2003 Football lineup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Tressler, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

I have been a madden supporter for years.. but may look at 2k3 from sega or gameday 2003 from 989.. Plus gameday is only $39 .. wonder why

whats your opinion?

jim

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Madden is an annual "no brainer" purchase for me. I'll get it again this year - mostly because it has a proven track record and also because I can import my NCAA draftee's into Madden.

Im probably going to give Sega's game a chance too. I read some good and bad reviews last year. I'll probably wait until the game is out and I get some feedback before picking it up.

As far as 989 offering goes, IMO, it should START in the $19.99 bargain bin and prove that it belongs on the shelf next to Madden and NFL 2K3. What a flaming turd that series has been in recent year.

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I've loved the 2K series since the first one came out and have never really cared for Madden, so 2K3 is a no-brainer for me. I like the fact the Visual Concepts pretty much strips down their game engine and builds it back from the ground up every year rather than just making some minor graphical enhancements and adding a few more useless features like a certain software giant does.[​IMG]

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

3 can be eliminated right away: espn2night, qb club and especially gameday.
    in the short span of two years 989 has produced the 7 worst sports games ever created. I have a feeiling EA's relationship with Sony may have something to do with this, it is not possible to construct games that bad. I mean how does that team wake up and go to work? Look at the new features on EB, "players look like there real-life counterparts". My answer, they are doing it on purpose so ea has less comp for that ea gives ps2 online madden etc.
    I have X-box, so Fever looks very tempting especially since it's shipping so early. I will get Madden, only because of NCAA 2003, EA has some nerve to exclude online on X-box. 2K3 looks great too and this is the first year it takes advantage of the new hardware. This will be a really tough decision. I think you can go by NFL2K3 will be the easiest to pick up and play(2K3's franchise will top fever's though), Fever may be in between, and Madden is for the perfectionist.

5. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

I have been a Madden fan since the SNES/Genesis days, and I love the franchise. However I have also played NFL2K series over the past few years. I like them both as of 2002.
    However, let me say that I have had a chance to play NFL2K3 and it is awesome. I think that as of 2003 and going forward Madden will need a lot more work just to keep up. I firmly believe that Madden will lose the NFL gaming popularity crown within 2-3 years.
    Sega is just doing amazing things with NFL2k3. And the online play will help blow away Madden. The franchise mode is more developed than anything I have yet to see. The graphics are taking major steps forward. You will see blades of grass, tremendous collision detection, and full stadium reflections in each helmet.... All this in real time. The gameplay and graphics are just so impressive.
    I just hope that EA steps up to the challenge in football, since they definitely did not in basketball, as the NBA2k series destroys NBA Live by such a huge margin.

6. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The last couple of days I've been playing a lot of video football with my brother. We've been playing both NFL2K2 on the XBox and Madden 2002 on the PS2. Not counting the graphical differences, I definitely prefer Madden. It's just more realistic. I've been a big supporter of the NFL2K series (owned both on the DC) but I don't really like 2K2. This leaves me in a bit of a quandry because I don't know which version to buy for the XBox for this year. I'll probably end up just waiting until I can rent both NFL2K3 and Madden 2003 and spend a weekend comparing them.

7. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

that is true i had NFL 2K2 for a while and it has some serious issues, like horrible blocking and AI, dropped passes and arcadey play. Madden 2002 is much better Bui I think this year Sega will put it all together. Like I said before people, console football games will not get much better than this year imo, next year people will be comlaining how 04' is the same as 03'. I still think Madden will be the most realistic, but 2K2 may be funner with 2 players. As far as basketball goes, NBA 2K3 will be a must-buy, but this years Live looks like EA is putting some time into it, so I will see how it is.

8. Andrew_Sch

I was a little let down by 2K2, but I just can't stand how unapproachable Madden is. I like realism in sports games, but not so much that it makes the game no fun and near impossible to play.

9. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I have been a Madden supporter for years, but this year EA is not getting my money for football games. Their choices to leave online support out of the X-Box version, as well as removing online franchise support from the PC version means I am just not interested. Even thought I may play 90% of the games in single-player mode, I would like to have the option to play online with friends.

NFL2k3 or Fever? Don't know yet... I like what I've heard about NFL2k3... I wish there was another PC choice, as both my friend and I have recently built new computers, and it would be fun to play online franchise...

10. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

Have any of you played Fever? It's horrible! You can't really make any deep passes. You see someone open 30 yards down the field, throw the ball to them, and the ball takes 5 seconds to get there. By the time it gets to your reciever, he is now covered by a defender that was far away when the ball was thrown.

As for the others, I'm going with Madden. I've just liked what they've done the past few years, though I must say 2002 somewhat dissapointed me by cutting the RB out of being an optional reciever in many plays. Gameday has been horrible since 98 (which I must say, although unrealistic, is probably my favorite football game ever). NFL2K to was alright, but I just never really got into it. I will certainly give 2K3 a chance though.

11. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I played Fever and I didn't think it was "horrible." I do agree that "deep passes" were few and far between - but no more so than they are in the real NFL.

However, I would say that both Madden and 2K3 will probably be better than Fever.

2K3 is my choice.

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I really liked the feature in NFL Fever where you could press a button before snapping the ball and see a quick overlay of the receivers routes. Very handy for learning new plays.

It'll come down to the results of renting NFL Fever and NFL2k3. Does NFL2k3 have support for online play (when it is available)? If either of them had widescreen support, that'd be the decision maker right there, but I'm not too hopefull.

-Dave

14. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

15. Larry C

Larry C Stunt Coordinator

Well I was a BIG Madden follower till I played the NFL 2K2. I know thins game had some minor issues but, even with that I enjoyed it WAY more than Madden! And I am a HARDCORE sports gamer!

16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

17. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

whoa guys i was in target and they had an NFL 2K3 movie running, if that is any indication of the game i will not be getting it. first there was no audio/commentary to judge but that is small.
    The game looks like NFL2K2! The video showed the same "tv-cam". One thing I saw disturbed me: Jerome Bettis went through 8-9 tackles with no loss of momentum. also on the sideline a rb caught a screen, and took a left angle towards the sideline. First tackler, stiff armed, next tackler stiff aremed, third one, stiff armed but this time the rb was forced out of bounds. I thought they worked on the arcade gameplay, the blocking didn't look too hot to me either As I owner of 2K2 i recognized the same problems instantly, i will see the reviews but it looks like i'm getting madden and fever since that is online(i will see if fever is good too.)

18. Andrew_Sch

Damien, the reason all those tackles were broken so easily is that the demo was probably on rookie mode, which allows tackles to be broken way too easily, but this is fixed on pro and all-pro levels. I just hope you're wrong about the bad line play returning though.[​IMG]

19. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

yeah that could be right, it looked like it was a promo, i never thought of that

20. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not supporting EA Sports anymore, they always seem to be on a high horse with tons of cash stuffed in there pockets from the highest bidder, Sony. They didn't support the Dreamcast, and hardly wanted to support anything Nintendo, they are only offering online with Sony, gee I wonder why? $$ It just doesn't seem fair to XBOX and Cube owners to get less of a product simply because EA and Sony are sleeping together. Sega is supporting all systems equally, plus they've got the experience with online play as they have been coding it in their software for over 2 years now with the Dreamcast, I think that's gonna make some sort of a difference. Well that's my opinion biased it may be, but just as biased as EA's.