What's new

2003 Film List (3 Viewers)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The Hulk
7.5 of 10
Here is what I said in the Hulk thread (which was also lost and reposted). I will move this long review to the Hulk review thread once it is posted and edit this back to a simple blurb/pointer to that thread.
The problem is that the story is at times rather sloppy, and yes, some of the CGI is a little fake looking. However, much of the CGI problem lies more in the action being depicted than the CGI work itself. I found myself in total belief of most of the interaction, if not all of it, but also thinking that many moments were just goofy things to have happen. I loved the Hulk comics of the 80's, so that type of action did not bother me.
The film features some very Looney Toons styled dogs at one point, for example. And my reaction was less subdued than many of the laughs that some moments unintentionally received, like a moment when the Hulk is sent flying into a patch of desert. I was willing to look past those moments, but much of my audience wasn't. Take that as a warning.
But on the other hand the film has many good dialog/acting moments, especially Nolte's work. Lee has set a dark tone as has the script...that is an emotionally dark tone, not death and destruction (though there is a bit of that too). In fact, despite it's moments of action in the 2nd half, the film is much less an action film than CTHD was. In fact you might consider the tone of CTHD more than what you might expect from a summer action flick.
Elfman's score has his classic hero touches, yet also is more faithful to Lee's more Asian style of scoring (again think CTHD). I liked the effect.
Finally, Lee has gone fully with a comic cell/frame style. Almost constantly the film transistions between scenes in a way the shows or implies the various blocks you would see in a comic. It's very creative and consistent, and yet it also often seems in contradiction to the darker tone of the film.
Summerizing, CGI pretty good, some of the action and narrative is not so hot, other parts are rock solid. Good acting. Story wavers between interesting and silly (somewhat in the way Lost World did).
I give it a 7.5/10 at this point. It was no X2 or Spidey but better than Daredevil. In some ways it feels like a creative Ang Lee experiment, perhaps in a way that it might come to be seen as creative genius from an average initial reception. And I might be well in the minority by not loving it. We will see.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm also going to list Animatrix as a whole, rather than shorts, and give the whole thing an 8. More on artistry and creativity than on narrative, though a couple of the shorts were really solid to me. I won't be counting this "feature" toward the top 10, but I also don't want to load down my list with 9 different short entries since I don't keep a separate shorts list.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm also going to list Animatrix as a whole, rather than shorts, and give the whole thing an 8.
Ditto on both counts.
My 2003 List is made up of four (actually five) sections:
1. Movies released already.
2. Movies scheduled for release.
3. DTV and Cable movies (This is where I put The Animatrix.)
4. Foreign/Festival/Random stuff that doesn't have a U.S. release date yet.
And a section for all the OLD (pre-2002) movies I've just seen for the first time.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Updated with The Hulk (****/*****). Can't remember what I wrote in my little blurb yesterday...

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Legend:
:emoji_thumbsup: : worth seeing
:thumbsdown: : not worth seeing
4 :star: rating system
/10 numerical rating
E to A+ alphabetical rating
2003 Film List
Last Updated: AUGUST.03.2003
Criteria: 2003 US Original Theatrical Release (except Fantasia movies)
Number of Films Seen: 24
Just Married

:thumbsdown: Really Not Worth Seeing
1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star:
3.1/10 F
Comments: A piss poor movie. Immature.

The Recruit

:thumbsdown: Not Worth Seeing
:star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star:
6.1/10 C
Comments: It actually has a good first half, but the second half was kinda predictable (thanks to the trailer) and the story wasn't very interesting.

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

:emoji_thumbsup: Worth Seeing
:star: :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star:
8.1/10 B-
Comments: Great fun movie but the third act was pretty generic and not enough original.

Shanghai Knights

:emoji_thumbsup: A Bit Worth Seeing
:star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star:
7.1/10 C+
Comments: Funny movie but not out hilarious. Chan's okai, Wilson's okai.

Daredevil

7.1/10 C+
Comments: A good enough small superhero movie. Everything was soso.

Old School

:star: / :star: :star: :star: :star:
4.4/10 E+
Comments: I couldn't find this any funny and probably laughed once. I'm not american :)

Bringin Down The House

5.1/10 D
Comments: Some small laughs but it's not my type. Sorry. Lame-O. For me.

Cradle 2 The Grave

:thumbsdown: Not Really Worth Seeing
6.2/10 C-
Comments: Generic Jet Li movie, which is the same as before just with different actors and settings and stories. Not bad, but not new.

Identity

:star: :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star:
7.2/10 C+
Comments: Kinda cool small slasher/thriller movie. A bit original but not enough scary and a tad bit i didn't like from the ending. Overall, fresh entertainment.

X2: X-MEN UNITED

:star: :star: :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star:
9.2/10 A
Comments: Hell good of a Superhero movie. Almost everything was perfect. A bit dragging at the end, but overall, everything was pretty great.

The Matrix Reloaded

:star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star:
8.9/10 B+
Comments: Not as good as expected, and the FX even let down. A cool chase scene and a story complicated enough. Some stuffs cool, some stuffs not.

Bruce Almighty

:thumbsdown: Not At All Worth Seeing
5.3/10 D
Comments: Fun but couldn't laugh a bit. It's neutral funny, not out loud funny. The jokes just tease and dont make me explode.

2 Fast 2 Furious

7.2/10 C+
Comments: Brainless fun movie. Ending could've been more tense/action but overall the pace was fast and furious.

Finding Nemo

:emoji_thumbsup: Ultra Worth Seeing
:star: :star: :star: ½ / :star: :star: :star: :star:
9.2/10 A-
Comments: Great animation movie and very much entertainment. Certainly one of the Top of the summer.

Italian Job

:star: :star: ½ / :star: :star: :star: :star:
7.2/10 C+
Comments: Small heist movie which the level of greatness is kept throughout the whole movie. Good but not outstanding. The Mini chase is boff.

HULK

8.6/10 B
Comments: Some boring parts and extended ending that i didn't like. But the action was amazing. Overall, i let it slide and kinda like it.

Charlie's Angels

7.2/10 C+

Legally Blonde 2 : Red, White and Blonde

:thumbsdown: Not Really Worth Seeing
6.5/10 C-
Comment: A soso comedy that's not really have to be made or seen. A small time killer.

Pirates Of The Carabean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl

9.3/10 A-
Comment: Entertaining pirate movie. Some repetiting stuffs but so what. Keira was gorgeous. :b

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

:thumbsdown: Hell Not Worth Seeing
5.1/10 D-
Comment: Sorry I can't comment, i slept for half the movie.

Bad Boys II

8.3/10 B
Comment: Fun enough movie with lots of explosions, laughs, and ouch & ouwh. A tiny tad bit too long but doesnt matter.

Tomb Raider : The Cradle Of Life

6.2/10 C-
Comment: Bah, Jolie does a great job of being Lara, but everything else felt flap. B.O.R.I.N.G. I hope they'll use her better in the future; I love Jolie's Croft.

Ichi The Killer (Japan, 2002)

:emoji_thumbsup: Uber Worth Seeing
:star: :star: :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star:
9.2/10 A-
Comment: This is the most saddic bloodiest disgusting movie i've ever seen. And the whole room went apemindfucked! A dude fainted in the first 15 minutes of the movie. Never seen that in my whole life. See it and get tromatised.

My Sassy Girl(Japan, 2002)

:emoji_thumbsup: Uber Worth Seeing
:star: :star: :star:
10.2/10 A+
Comment: Just THE BEST romantic movie I've ever seen. Enjoyed alot throughout the movie. Everyone loved it.

Freaky Friday

https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/2b/htf_images_smilies_thumbsup.gif Worth Seeing

7.3/10 B-
Comments: I had fun with the movie. Laughed pretty much throughout. Felt touched. Liked the girl https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/8d/htf_images_smilies_smile.gif.. ALOT.

Top 10 Most Enjoyed Movies of 2003

1. My Sassy Girl
2. Ichi The Killer
3. Finding Nemo
4. X2: X-MEN UNITED
5. Pirates Of The Carabeans: The Curse Of The Black Pearl
6. The Matrix Reloaded
7. How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days
8. Freaky Friday
9. Bad Boys II
10. 2 Fast 2 Furious

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Updated with Hulk :star: :star: 1/2 - Hollywood Homicide :star: :star: - Old School :star: :star: 1/2.
Also updated with a bunch of old films seen for the first time this year. Alot of great stuff.
Raymond

Colin-H

Second Unit
Updated with The Hulk, three Nicholson flicks including Chinatown, and a pre–Usual Suspects Kevin Spacey indie.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
New additions to the top and bottom 10 areas:
The Hulk may be the best comic book movie ever made. It's got a solid story, wonderfully larger-than-life action set pieces, every actor gives exactly the performance his character needs, and in retrospect Ang Lee's way of breaking the screen into panels seems like such an obvious thing to do that you wonder why Sam Raimi or Tim Burton didn't come up with it. Its one weakness may be the last action scene, which doesn't live up to its potential. Still, a job well done. :star::star::star:¾
Ichi The Killer is also based on a comic book, but this grotesque import from Japan will probably mostly appeal to folks who like gore for gore's sake. Which is too bad, because there are flashes of real talent in every facet of the movie. But that's Takashi Miike for you - his movies will elicit a strong reaction, good or bad. :star:¾

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Point of curiosity: does the newly restored version of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly qualify as a 2003 release? I haven't been listing it as such thus far, but it does contain newly-recorded dubbing, scenes that hadn't been presented theatrically in America (well, at least not officially; I'm sure someone screened an Italian print somewhere at some point), and a new soundmix. What does it take for a re-release to qualify? Presumably, the Star Wars special editions would've qualified for 1997, right? So how much is enough?
Just a thought...
DJ

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Damin,

I always count movies from the original release year. But nobody says our criterion for List inclusion must be completely uniform. If you want to include it, you should.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
What I do with such films (Lion King IMAX, restored Metropolis, limited release of the French Beauty and the Beast) is to simply set up a section of re-releases seen in theaters.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I'd say include in the year you want. The last thing we need is a battle as to who has the most film count with someone else policing it. ;)
~Edwin

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Point of curiosity: does the newly restored version of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly qualify as a 2003 release?
No; in the past I've included an ineligible or special section for re-releases, director's cuts, etc like Kirk mentioned. Otherwise, every re-release or director's cut that comes out on DVD, or network or theaters is eligible for 2003, when it really isn't. :)
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks