What's new

2003 Little League World Series (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow! That game between the TX team and the MA team was just off the hook! The comebacks by both teams were amazing, and it's a shame one team has to lose one of these wild games. That was a very entertaining game, and you don't get the emotional outcry like that from the players on the pro level.

Anyone else watching the LLWS this year?

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I always try to catch the LLWS every year. This year has been a little harder due to my new work schedule, but I have still managed to catch a few games. I like watching because they are playing for the love of the game, not a salary.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yep! It was quite a comeback from 10-2 deficit (MA over TX) early in the game and then TX mounted a tremendous rally to tie it up in the 6th inning at 10-10, TX brought in their ace pitcher (don't know the name), who struck out the side to put the game into extra innings. Then in the 7th inning, TX gets 2 players on base, and their ace hits a 3-run homer to push the lead to 13-10, and then they are retired to end their top of the inning.

Then in the bottom of the 7th inning, the TX ace could not find the plate, and issues a few walks, gives up a hit, it's now 13-11, and the TX coach has no choice but to bring in another pitcher because their ace's adreneline from hitting the 3-run homer in the top of the inning has made it too difficult for him to settle down and throw strikes. The MA batters were disciplined enough to watch the pitches and didn't even think about swinging until a called strike materialized, and it seldom did in that inning.

So with MA players on at 1st and 3rd, the new pitcher (IIRC) walks the next batter, loading up the bases for one of MA's big tall hitters. The TX coach calls for a quick meeting with his pitcher, who was told to pitch it away away away from the big right-handed batter coming to the plate. The TX coach tells the catcher to set up outside (basically behind the left handed batter's box), and what does the pitcher do? He throws pitches that paint the outside corner and gets a couple of strikes on the batter (totally by mistake). Then the batter hits the next pitch away into right field, and plates 2 runs to tie up the ballgame. TX was crushed at that point it seemed.

Two are still on base for MA, and I think another walk loaded up the bases between a couple of outs, so it's 2 outs, bases loaded with a lefty at bat. The pitch count gets to 2-2, maybe 3-2, and the batter squibs off a dribbler down the 3rd base line, and stays fair. The 3rd baseman has no play at the plate, he runs in and collects the ball and fires to 1st base, but a millisecond too late as the batter beats the throw, and the winning run was scored from 3rd base to make it a 14-13 come from behind win for MA.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
And the kids are playing better then ever. There have been some incredible infield plays (defense) during the series.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Count me in for the LLWS. I've been rooting for the Saugus, MA team the whole way through (I wonder why, hint: check location :) ). That game was just incredible, seeing them give up six runs like that, then give up three more and still come back to win the game. Wow, just wow.

Here's hoping they beat up the Florida team and get to the finals of the whole thing.

And what's a sports thread without a few predictions eh? My pick is Japan over Saugus in the finals.

Lowell

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The throw was definitely a millisecond early, but I'm sure Saugus will take the call. :D

I thought for sure the Red-head was going to K to end it. He was so pissed about the other grounder to 3rd in the bottom of the 6th that he blew the lead, gave up 3 more in the 7th, and had himself down 0-2 when the other team was actually trying to pitch around him.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
All for the want of a strike which I think it was but not called in the fourth inning. On the other hand, the outs called at home and third against the Japenese team were questionable I think. Wait till next year!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I loved how both team ran towards the center field statue paying homage to it, and congratulated each other, with smiles and good sportsmanship all around.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably gonna get hammered for this;

I was a little bit dismayed at the Florida team's reaction. Did they not care at all that they just got their ass kicked?

There wasn't a whole lot of post game coverage and it looked like only about half the Florida team was in the outfield so I'm hoping there were at least a few Florida players sulking in the dugout. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
(Pulls out hammer)
Thwack! Thwack! Thwack!

They're kids. Even if they lost, it was still probably the best baseball game they'd ever been a part of. They've met people from foreign countries, gone on a big trip, stayed in a hotel, and probably played baseball in the best facilities they've ever played at. Sure, they lost, but they've also won a lot on the trip, and kids aren't jaded major league players. This last game was only part of the adventure.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
{takes hammer from Jason}
thump..thwack !

And the Florida team is the best little league team in the United States, a country with more than a little competetion at that level.

Being a big-time little leaguer in my youth, I can remember when my brother's team won their district (ooooh) and how much of a big deal that was (for those in the know, this was back when there were area tournaments, well, there are still area tournaments, but for many LL the district is now the first tourney they go to, so you had to win Area and then district)....

They had a ceremony with the flag, this would be the equivalent, of maybe a high school team winning their district, so anyway, that was a huge deal and winning the U.S. championship...whoa ! I'll bet those Florida kids were sky high, and they should be. That is an amazing accomplishment they will treasure for a long time.

By the way, does anyone know about this: I had this discussion with someone the other day, and he was telling me the international teams draw from much larger populations than those in the United States. In other words, the tokyo team comes from a rather large un-broken area, whereas little league rules stipulate that U.S. cities must break their leagues in 2 if the population gets larger than ??? (cant remember but it was low, like 30,000).

The point is this: apparently some international teams would be the equivalent of an all-star team from all of San Diego or a much larger population. see the difference ?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I was a little bit dismayed at the Florida team's reaction. Did they not care at all that they just got their ass kicked?
I've played enough sports to know everyone handles defeat differently. Some people cry like children while some of us just accept the fact that we loss and sulking around will not change that fact.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Also, remember, the game was basically decided in the 4th inning, so the US kids had plenty of time to know they had their lunch handed to them by the other team. They were already prepared for the game to be over.

Now if it was a tight 1-0 game that was decided on the last at bat, sure, I would see one of the teams crying their eyes out. But 10 minutes later, the kids are usually back to normal, trading pins, pulling pranks on one another, etc.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Ive been around Little leagues for years and coached in all-star tourneys (EARLY in the process twords Williamsport) and when you get the "Best of the Best" jocks at around the 12-13 age youd be amazed at how they react to being romped!
The really good kids have amazing respect for the kids who just kicked thier ass and they kinda appreciate playing them. The odd thing is that when they lose 2-1, thats when thier ultra pissed.
Plus the Japanese teams are so polite and respectful, now if they trash talked, there would be beef.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks