports), and now you want us to 'respect' the Red Sox? Fuck the Red Sox! Call me when you win a World Series.
Derick Lowe pointing to his croch, the hugs, shaved heads for the average players while the stars dont shave, Mannys HR trot, Pedros additude, and your calling fans classless?

19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/ 19-18 clap, clap clap, clap, clap/

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Maybe during Saturday's game Yankee fans will start chanting "1997"? The curse of Felix Heredia?

Then again, probably not.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I was at the game last night. I'm drinking hot water with honey in the hopes of getting my voice back.

What an amazing evening.

Sorry, again, Sox fans. Wasn't your year.

Let's go Yankees!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'll try to keep this short, I've used up enough energy already. Ick. It is very, very bizarre reading through this thread and seeing the exact same things I was thinking during the game. Me: "Hey, there's only 5 outs left, and the Sox are up by 3, this is when the Cubs lost it right?"
Oy my God! You must've read what I was saying! Of course I posted it right at the time and even called when Pedro should've been pulled. I'm not asking for gloification just that if I'm able to see what's going on (since I'm not a true baseball fan) then why couldn't Grady? You're right thouhg, he was riding on emotion, trying to get Pedro a legacy of sorts. But that seems to be The Sox's MO - they get emotional and throw the game. Weird.

What the end-all be-all result that I desired was a Cubs/Red Sox WS. Why? Why not "the best team because that's what you should want if youre a REAL fan"? Well, because I too tire of all this curse talk. If one of them wins, at least there's one down, one to go. I'd like to see someone win it that hasn't ever won it before. And even last year, when My Oakland Raiders team lost to Tampa Bay, IW as happoy somewhat that a team that never won (or even went) a Supoer Bowl did. That's why. It's not becaue I hate the Yankees or their fans (though some of them...) - It's because I like the underdog; I like to spread the wealth. To me, it makes for more compelling sports. As it stands now, I don't know if watching baseball is compelling anymore because it seems that the Yankees are always going to go out of the AL; like when the Bills kept going to the SuperBowl. I didn't watch the Dallas/Buffalo SB because I knew who was going to win. Does that make me not a true football fan? Hell no, at least not in sane people's eyes. I've been a fan of football much longer than baseball, been a Raider fan just as long. For someone to tell me that I am not a "true" fan, well, tha'ts quite an insult. But I must consider the source and move on. I'm not being negative towards the fans or team of NY, just pointing out that I would like ot see their methods changed, to in my opinion, save the game. That's what a "true" fan is.

MikeM

Screenwriter
In the entire post season, nothing to me felt as classless as the Red Sox bullpen wearing "Li~ly" on their backs and prompting the Fenway crowd to chant against pitcher Ted Lilly of Oakland. I've never seen anything like that from players.

Say what you will about the fans in NY and Boston, but in the entire post season, the players of the Red Sox showed so little class that I was actually rooting for the Yankees. I've never, ever, rooted for the Yanks, and that says a hell of a lot.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Grady Little is by far the single most moronic baseball manager in the history of the game"

Um...if that's true, then what does that make Joe Kerrigan or Butch Hobson? And would you rather have some of the castoffs we Yankee fans had like Stump Merrill etc.?

I won't say Little didn't screw up but he did a good job as manager this season and a Steinbrenneresque solution of canning him isn't going to help the Red Sox.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"But I guess since I am anti-Yankee that means I hate all of baseball."

If that's in reference to remarks of mine, you are inventing something I never said.

"First off, I stated that it was a joke;"

I saw no symbols to indicate it was a joke. And it's still a stupid remark when the POV I expressed was perfectly legit. And I hold myself to the same standard because I've been guilty of tuning out when the Yankees got knocked out, but in the end it was not the right thing to do and I regret being asleep for much of the 97 WS until Game 7.

"I stated that I rooted for other teams besides mine - I watched throughout the DS and CS but I'm not a "true baseball fan" - I'm certain there are several others like me that are disappointe inthe way it turned out yet you continue to insult them. That's classless if I've ever seen it."

No sir, my defintion of classless is someone who uses unfunny "jokes" as an excuse to bash someone's perspective. I think it's a legit argument that the baseball fans who are going to tune out the Fall Classic because of the matchup aren't doing the health of the game that much good because that would mean that in order for ratings to ever go up, we should just rig the outcome based on the sexiness of the teams' background history.

"it stated that the -manner- in which the Yanks do what they do is a cancer; they propagate the rising salaries"

Come off it. Teams have been trying to unload players with big contracts for years now, and that includes the Yankees who were able to get your precious Cardinals to take Sterling Hitchcock off our hands this past season. That has nothing to do with propagating rising salaries if they decide they can take on the contract of a player that another team overpaid for in the first place. And ultimately, one other team was able to take him off the Yankees hands as well so I see no special privilege the Yankees got out of that.

The bottom line is what I said before. In Major League Baseball *more* teams have a chance to win the World Series then in any other sport with their championship. I will take baseball's ratio over basketball's, hockey's and even the NFL's any day (their so-called parity hasn't done wonders for my New York Jets). Until I see someone say the NBA should be overhauled to prevent future Jordan Bulls dynasties or Kobe Bryant Lakers dynasties from happening again, I'm not about to think baseball should be singled out (or do those who want their idea of "parity" just want every team to have 81-81 seasons?)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Same here. I'm not particularly a fan of either team but after last Saturday nothing made me happer last night than knowing that Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramierez would be watching the World Series from their home recliners.

Now that they're gone, I'll enjoy the WS and probably root for Florida. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
In the entire post season, nothing to me felt as classless as the Red Sox bullpen wearing "Li~ly" on their backs and prompting the Fenway crowd to chant against pitcher Ted Lilly of Oakland. I've never seen anything like that from players.
I agree 100% that it was classless. But to say you've never seen it from players before????

I refer you (quite a few years ago) to a Yankee pitcher who gave the middle finger.......:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks