What's new

2003 Emmy Awards ..Who's Watching? (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I watched the season premiere for NYPD Blues and once again, rock solid writing and performances from all the cast plus I saw a familiar actor (can't remember his name, very distinguished actor though) playing an attorney. I want to say he used to be on Law and Order perhaps.
The actor who played the defense attorney was ‘Teddy’ on a short-lived but great series about a prominent defense attorney about six or seven years ago.

I can’t remember the series name just now, but it followed a single trial for a very long time—perhaps 10 episodes or so. Apparently this format was not to the public’s liking as the show was cancelled.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, the actor I was thinking of is Daniel Benzali , and I didn't realize that he's been a guest star many times on NYPD Blues over the years.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
In some ways, couldn't it be said that Murder One was a pre-cursor (though different genre) for 24? An entire season focused on one major event, although 24 takes it further by purporting to run in realtime and showing "just" one day in the life of Bauer.

Shame that Murder One didn't last beyond its 2 seasons, but having said that, there were times in the first season where the main plot hardly moved and the various B-plots, which were ultimately of little interest, dominated entire episodes. This got somewhat annoying since I was itching to find out more about the main murder trial. But just how much detail in preparing a case for trial do you want to show? Lawyering isn't anywhere as glamourous as it's made out to be on TV.

I'm somewhat surprised that Benzali hasn't managed to secure a more regular gig or star in another series, while his "successor" Anthony LaPaglia has managed it. Perhaps Benzali is now typecast as the snarling defence attorney, and most shows focus on the cops (and somewhat on the prosecutors)? Even Benzali's "pretty boy client" Jason Gedrick has secured a regular role: I suppose the added pounds helped him move into the non-himbo role he has now.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmm..I thought the season premiere of NYPD Blue was very weak. Easily the worst premiere of this great series. Dull and lazy writing should not be associated with Blue.

Sorry Karl, I was really disappointed.

And as I said in the NYPD Blue thread, I loved Dennis Franz's response to Joan Rivers who asked him why NYPD Blue isn't up for any awards, he replied "All good things must come to an end."

If Blue doesn't get better.....;)

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I'm somewhat surprised that Benzali hasn't managed to secure a more regular gig or star in another series, while his "successor" Anthony LaPaglia has managed it. Perhaps Benzali is now typecast as the snarling defence attorney, and most shows focus on the cops (and somewhat on the prosecutors)? Even Benzali's "pretty boy client" Jason Gedrick has secured a regular role: I suppose the added pounds helped him move into the non-himbo role he has now.
Benzali was pretty well tied up as perhaps THE major character on 'The Agency' for the last 2 years.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Benzali was pretty well tied up as perhaps THE major character on 'The Agency' for the last 2 years.
Oops, my bad, I don't watch Agency... :b Glad to hear he's got a good role, IMHO he's a great actor, limited in the sense that he has to play very very serious roles, but he brings great gravitas to whatever he does.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I agree with Yee-Ming too, Benzali does a great job portraying his character no matter what role he is playing. He's got my respect and although I didn't know his name before, I did recognize his face from many various shows or movies over the years. I'm sure he will be working for many more years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks